Skip navigation
muelgrub
Currently Being Moderated

Best way to redirct library

Apr 21, 2012 11:15 AM

I have my photos on an external HDD that seems to be failing.  My Lighroom library is found on this failing HDD.  I want to move the photos to a new external HDD.  What's the best way to transfer the photos to the new HDD and have Photoshop use that as the new library?

I image this has been asked before and I apologize for asking again, but I can't seem to find best answer.

Thanks fo the patience.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to muelgrub

If Windows, you can transfer all the files using Windows copy and paste to the new HD, keeping the exact same folder structure and folder names and file names. Then disconnect the old one, plug in the new one and make sure the drive letter of the new one is the same as the old one was using (i.e. if the old HD was E:\, then after unplugging the old one and plugging in the new one, make sure the new one is E:\)

If Mac ... someone else will have to provide help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 5:40 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Tell us your OS and post a screen shot of the Library in Lr  showing your disk layout like this ss:

Screen Shot 2012-04-22 at 12.39.13 PM.png

In this one the disk is off-line............

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 1:22 PM   in reply to muelgrub

That should work.

Regarding screenshots, you can use the Snipping Tool which comes with Win7.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:34 PM   in reply to muelgrub

muelgrub wrote:

But how about this:  What's the easiest way to completely delete my Lightroom libray, and just start over and import the same photos but now like it's the first time.  Can that be done?

Starting your catalog over from scratch is a good idea if you don't mind losing all your keywords, all your edits, all your collections, your virtual copies, your slideshows and everything else you have done in LR. It's a good idea if you don't mind doing all the extra work of replacing all the information you lost. So ... what's the easiest way? Just do it!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:33 AM   in reply to muelgrub

Step 1: File->New Catalog

Step 2: Ignore the old catalog.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2012 3:46 PM   in reply to muelgrub

muelgrub wrote:

Thanks, but that either doesn't work or I'm doing it wrong.

Too much detail ... I can't comprehend the entire sequence of steps you have just described!

It does work, it's pretty darn simple, and if you tell us exactly what you did, maybe we can help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to muelgrub

Well, there's your problem. A catalog is not a drive, a catalog is a file (actually a database file), that you have to name, and decide what directory it does in (you can accept the default directory). Once you give the catalog a name and location, you can import files into it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:44 PM   in reply to muelgrub

No need to delete your old catalog, just in order to add some metadata as you would in a fresh import!

You can mass-edit copy rights or any other metadata anytime.

Victoria Bampton describes this very well in her "The missing FAQs LR".

Get her eBook from http://www.lightroomqueen.com/books/adobe-lightroom-4-missing-faq/ (14.95 British Pound well spent).

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points