Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Splitting a Stereo File upon Multitrack Insert

Apr 21, 2012 10:18 AM

Is it possible when inserting a stereo file into the multitrack workspace to split the file, placing the left channel on Track One and the right channel on Track Two?

thx.

-paul.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 21, 2012 2:13 PM   in reply to paulfigg

I don't recall offhand whether you can do that directly in Audition CS5.5, but in the version about to be released (CS6) there's a menu option that will split the current stereo file open in Waveform view into two mono ones, and since these are automatically placed in the available files menu, they can be directly dropped into Multitrack view.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 21, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to paulfigg

Being very kind, I put the DAW back on, and yes it's in CS5.5. It's in the Edit menu where it says 'Extract Channels to Mono Files'.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

This is an important inclusion because many location recorders save multitrack audio as single multichannel .wavs. This allows them to be split into individual multitracks in Audition to be worked on.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 21, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

This is an important inclusion because many location recorders save multitrack audio as single multichannel .wavs. This allows them to be split into individual multitracks in Audition to be worked on.

I'm rather spoiled from that point of view. There's a 3rd party app for my Alesis HD24XR/Fireport which lets me save any tracks in whatever format I like, so I can produce multichannel wav files as well as mono and stereo ones, from any combination of tracks I choose. Where I find the mono splitter most useful is with M-S stereo files. I usually put a M-S pair in the middle (forward) section of my Decca Tree, and if I ever need to use it as such, it makes sense to have it in a manipulatable form for plugins to operate on, so I create a stereo file. But more often than not, I don't need to do this, and just want the M part of it as a centre mic for the Tree. So being able to easily whip that out as a mono file, and have it panned dead centre is extremely useful, and I can still retain the original file. Did it this very evening, in fact...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points