Skip navigation
Josh525
Currently Being Moderated

Logo Design - A few unknown steps

Apr 20, 2012 4:54 PM

Hi, I am brand new to Illustrator. I have created the following image and want to apply a few more steps.

I want to do the following:

• Batch process the segments to round off all of their corners evenly
  • Create a gradient that brings colour creaping in from round the edges (the standard radial gradient I have tried seems to not take into consideration the shape/size of each segment & therefore does not create the desired effect)
  • Be able to change the color of each segment whilst keeping the current gradient setting
  • Create a coloring pencil effect in each individual segment

Can anyone offer advise on how I might achieve these steps?

Many thanks in advance for your answers,

Josh

Picture 63.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 5:06 PM   in reply to Josh525

• Effect > Stylize > Round Corners

• Use Gradient Meshes

• Live Color (Edit > Edit Colors > Recolor Artwork)

• Effect > Stylize > Scribble

Way to complicated for a logo in my opinion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 2:30 AM   in reply to Josh525

On Number 3, If you change your gradient to shades of gray you could then add a new Live Fill over the Gradient and set the Blending Mode to Color.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:08 PM   in reply to Josh525

Uhm.. reread my post. The path is right there.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Josh525

I cant see where the edit option is to change the gradient to shades of grey. Can you point me in the right direction?

I just want the segment to change colour but keep its gradient - I though I would just be able to drop another color on it!

Not sure if this is the best way to do it but, select your objects and from the EDIT MENU choose EDIT COLORS/CONVERT TO GRAYSCALE.

This way you keep just the luminance from your gradients.

Then one at a time, select an object and give it a new Live Fill. Use the Appearance Panel for this. There's a Add Fill button at the bottom.

Illustrator will add a new fill ontop of the gradient fill so that you will only be able to see the new fill.

Choose a color for the fill, then, in the Appearance Panel again click on the down arrow on the new Fill layer and then click on Opacity to reveal a drop down menu for blending modes. Choose COLOR.

Your new fill color will now colorize the grayscale gradient below it. (The gradient needs to be black and white because using the Color Blend Mode would produce new colors if you blend a color over a color.

You can now change just the Fills to different colors and your gradients will stay put.

Scott's way would work great too but the Edit Colors dialogue can be pretty confusing. I've been using AI for 4 years now and even I avoid it. It would be good to learn it though.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 3:43 PM   in reply to Josh525

If you use my suggestion I already explained that.

Sound like you're using Scott's suggestion.

If you are:

• Select an object with a gradient fill.

• goto Edit/Edit Colors/Recolor Artwork.

• click on the EDIT tab. It looks like a button to the left of the ASSIGN tab/button.

• Look for the ChainLink icon at the lower right of the color wheel. Make sure it's selected so that it's locked.

• Now play with the Hue slider.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Josh525

Okay, there are a couple ways to tweak the look of the gradient without having to actually touch the stops in it.

Most important would be for you to learn the ways of the Appearance Panel, and of blending modes, but for now:

Right now I'm assuming you have a rectangle with a Gradient Fill applied, and a Color Fill over it with a Color Blend Mode.

Approach 1: Duplicate the Gradient Fill and set the blend mode of the top Gradient to Multiply, or Overlay.

1. Select the rectangle.

2. Select the Gradient Fill in the Appearance Panel.

3. Drag that layer to the New Fill Icon at the bottom of the Panel.

4. You should now have 2 Gradient Fills. One right over the other. And above both of them, the Color Fill with a Color Blend Mode.

5. Take the topmost Gradient Fill, twirl it down to see Opacity, and from there choose Multiply. This will take one gradient and make it blend with the one below to make it appear darker. The color fill is still over both of them and is still doing its coloring job.

You can also try Overlay, this will darken the dark parts of the gradient, and lighten the light parts.

7. Keep in mind, all the while, you can lower the Opacity of the higher gradient to soften the effect.

Approach 2: Move the single Gradient Fill ABOVE the Color Fill

1. Select the rectangle.

2. In the Appearance Panel, select the Gradient Fill and drag it ABOVE the Color Fill.

You should now see only your b/w gradient on the rectangle. The Gradient Fill is now 'covering' the Color Fill.

3. Fix your Color Fill. Set its blend mode to Normal.

4. Back to the Gradient. Now set the Gradient Fill to Muliply or Overlay or whatever. This will now blend the gradient over the Color Fill. (This is probably the best way to do it. It adds luminance values to color, rather than having the color had hue values to luminance. This way makes more sense.)

5. For extra pop, you can duplicate your Gradient Fill again as described in the first approach.

You should def. look into how Live Fills, Live Strokes, the Appearance Panel and Blending modes work out and all this will just come to you naturally.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to Josh525

Well it seems like just a matter of tweaking to me.

You seem to know exactly what you're after and the only way to arrive there is to tweak, tweak, tweak.

But by looking at your sample I think the Color Fill set to Color blend mode on the top would work best.

Also have a duplicate of your Gradient Fill above the original Gradient Fill. Have the top Gradient Fill set to OVERLAY.

Then play with the opacity of the higher Gradient level to affect how strong the final gradient look appears.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to John Stanowski

Just a note... many blend modes have undesired if you are working in CMYK for print (as a logo should be). So using blend modes is often not appriate for print work unless you expand and flatten transparency. Expanding and flattening can often result in raster images to maintain appearance. This presents another issue with print work if you wish to create a scalable vector image.

In reality, you're seeking shortcuts where there really may not be any shortcuts. Often good file construction takes time.

As I posted earlier, using Live Color (Edit > Edit Colors > Recolor Artwork) easily allows you to alter the colors of a gradient and you can maintain values.

Image is an animated gif. Click the image to see the animation.

LiveColor2.gif

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Josh525

Josh,

You may use the free script Round Any Corner, available here:

http://park12.wakwak.com/~shp/lc/et/en_aics_script.html

You may create a circle with the desired rounding, Direct Select the corners to round along with it, and apply the script.

What you see seems to be one of the older bugs. Maybe that effect should be named Round some and sharpen some.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Josh525

Josh,

See the other thread you just started.

Edit: Cross posting.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to Josh525

Due to the forum software the animation won't play unless you specifically click the image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points