Skip navigation
Pierre Courtejoie 7,038 posts
Jan 11, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

What's new in Photoshop CS6 Monday 07 May, 10AM

May 4, 2012 3:02 AM

Join Senior Digital Imaging Evangelist Julieanne Kost as she shows off some of the new features of the world’s best digital imagine software, Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, part of the new Adobe Creative Cloud. See the blazingly fast performance of the new Mercury Graphics Engine and the imaging magic of Content-Aware Patch Content-Aware Move.

Learn about the new improved image processing and enhanced controls in Adobe Camera Raw 7, the new photographic blur effects, how to straighten objects using the new Adaptive Wide Angle, and more. Explore many of the timesaving and user-inspired enhancements including new type styles, re-engineered Shape layers, and the all-new Crop tool. Also explore the intuitive video editing capabilities of Photoshop CS6 and 3D capabilities of Photoshop CS6 Extended.
See why Photoshop CS6 Extended is a whole new experience in digital imaging.

register here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=detail&id=2005732&l oc=en_us

(sorry for the late notice)

___

Here is the recording of the 1 hour long ASK A CS PRO presentation of CS6 beta's new features with Product Manager Zorana Gee that took place March 30: https://my.adobeconnect.com/_a295153/p74nrb46nja/

And the link to the April 5 recording by Senior Product Manager Brian O'Neil Hughes: http://seminars.adobeconnect.com/p681r44hcz8/

The 18th of April recording needs some editing before it can be shared.

Replies
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 3, 2012 11:25 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

These presentations are great for quickly getting a familiarity with the things you can do with the new software.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2012 6:51 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

The only problem with watching an hour long intro for anything is finding the time.

Many - far too many developers of software think its all about them, forgetting that a professional user might get 10 invitations to watch Promo videos or participate in discussions every month.

I don't want to sound like a bigot but surely Noel's method of pointing you to a show you can watch after work - or in my case, during waking hours, being on the other side of the world, is a much better way to present an hour of what for Australians is stuttered and often broken video?

I'm not trying to  create controversy, just make it clear that the world doesn't end at the seaports of USA.

Doug

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 8, 2012 7:00 PM   in reply to Ryadia™

One nice thing about joining the live shows is that you can send questions in via the chat facility, and they will answer them.

Perhaps if we ask nicely Pierre will follow-up here with a link to a recording of this show, like he did the March 30 one.  These videos are great for getting some insight into the thoughts behind how things work.

And just to be clear, *I* didn't come up with a specific method of pointing people to shows...  Adobe TV has lots of good stuff published, and while I sometimes share links into that part of Adobe's site (e.g., Russell Brown's good works), I certainly can't take any credit for the content whatsoever.

You actually have time to sleep down there? 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2012 3:13 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Is there an advantage to signing in as a guest instead of your I.D?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 10, 2012 4:35 PM   in reply to Hudechrome

If you should be signing into a session that's actually about to start, yes:  Last time it would only work if I signed in as a guest!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Here is the link to the 2nd Live Demo by Senior Product Manager Bryan O'Neil Hughes:

http://seminars.adobeconnect.com/p681r44hcz8/

The Audio, and main demo kick in at the 8 minute mark - So skip ahead to that point to save yourself a few minutes!

Enjoy!

Pete

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 12, 2012 2:00 PM   in reply to Pete.Green

Thanks for that link, Pete.  I was worried for a moment, since I didn't even try to connect at noon today after Pierre said the session was delayed.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 12:57 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Am I then to assume that 12PM is US West Coastal Time? Makes quite a difference here, in the south of Norway...

Per F.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to MrPers

MrPers wrote:

Am I then to assume that 12PM is US West Coastal Time? Makes quite a difference here, in the south of Norway...

Per F.

The phrase "April 18 at 12pm PT" seems to say it all for me.  I read "PT" as "Pacific Time".  It could probably have been more preciseliy stated as PDT (Pacific Daylight savings Time).

And just everyone should know that Adobe is in California, USA (as well as the rest of the world). 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I am fully aware that most of Europe, and especially Norway, is "terra icognito" for a large percentage of the American population, and I am also aware that Adobe is also represented in other parts of The World than in California...! Which means; The transmission may be broadcasted from nearly any location on The Planet...

