Skip navigation
This discussion is archived
chasedakota5203
Currently Being Moderated

Why do my raws look different when I view them in Adobe Bridge/Adobe Camera Raw and Canons Digital P

Feb 24, 2012 11:02 PM

Tags: #adjustment #adobe_camera_raw #raw_files #canon_t21 #digital_photo #raw_images

Hello all,

I am sorta new to taking Raw photographs and I have been been using Adobe Bridge/Camera Raw to edit. When I take my photos (I am using a Canon t2i) I have it set to save a raw and a jpg. When I view these images in Adobe Bridge/Camera Raw I notice a clear difference in the jpg and raw (I understand the whole concept behind raw vs. jpg. so im not questioning why one looks different) It is obvious all the adjustments that were applied to my jpg. vs the natural raw.  My question is: When I view the same two images in the software that came with my camera, canon digital photo professionals, the canon and raw look almost identical.... My assumption is that canon is applying the same "adjustments" to my raw as it did to the jpgs?  Has anyone used these two programs and noticed this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Michelle

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to chasedakota5203

Canon software reads the in camera settings and applies those to the RAW file just like the in Camera software, so the RAW file should open looking just like the JPG from the camera.  You can then make adjustments from that starting point.  Adobe and other third party software does not read all the in camera settings and instead applied a default set of conditions for the initial starting point, this is why the initial image you see when you open the RAW file with Camera RAW does not look like the in camera JPG.  The default camera profile for Camera RAW is Adobe Standard, which is not the same as the profiles used by the camera.  Camera RAW does have Camera profiles for the Canon 550D, which I believe is the same as the t2i.  Click on the Camera Calibration Tab in ACR (Adobe Camera RAW) and select the Camera profile that you have selected in the camera (Camera Standard, Camera Faithful, Camera Neutral, Camera Protrait, or Camera Landscape) - all profiles listed are for the camera that shot the image.  This should give you a much closer match to what you get from the camera if all other in camera parameters are at nominal values.  You can save a new default for ACR and in the future all images will open initially using the new default values. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to b2martin_a

For what it's worth, it *is* possible to have them match, but generally not very well with the out-of-box Adobe-supplied camera profiles.  A very nice individual on this forum created a Camera Raw camera profile for me that allows my Canon EOS-40D conversions in Camera Raw start out with very much the same color and tone as DPP conversions and in-camera JPEGs.  Personally I find this pleasant as a starting point because I happen to like the color Canon makes.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 7:14 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sorry to bother you two months after this post but you seem to have solved one of my biggest problems and frustrations in post processing.  I love the color rendition and tone Digital Photo Professional provides but sometimes I want to use some of the additional features in Adobe Camera Raw like sharpening, gradients, etc.  I figured out how to get a Tiff to open in Photoshop looking just like in DPP by changing to my camera profile but in ACR they're still worlds apart.  Even using the supposed Canon profiles to match my Rebel XS (Adobe Standard, Neutral, Portrait, Landscape, Faithful) I don't think my Raw images in ACR look like in DPP and I have trouble getting them that way. I'd be very interested in knowing more about that Raw camera profile your friend made- don't know if different camera's would matter.   Is it best to save a profile in ACR or use DNG Profile Editor?  I just want to start out with things looking like they do in Digital Photo Professional.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to Darren Breckles

Not everyone wants such a color match, but for those of us who do, achieving it is akin to having cake and eating it too.  It's pure pleasure to open my images through Camera Raw and be greeted by the virtually the same color I love in the previews from the embedded JPEGs as the default.

VeryLittleDifference.jpg

The wonderful guy who made this profile is named Vit Novak, and he occasionally posts here in this forum.  I tried to talk him into marketing such profiles, or even the software to make them, but he wasn't interested.

-Noel

P.S., you may feel you see slight differences between the above images, and you wouldn't be wrong.  I have set a few sliders a little off center in the HSL / Grayscale section in my defaults because there are several things I have tried to improve upon, but the color match to the Canon output is still hugely closer than anything I was able to achieve with the Adobe profiles.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 16, 2012 2:14 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

This thread might interest you:  http://forums.adobe.com/message/4336968

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 5:48 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel, I have no clue as to how to use DPP. When I do open a raw image there it usually looks awful, so I don't do anything there other than look at the file info tab (which I can't get in P'shop without it freezing my program). Do you know of any simple tutorials on how to use it?

I've often wondered how I could get my raw files to open in Lightroom and look like they do on the back of the camera instead of having to start from scratch. Would love to be able to get where you seem to be. By the way, most of my work is events and portraits using flash.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 24, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to Meri Bond

Can't say I'm an expert on DPP myself either.  I've only run it a few times myself.

If you're seeing Photoshop freeze just by looking at the File Info tab, that's certainly not expected and you should start a tread specifically to discuss that.  The forum may be able to help you get that working.

I happen to like the color my camera delivers in its embedded JPEGs (which I use to quickly review shots via IrfanView).  Starting with that color in Camera Raw by default just feels very natural and integrated.

Without a specific custom profile to help you with the task, here's my suggestions for the next best thing:

1.  Take an image with a range of different colors in it.

2.  Open the embedded JPEG also using whatever means you have to do so.

3.  Open it also in Camera Raw and make sure you're using the Camera Raw default parameters.

4.  Go into the Camera Calibration tab (little camera icon), and choose the Camera Standard profile as provided by Adobe.

5.  Tweak the various sliders so as to match the color between what you're seeing in the JPEG and Camera Raw.

6.  Save new Camera Raw defaults.

Some notes:

• Make sure you leave the White Balance on As Shot, since storing a specific white balance is probably not going to be helpful.
    • Test your settings and repeat the above to tweak them as needed using other images.
    • Keep in mind that not every application does proper color-management.  IrfanView can be set up to do so, and I don't recall whether you have to tweak a default setting to make it do that or not (it's been a while).

Hope this helps!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points