Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Data merge with double page spreads, how?

Jul 12, 2010 11:44 PM

Gidday,

I am having trouble with data merge and double page spreads. (2 templates).

It's no problem for me creating multiple pages from 1 page, but the right hand pages on my design have a different layout than the left page designs.

I know i can run the data merge to create a multi page document and select facing pages, and applying styles afterwards, but i would like to have the master document already create the double page spreads for me. It's no problem doing it afterwards once, but when my client keeps seeing little text errors and having me change them, i keep doing lots of extra work (wondering what the benefit of a double page merged document is, compared to manual copy paste from a double page spread tempate).

I hope someone can show me the light. I have been searching all over the web to find a solution, and i couldn't find any other than i did before or ending up buying a plugin for the big buck.

Regards,

Marcus

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jul 13, 2010 1:24 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

Hi Marcus

Sorry for being somewhat curt but it's a bit hard to work out what you're trying to do.  Say what it is as clearly as possible and I'm sure someone will be glad to help you or tell you it's not possible.  E.g. I want a few lines data merged on page 1 of a facing page and the same info repeating on all the page 2's. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 4:21 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

I don't do tons of Data Merge projects, but my instinct is that it just isn't sophisticated enough to handle multiple records per page with a mirrored layout like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 6:59 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

let me reiterate the OP to make sure i'm understanding this:

a data merge is being created over two pages with unique data being put into each page, but upon the merge, the data has to read like a book with left and right hand pages. and i'm assuming that in the actual merge file the two pages are not as spreads. the desired result is to have the merge file look like left and right hand pages so that once the file is merged, all the resulting pages are left and right hand pages WITHOUT having to go back into document setup and click "facing pages". is this correct?

if that is the case, when a file is made which will be merged later, go to the pages palette and click on any page and right (or ctrl click) and DESELECT the option "allow document pages to shuffle". then, drag page two to sit beside page one so that they now appear as a spread.

once that is done, make the merge as normal and then merge to a new document and voila, all pages should come out as left/right hand spreads.

was this correct?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 7:27 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

It might work if you make the photo an anchored object with text wrap (put the anchor in a separate paragraph with 0 leading above the head) and then use alignemnts and object positioning relative to spine.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2010 7:37 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

(looks like pete beat me to it... oh well)

ah ok.

this can be done with anchored objects and aligning type to a spine.

start off with by creating a new document which does NOT have facing pages on, although we want it to appear to be a RIGHT HAND page with one text box and one picture frame which will be an anchored object to the text frame. make sure that the type uses the "align away from  spine". put all of the background/master pages in later.

make the merge have multiple records and run about 20 or so records to test. once the new merged file is created, go to document setup and make the document facing pages. the type should now line up like the sample posted previously but it may take a while for the anchored object frames to appear like you have them there, which is why i recommend running about 20 or so records to test, so there is some trial and error.

once the records are as they need to appear, put the backgrounds in by loading them from a master page created elsewhere.

is that more accurate?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 9:26 AM   in reply to marcus_therealthings

I am working on this same problem. My answer is to do layout based on even and odd pages using a for loop. 

for (var i=0;i<= PageLength-1;i++)

{

var isEven = function(someNumber){

return (someNumber%2 == 0) ? true : false;

};

if(isEven(newDoc.pages.item(i).name) == true)

{

//Apply Master B for right page

newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster = app.activeDocument.masterSpreads.item("B-Master");

//Move elements by x, y position, script label ContactEmail

newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("ContactEmail").move([0.7292, 6.011]);

}else{

//Apply Master A for left page

newDoc.pages.item(i).appliedMaster = app.activeDocument.masterSpreads.item("A-Master");

}//for Else

}//For

Now obviously, you need to write your second page right hand layout in the "Apply Master B" page section.

I'm doing this using script labels and move.

newDoc.pages.item(i).pageItems.item("ContactEmail").move([0.7292, 6.011]);

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to caseyctg

That seems like a lot more work thatn necessary. If you run the merge as non-facing first, then change the document setup to Facing pages, you can add a two-page master spread and appy it to the merged pages.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 6:35 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

This thread is pretty much exactly what I want to do. Images stay to the inside (relative to the spine) and text to stay to the outside...

Data Merge 7.png

After following these instructions, "start off with by creating a new document which does NOT have facing pages on, although we want it to appear to be a RIGHT HAND page with one text box and one picture frame which will be an anchored object to the text frame. make sure that the type uses the "align away from  spine". put all of the background/master pages in later.

make the merge have multiple records and run about 20 or so records to test. once the new merged file is created, go to document setup and make the document facing pages. the type should now line up like the sample posted previously but it may take a while for the anchored object frames to appear like you have them there, which is why i recommend running about 20 or so records to test, so there is some trial and error.

once the records are as they need to appear, put the backgrounds in by loading them from a master page created elsewhere."