I note the time: 08.00AM CET! Good night! Time for bed, late Sunday evening!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to MrPers

And if I want to listen to the Berliner Philharmoniker live, I have to get up early!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

When Interantional time is considered, I've been having fruitful discussions with support at Adobe regardless of being 10 hours ahead of GMT.

I beleive there is software on sourceforge that allows you to shedule an event recording. Very much like time shifting TV programs only your PC connects at the prescribed time and records the event. As I recall the message I got some time ago it was a Linux application but it may also be PC and MAC by now.

The simplest way to aproach the issue of time (and date) differences is to record the event and make it available for viewing over the following few day or weeks... Even permenantly if it is useful. There is a whole industry of "lessons" sold by a plethora of educational institutions that are no more or less a recording made in a classroom.

Doug

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 15, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Ryadia™

One thing about recorded sessions, Adobe does respond to live chats during the presentation.  But that gets to be quite a jumble sometimes too.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 17, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Check this link to get the schedule of the demo in your time zone: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Photoshop+CS6 +Extended+beta+live+demo&iso=20120418T12&p1=283&ah=1

7:00AM !!?   It would need to be _very_ special to get me out of bed that early.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Perfect for me. Lunch hour!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 9:51 AM   in reply to Hudechrome

I see that the second Live Demo essentially repeats the first. Is this what to expect today? If so, I'll skip it or watch later.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 18, 2012 12:39 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I'm sorry to say I had to bail out from an otherwise interesting 3D demo...  The presenter's voice (is that Zorana Gee?) as filtered through the system they're using is just too grating and irritating to listen to.

In this day and age Adobe needs to find a way to do better far audio quality than this.  Even free software (e.g., Skype) does hi fidelity voice 1000% percent better.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I bailed also. What an amateurish (no, I won't insult the amateurs!) unprofessional presentation. The audio was dropping out (in the other presentations as well), her voice quality not withstanding. And moving the chat and other items around the screen, all this is supposed to be done and fixed before presentation commences.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 18, 2012 3:32 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

I'm sorry to say I had to bail out from an otherwise interesting 3D demo...  The presenter's voice (is that Zorana Gee?) as filtered through the system they're using is just too grating and irritating to listen to.

In this day and age Adobe needs to find a way to do better far audio quality than this.  Even free software (e.g., Skype) does hi fidelity voice 1000% percent better.

-Noel

Hah!  I love the Lynda.com video tutorials, but there are several presenters I am just unable to listen to.   Chris 'Yee hah' Orwig is top of that list.   By time he has started his hundredth consecutive sentance with "I'm gonna go right ahead and..."  I feel like screaming!  Deke McCelland does it a wee bit, but is nicely balanced and has great content.

Fortunately, Chris Orwig is not that flash with Photoshop, so it's no worry avoiding his tutorials.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 6:44 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Is there a recording?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 7:47 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

I find Chris Orwig to be a first class teacher. I never miss out on one of his courses. As a photographer, I'm looking forward to his courses on Ps6.

I think that personal attacks, based on subjective arguments, are not the way to go,  and off topic.

Jos

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to howintheworld

I agree that personal attacks on presenters is not productive but before you jump in to support these often enlightening and sometimes boring but always knowledgeable people I'd like to point out how difficult it is for none natives of the presenter's country of origin to understand what is being said.

I've often created tutorials for my clients and been criticised for the broken, monotone voice I used. Think for a moment that females can often type a letter whilst holding a conversation with someone. Its called multi tasking, something males of the species are very poor at doing... Often resulting in broken and hard to follow monologue.

I now employ a female presenter to follow a script I write in advance and rehearse just as if I were making a movie or TV commercial. She sits in the same studio with me watching and speaking according to prompts. Any mistakes or mismatched prompts can be edited post production. The result is bright audio, enlightening tutorials and the take up rate of buyers and students has increased by x40% compared to when my otherwise pleasant voice is used because whilst I can most definately enumerate what I demonstrate, I am unable to demonstrate and speak at the same time whilst doing justice to both tasks.

Far too many presentations are based on economy instead of acceptability. I find almost every Lydia tutorial is at least follow-able but many are not. I've yet to watch an on-line Adobe presentation for the full length of it. Where on-line tutorials are concerned, A good post production voice over recording can improve them out of sight.

Doug

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to Ryadia™

Voice over recording has been SOP in professional recording going back to the 50's. A lot of that has gone by the wayside using the rubric "Fix it in Digital!".

