Skip navigation
JamesValis
Currently Being Moderated

Encore CS5.1 Slideshow images on Blu-ray look pixelated

Apr 20, 2012 11:22 AM

Tags: #image #5.1 #slideshow #encore #quality

I'm working with Encore CS5.1

I've got a Blu-ray project that has a number of slideshows in the special features section.  The images aew PSD files of varying sizes and aspect ratios all larger than 1920 x 1080.

I am having Encore "scale and apply matte".

The slideshows look great in the preview of the Blu-ray build as does the High Def content but when I Build the project and burn the disc the playback of the images are all pixelated but all other content looks fine.

The program seems to be doing the scaling fine for the preview but not the build.  Is there any way around this problem?

I've researched the forums on this and past discussions have revolved around previous version of Encore and the solution was to manually do the re-sizing in Photoshop or some other program.  This problem strikes me as a bug though because the images look fine in preview or it is DUE - Dreaded User Error.  Hopefully it is the latter and one of you can point me in the right direction.  Manually resizing all the images in Photoshop, rebuilding the slideshows and creating a new Blu-ray disc is not a task I relish.

Thanks,

James

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to JamesValis

You're not telling us what your transcode settings are, so that is the first place to look.

Use your test slide show and set it to H.264 CBR 30Mbps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:48 PM   in reply to JamesValis

I don't think anyone has provided a definitive statement about what Encore is doing here.

I just did 2 quick tests, and the default transcode settings do not appear to affect the slides.

H.264 defaults; used PSDs at 1920x1080.

Encore exports one m2ts per slide. They are the size of the default transcode setting, but the rate does not appear to vary: max 12Mbps no matter what project default max I set.

The source images were not very good, but looked fine.

What do you have as the default transcode?

I think you probably need to resize in Photoshop.

Look for one of Hunt's posts where he describes some of his methods.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:23 PM   in reply to JamesValis

James,

As Encore is not an Image Editing program, I would do ALL Scaling in Photoshop. Depending on your exact Images, choosing the Scaling algorithm Bicubic Smoother, or Bicubic Sharper, should yield much better results.

This ARTICLE, will give you tips on using Automate>Batch, to Scale entire folders of Image with Actions in Photoshop.

I think that you will like the results better.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Doing the Save_As PSD from PS is a good step. Too many will chose  JPEG, which compresses, and degrades the resultant Image. Do not change that.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to JamesValis

I didn't read the entire thread but I can tell one bug of En here which might be causing trouble here. The slideshow quality with MPEG 1920 is very bad. Try to use H264 codec instead of MPEG (if you are not doing so already)

-Ramesh.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:34 AM   in reply to JamesValis

Having the exact same problem. need help before mothers day!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to JamesValis

I have changed the transcode settings but this didnt help.

i can import pics to a slideshow and they look great. if i add a transition and or random pan and zoom they still look great. But once i render the slideshow they stretch a little and become very pixelated. its the way the render that causes the problem. what settings can i change that will fix that?

I have never had this problem on older versions on Encore.

using Encore CS5.1

windows 7 64bit

building a BluRay disc

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to JamesValis

bug report (and feature request) form

Have any of you tested which versions this applies to?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to marshalljohns1

A couple of obvious things to check, just in case.

1. Is the Monitor panel in Encore set to "Fit"?  If so, try 100%
    2. Are all of the images at least HD resolution, 1920x1080?
    3. Are you trying to use images in a Blu-ray project that has been changed from a DVD project?

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:47 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Jeff

1- yes

2- above 1920x1080

3- Blu-ray from the start

I have burned two discs and they come out pixelated and blurry on that as well.

I have finally resorted to using Windows Live Movie Maker for slideshows and then importing the movie in to Encore. It was a relief to be able to do that.  W.L.M.M. actually makes a nice slideshow with plenty of features that Encore should have!!!!!

thanks for the help everyone.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 2:29 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

1. Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?  We're seeing it in CS5, CS5.5 and CS6.  Our images are 1920x1080, and we've tried both PSD and JPG.

I assume only the pixel dimensions matter, and not ppi, right?  I assume color profile shouldn't matter for resolution/quality either, but fwiw, we've tried Rec. 709 for PSD images, and sRGB for jpegs.

2. For those who've done the workaround of pre-making and importing a slideshow, how do you prevent each "slide" from advancing before the user is ready?  I don't want them to advance after any amount of time, unless the user clicks the Next button.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to glennado

Thanks for reporting re versions.

You don't say, re Ramesh's post 7; mpeg2? h.264?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 4:16 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Ah, sorry.  The folks doing the encoding used mpeg2 for its better quality at high bitrates (our video program isn't so long, so  we don't have to go with the more compressed h.264).  I don't think we can (or want to) have all the video re-encoded.

Is this the problem? Do slideshows just not work well with mpeg2 projects?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to glennado

The folks doing the encoding used mpeg2 for its better quality at high bitrates (our video program isn't so long, so  we don't have to go with the more compressed h.264).  I don't think we can (or want to) have all the video re-encoded.

Is this the problem? Do slideshows just not work well with mpeg2 projects?

I think that's a "yes." I assume not "projects," just the slideshow. Ramesh will confirm.

I would re-encode a sample slideshow to see what you get. I don't think length was an issue for showing the problem.

Re your  previous question ("For those who've done the workaround of pre-making and importing a slideshow, how do you prevent each "slide" from advancing before the user is ready?  I don't want them to advance after any amount of time, unless the user clicks the Next button."), the workaround is to create a video slideshow. You don't get the slideshow controls. Post 9, James is placing chapter points at EACH slide. It wasn't clear to me whether the viewer could stay on a slide past a max time.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 23, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks so much, Stan.  I'm not doing the actual work, so I didn't know you could have both h.264 and mpeg2 items on the same Blu-ray.  Cool.  Potentially. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 12:08 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

So unless I misunderstood, the folks doing the Blu-ray don't see an option in Encore for choosing h.264 *just* for the slideshow.  Rather, it's a master project setting.  Right?  And if so, what happens if you have video assets in an h.264 project which have already been encoded as mpeg2 files?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: glennado

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 4:26 AM   in reply to glennado

Yes, I believe the project setting for default transcode is used for the slideshow and motion menus that require rendering. But you can set any other asset to be transcoded with your choice; and those or already transcoded assets that are BD compliant are not changed.

I wonder if there is more flexibiility?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 26, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Great, thanks, will pass it on, and report back how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 4:32 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It worked. Thank you again, Stan!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 5:27 PM   in reply to glennado

Excellent!

|
    Mark as: