Skip navigation
punkjl
Currently Being Moderated

LR4 Saving to the metadata

Apr 20, 2012 9:40 PM

I am new to Lightroom. Right now I am using it along side Elements. When I make changes in Elements, it shows up in LR, but it does not do the vice versa. I am saving it to the metadata like it tells me to, but it doesn't show up it elements. All it can do is make a completely new file, which is very inconvieniant and doubles up my files. Any help would be appreciated and sorry if its not very well explained.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 9:58 PM   in reply to punkjl

IF you want to see your changes in other programs, you need to save the meta data updates to the files. Its not hard, and there are 2 ways of doing it.

1. - not recommended as its slow - Go to the catalog settings and enable the Write Data to files

enable_write to file.png
    This will write every meta data change you make to the files, it means you dont have to remember to manually save the changes ( see 2 below ) but the concequence is a drop in the speed of Lightroom.

2. when you have fininshed working on a set of images go to the Library mode, select all the images and press CONTROL S or CMD S. This simply saves all the meta data to the files.

save to files.png

Either way, all the metadata, keywords, copyright information that you've added into the database of Lightroom will be saved in the photos in the same way that Elements saves it.

Enjoy

hamish NIVEN Photography

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to punkjl

punkjl wrote:

Yeah, Ive tried already with both of those methods and still nothing

What sort of changes are you making? edits on the images or just the keywords / metadata etc?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to punkjl

punkjl wrote:

Editing the images.

That is the problem, Lightroom does not edit the photographs, it refers to them, almost like an footnote refers to an appendix or similar.

To see the edits that you've done in Elements / outside of Lightroom, you need to synchronise the folder where the images are - effectively importing the newly edited photos.

• find the folder where the images that you've edited out of LR are
    • and then synchronise the image / images

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39359917/work.png

This should solve the problem

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:12 AM   in reply to punkjl

You are right, I think David misunderstood your question.

To see all the changes you've made in LR you have to export a photo.

That's in the library module.

There you can choose format for every use (e-mail ,web , full size, jpg,tiff,psd etc ) and destination.

Frans

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points