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 20, 2012 7:32 PM   in reply to Ryadia™

doug87510 wrote:

I agree that personal attacks on presenters is not productive

Not sure whether you're implying my comment about the audio is a "personal attack", but it is nothing of the sort!  I'm sorry if anyone misinterpreted it as such.

Zorana did a fine job.  It's the simply AWFUL audio system that's being used in that Adobe Connect system that's the whole problem!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 10:03 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Oh Noel...

Thin skins are for bar room discussions. I meant nothing of the sort. I merely responded to someone who attacked the voice of a presenter. Heck, I paid $3000 for a coach to refine my voice so I could save many times that amount be doing myself what I'd paid someone else to do. It wasn't worth it. I concentrate on the smoothness of a demonstartion and my comentary then becomes paused and often mumbled. Not good enough for my clients so I still employ a Post production 'voice' to make sure my demonstrations are both smooth and professional sounding.

I still say it is unproductive to critisize a presenter. Offering a suggestion (as I did) on how to improve the production then becomes constructive, not critical. As far as I'm concerned, I'm here to learn and get help... Maybe offer help if I can. Whay on earth you'd get the notion I was having a go at you is beyond me. If ever I  do have anything to say to you in that regard, rest assured I'll specifically say it to you and probably off-line because I don't think arguments in forums are productive either. OK?

Doug

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,905 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 21, 2012 12:05 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Not sure whether you're implying my comment about the audio is a "personal attack", but it is nothing of the sort!  I'm sorry if anyone misinterpreted it as such.

-Noel

Noel, I think the comment referred to my criticism of Chris ‘YE HAH! Orwig’, but surely the presentation is a highly important element of video tutorials, just as it is with Photoshop books — that’s why Scott Kelby is so successful.  His books make you smile or laugh out loud on every page, which means you keep on reading and learning. Scott is also a master of bringing together tips and ideas from his ‘Team’ and making them into a highly polished presentation.  Chris Orwig, on the other hand, is the presentation equivalent of fingernails scraped on a blackboard.

I’ve written to Lynda.com with my concerns regarding the extreme overuse of phrases like “I’m gonna go right ahead” in general, and Chris Orwig specifically.  I have also emailed people like Nigel French (Design and Type titles using Photoshop) and Chad Perkins (Premiere Pro) thanking them for their obvious enthusiasm and the quality of their Lynda.com titles.  I got nice replies from both of them, but nothing from Lynda.com.

You might argue that CO is also enthusiastic about Photoshop, but while his mouth speaks the words, his eyes don’t back them up. Compare Chris Orwig to Deke McCelland, and the wonderful Russell Brown.  The latter two are so genuine, and Russell delightfully eccentric. And both DM and RB are light years ahead of CO regards their knowledge of Photoshop.

Of course it is far from easy to present video tutorials, as Doug says above.  I can still remember being forced in front of the camera while doing media studies (almost 40 years ago) and how dry my mouth became while I tripped over my every word while speaking gibberish.  I am currently filming for a promo for an April 2014 event, that has to be shown this time next year, and I absolutely know I shall be bring in talent for the VO.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:26 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

@ Noel: your comment was on subject and to the point.

@Trevor.Dennis: you choose to continue a personal attack, based on very subjective arguments. Why do you choose to do this In a public photoshop forum and why did you choose to hyjack this thread? You made your point, sir, can we leave it at that please and go right ahead ?

Jos Denis

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Well, the 10 AM webinar was cancelled because of technical difficulties.  We were told the webinar would take place tonight at 5 PM, so I've scheduled a timespot to watch it.

Now I've received an e-mail from Adobe telling the 10 AM webinar has been rescheduled to May 7th at 10 AM and I've been registered for it.

All references to ANY webinar has been removed from Facebook.  I'm still assuming tonight's webinar will still take place.

ADOBE - I've tried several ways to find out about tonight's 5 PM webinar with no responses.  My life, what there is of it, does not revolve around your schedule.  Will there be a webinar tonight or won't there?

Gerry

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 6:17 PM   in reply to gswetsky

ADOBE - I've tried several ways to find out about tonight's 5 PM webinar with no responses.  My life, what there is of it, does not revolve around your schedule.  Will there be a webinar tonight or won't there?

Once you have registered for one of the Webinars, Adobe send you an e-mail with a hot-link and instructions.

However, if your internet service is anything like mine, those Adobe e-mails get routed to the Spam/Junk folder so check there for them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points