Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do you desktop search, extract, and export your content within InDesign/Quark/Publisher files

Apr 12, 2012 11:53 AM

Tags: #content #search #desktop #export #indesign #to #how #extract #publisher #quark

Hi,

First off, not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but I would assume it would offer some tips and tricks to increasing productivity.

I am a Marketing Coordinator for Markzware. We are trying to get some feedback on a product (PageZephyr) of ours that we released awhile back. The response I receive here will help towards future product development.

Presuming many of you deal with numerous InDesign, Quark, Publisher files.

How do you currently navigate through them? Would it save you time if you were able to access your files without using a native application and that you could read, locate files by keywords, be able to basically copy and paste/edit the text within your files and export them anywhere in .rtf format.

I would appreciate your feedback and discussion.

Thank you.

Message was edited by: BrezJr

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to BrezJr

Wow. The silence is stunning...

I had expected people to say things like they use Bridge  for file browsing/management, but Page Zephyr sounds like it can do a lot more. Personally, I don't have the need to search docs and extract text very often.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:11 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

@Peter ....

Saw the post but never used Page Zephyr , Bridge to very basic.....hence can't comment on this topic.

waiting some PRO to break the silence.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:15 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

I don't think the OP is specifically looking for users of the product, but rather information on whether such a product (which many users probably have never heard of) would actually be useful to them. I sense that sales have been slower than anticipated and this marketing person is trying to figure out why.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to BrezJr

I never even heard of Page Zephyr until just now and I went to their website to find out more.

It appears that it just extracts content (really just text only) from InDesign, QuarkXpress or MS Publisher files and has an interface to upload the text to Google Docs, Scribt, Wordpress, etc.

While they are tageting several different markets, it appears they are more focused on Coporate and Legal markets as a way to plow through mountains of documents for legal discovery, corporate communications, etc. and quickly upload text to the web.

All very well and good, but in the corporate and legal spheres, most of the content inserted in page layout programs has originated from MS Word or other word processing programs.

And Page Zephyr doesn't search Word documents!

I'll bet that in these industries that the vast majority of archived documents are MS Word, etc and not InDesign, Quark, MS Publisher documents.

And these page layout documents probably just duplicate the info that is already available in the Word docs.

The other markets are Graphics professionals and News/Advertising/Publishing and allows for quick searching of specific info in IND, QXP etc docs.

This could be useful at times (I'm sure at times we've all had to open many different documents to search for something) but, and this is only my opinion, I think that the majority of people who come to these forums are more concerned with converting document (Q2ID, etc.) rather that grabbing bits & pieces of content here and there.

While the need to repurpose content will only get bigger in the future; and thanks for trying to create the tools for this. why just stop at page layour documents, why not search all MS Office docs too?

And while you are at it, allow people to harvest more than just text; when repurposing content, photos, graphs, charts, etc. can be equally important.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points