I'm one step closer to ready. The text adjusts the way it should by aligning away from the spine, however, I was having some trouble as to where the image object should be anchored. The image should always line up with the bottom of the text box, so I aligned it to that text box and it keeps the images aligned well, however, it doesn't adjust back to the "inside" once I change it to a facing page document. There is an option in the anchor options that says "Relative to Spine" but it's greyed out so I don't know if that'll fix my problem or not.

Data Merge 8.png

How should I anchor my object to make sure the images transfer to the inside when I switch to facing pages? If it's the Relative to spine check box - how do I get it un-greyed?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 6:45 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

my problem was a bit more complex, as I have conditional data which I have to load differently, depending on certain parameters or fields. I found floating elements in one text frame and adjusting them just wasn't enough control for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 6:48 AM   in reply to Ali_Rauch

I guess one thing that hasn't been mentioned up to this point, and wasn't obvious, was that the file must be set up as facing pages (you can still have a one-page master in a facing pages document). Once you make that change the relative to spine option should activate.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I was able to get my images anchored correctly. I simply had to create a new anchored object, and the relative to spine un-greyed itself. I was able to do my data merge successfully and images came into the inside now. Thanks alot.

Once I completed my merge, and changed the document to facing pages - see below to see what happens. No matter what I change the margins to be, the images come in, relative to the spine, but they overlap to the inside pages. The text boxes are not adjusting themselves to the "outside" of the page.

Data Merge 8.png

Even after applying my new master, the merged items still remain in this position.

Data Merge 9.png

Is there a setting or something I can do to avoid having to manually move those columns to adjust to the outside of the right pages?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to Ali_Rauch

Also, layout adjustment doesn't work fo rme because it'll make the text adjust to the margins I need for the printer, instead of where the text should be located. I tried it both ways and without layout adjustment, the data stays in a better/closer location than the other way.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 7:20 AM   in reply to Ali_Rauch

For this to work you MUST use a two column layout, and the column guides need to define where the text fames will be (don't worry about the margins, except in terms of them being the outside edges of the two columns. You'll also need to specify the correct spacing during the merge to get the second column sanpeed to the guides. Once you've done that Layout Adjustment should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I changed my document to have two columns. How do I make my text boxes be "defined" by the column guides?

I attempted to do this by making my text box (data merge fields) an anchored object to the column guide, however, when changing to a facing document - it does the same thing. I saw the options of making columns within the text themselves, but since I'm doing a data merge, I dont think that's the correct step. Is there another way I should follow to make my text locked to the column guides?  I haven't had much luck when reading through the forum/help manual for instructions.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 8:45 AM   in reply to Ali_Rauch

Create the text frame that is going to hold your text placeholder and your anchored object marker by draggin it out to snap to the guides for the left column. Position it where it should be, height-wise, and make it the correct height. When you merge, the horizontal spacing will need to be equal to the gutter dimension you used.

Data Merge 2 column.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Thanks Peter. That helped. I was not making my placeholder the full width of the column. What you suggested fixes my problem, yet creates another. Now, my text is hidden behind the anchored object. See highlighted part of picture below.

Data Merge 11.png

For some reason, selecing the "text wrap" button isn't effecting it. I've tried to create the anchored object to not fall "inside" of the text box - see below.

Data Merge 12.png

However, after multiple tests - the files don't merge with the correct spacing unless the anchored object and the text fit inside the one large placeholder box that is the full width of the column. See below.

Data Merge 13.png

Should text wrap be working properly with an anchored object? Is there a different setting to use?

And in case I haven't said it enough. Thank you Thank you Thank you for  your responses - you're SAVING me!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2012 10:30 AM   in reply to Ali_Rauch

Your text frame isn't snapping to both column guides. That's very important.

Text wrap on a custom positioned anchored object only works for lines of text following the position of the anchor. You can put the anchor in a paragraph all by itself above the text placeholder, or perhaps you want to make the gutters wider and position the images in the gutter and in the margin area. I don't get the sense, lookin at the last screen shot above, that the images are in their own, separate, anchored frame, either. They might work as "inline" anchored objects if they are in the same text frame and are the first thing on the first line. Text wrap on inlines affects text from the anchor position onward, including the line they are in.

This is a VERY complex project you've undertaken, and there is a lot of subtlety to the techniques to make it work the way you want.

I'm starting to get jammed up for the afternoon...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points