Skip navigation
Burton007
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign asterisk does not go away even after saving

Apr 20, 2012 1:46 PM

I have a file in CS4 InDesign that I have made a number of changes to, and when I saved it, then opened it again, it had the asterisk next to the title, indicating that it needs to be saved, but all I did was OPEN it. I have a Mac using Snow Leopard (purchased in 2010) and I am currently using CS4 InDesign. Other than that, InDesign works fine. I have tried doing a SAVE AS, I have tried exporting the document as an IDML file, then opening in InDesign and saving, only to see the asterisk again. Sometimes, on other docs, exporting as an IDML works. I read it gets rid of the accumulated "junk" from multiple saves. Any ideas? Like I said, just 1 or 2 files. By the way, these files were done in CS4--not an earlier version of CS, as I know that would say CONVERTED next to the name, which this does not.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to Burton007

Are these files on a netwrok drive or server?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:24 PM   in reply to Burton007

have you tried changing the location of the file , then open it in indesign and then check.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to Burton007

replace the preferences :- forums.adobe.com/thread/526990

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Burton007

If you read the thread it tells you how to manually back up and replace the prefs so if it doesn't work you don't have to recreate them. It's only a few minutes time to check and see if it works. You've already found that .idml doesn't work which suggests it isn't a file problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:34 AM   in reply to Burton007

Make sure that when you save and close the document that the IDLK file is also removed after closing. Sometimes they like to stay around. If you can't see teh IDLK file it's because it's a hidden file. Basically, the InDesign Lock (IDLK) file is there to prevent others opening the same document. But sometimes after saving and closing it can hang around.

If it is still hanging around, try backing it up and deleting that file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points