Skip navigation
TheEditDoctor
Currently Being Moderated

Adding Clips to Premiere Pro (6) timeline default behavior video and question

Apr 20, 2012 1:48 PM

Adding a first clips to Adobe Premiere put the Insert point at the head of the video and not the end as it seems it should be. Is there a setting for this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRtXBI493LI

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

Try using the insert or overlay keys (or shortcuts for either) to place a clip in the sequence.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

Try using the backslash keyboard shortcut to scale your sequence view

to the length of the media after adding a clip instead of using the zoom tool.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

There is no such thing as Premiere Pro 6 (not until CS6 starts shipping, likely next month)

If you have Premiere 6 you need to post in http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_previous

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 3:42 PM   in reply to John T Smith

Whatever the semantics... his point is a good one and worthy of discussion here.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 4:18 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor
    But it still doesn't address the current timeline indicator position placement...

Try using the 'Go to next edit point' (Page Down) keyboard shortcut after adding a clip.

Timeline panel (keyboard shortcuts)

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Apr 20, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

It seems a mistake...

Not a mistake... just different.

Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:08 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

The quickest way of righting this is to just hit the forward slash [\] key to make the timeline zoom to your sequence duration, but that is one more step, and your feature request is duly noted.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:15 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

How the hell did you get version 6 already?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:16 PM   in reply to al_mooney

Regarding the playhead not moving to the end of the inserted clip:

Try using an insert or overwrite edit using the shourtcuts (comma or period keys). In this case, the playhead does move to the end of the inserted clip. Just not when you drag in with the mouse.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim,

Mike is a beta tester.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

Of course you can also use the End key to move to the end of the last clip. The forwawrd \ is pretty standard workflow. FCP, Color, etc uses Shift Z to resize the time line to fit in the window. Are you more used to working in Avid? I noticed the playhead does move to the end of the last clip and the timeline resized automatically which was kind of strange for me coming from Premiere and FCP.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:56 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

Mike,

Is there a reason you need the playhead at the end of the clip?  If, like in your video, you want to "do stuff" with the clip's out point after you drag it to the timeline, then just grab the end of the clip (or the last edit point in CS6) and drag.  The Program Monitor will show you the frames from the end of the clip as you drag, and not the frames under the playhead.

If you don't want to trim the clip right after you add it, then just drag the next clip to the end of the first clip.  Pr has snapping enabled by default, so the in point of the new clip will snap to the out point of the first clip.  The playhead position is irrelevant in this case.

And as others have mentioned, you can always use a keyboard-driven workflow using the comma and period keys for insert and overlay.  Since they *do* rely on the position of the playhead, the playhead will snap to the end of the clip just added, ready for you to add the next clip.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:27 PM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

Thinking about it a bit.

It is quite logical that the playhead is at the Start of the clip after a DRAG and DROP operation.

It allows instant playback of the clip just dropped in with out the necessity to go back to the start to do so.   It is likely that would have been subject of debate and criticism more so than the current behaviour.

So it is also logical that the Insert and Overlay functions (using the keyboard or the insert overlay icons) are  set up as an optional  workflow and the CTI jumps to the END for those that use a faster keyboard edit style direct from the source monitor.

I am really uncertain if I would want the clip to automatically maximise in the sequence though.  I tend to be working semi maximised anyway when I make my Inserts /overlays or Drag & Drops.

BTW - I cant recall if Drag & Drop directly to the Program Monitor has a different reaction as regards the CTI position.  Try it with the CTRL modifier as well . ( I am not at my NLE at the moment so cant check.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:31 PM   in reply to shooternz

I cant recall if Drag & Drop directly to the Program Monitor has a different reaction as regards the CTI position.

D&D to the Program Monitor works like an insert/overlay operation, so the playhead does move to the end of the clip in that case.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Thanx Jeff.

Thats one of the O.Ps issues solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to TheEditDoctor

There still is the issue, as shown in Mikes video, of small clips added to a sequence being almost invisible. This depends on the length of the visible timeline and the default for this length when creating a new sequence. It seems that a reasonable feature request for the next Pr version is to have, as a default or as a check box, that the visible timeline length of a new sequence is the same as when using the "\" key. I guess this means the timeline is as short as it can be while still showing the complete clip.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points