Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS CS6 Won't open large TIFF it just saved

Apr 21, 2012 11:04 AM

I just saved and closed a large TIFF with a couple of layers.  I thought that it was under 2Gb, but the finder says that it is 2.4Gb.  Now when I try to open it, I get an error message saying that the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop.  I get a progress bar that shows it trying to open, then as it gets almost finished, the error dialogue pops up.

Do I have any recourse to recover this file, at this point?  I will certainly switch the format to PSB if I can get it open, but right now that is looking doubtful.

Thanks,

Ron

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to C-Wave

Photoshop will save and open TIFF files up to 4 Gig, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Another application should be able to recover the composite image (since that's always present in TIFF).

But I'm not sure why the layer data would be failing unless you had a disk corruption problem -- and we haven't had other people report this problem, so it is probably a localized incident.

You could try opening it in an older version of Photoshop and see if that works.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 11:31 AM   in reply to C-Wave

Yes, the limit has been 4 Gig since CS2 (when I increased the file size limits beyond 2 Gig).

Could you send email to ccox at adobe dot com?  I'd like to get a copy of the corrupt files and see if there's a pattern to whatever prevents them from reading.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to C-Wave

That just means that the problem is in the layer data.

Again, I really should take a look at some of those corrupt files...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:53 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

i have same problem with .psd file (143 mB )

photoshop cs6 beta

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 12:35 AM   in reply to zaka_

If it's a PSD file, and not a TIFF, then by definition you don't have the same problem.

Please post a new topic, and a location where we can take a look at your file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points