Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

image dragging

Apr 21, 2012 8:23 PM

For quite a long time now some browsers have had a feature which lets you drag a copy of an image by clicking and dragging it
the copy is transparent and in some browsers it fades out as proximity to the point where the cursor is increases
Opera was the first browser which i know to have done this
and now firefox does it as well

what is the perpose of this?

you cannot drop the dragged images anywhere, so it seams to server no perpose, so why do some browsers do this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 10:06 PM   in reply to iconofsin14

you cannot drop the dragged images anywhere, so it seams to server no perpose, so why do some browsers do this.

Correct, servers no perpose except that when you drag it to another web page in any browser, the image will appear together with the URL to that image. Drag it to a word document and you will get the URL. Guess that a question needs to be posed to the makers of the browsers.

Gramps

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 12:14 AM   in reply to iconofsin14

I second Gramps on that.

The main functionality of this is to drag to copy images to other programs from your browser.

However, if you want to disable it (I wouldn't really bother to!), There's a neat trick in Firefox.

In your address bar, type about:config

This will bring up a list of firefox config settings.

Search for nglayout.enable_drag_images and double click on the parameter you see. This will change the value to false. This will disable your ability to drag images in your browser.

PS: Be sure not to play with other parameters unless you know what you're doing or you'll end up with a broken Firefox!

Cheers,

ST

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points