Skip navigation

FLATTEN IMAGE LOSES CONTRAST

Apr 18, 2012 8:27 AM

Latest reply: oslavens, Apr 27, 2012 9:17 AM
Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to oslavens

To make things more visible to others, when a screenshot is posted, please crop off the extra black area ( from a 2nd monitor?) at the right and elsewhere (in Photoshop if there is no other tool available) before uploading.  It is impossible to see details with the tiny size the important areas of the screenshots turn out to be when uploaded with so much black surrounding it.

To investigate what is happening, make a copy of the first example you posted from where the gentleman’s face shows a significant change upon flattening, crop it down to just the gentleman’s face, save a copy of that copy and then remove the layers one by one, flattening and undoing each time, to see which layer it was that makes the most difference. 

Another idea would be to actually upload your Photoshop file, itself, with the layers still intact and let others try the flatten operation in case it doesn’t happen on other computers.  If you don’t have any online-accessible large-file storage, yourself, then you can use something like www.yousendit.com or www.dropbox.com to create a download link and then post that link in a message, here.  If the man’s-face crop shows the same symptoms, then uploading that smaller copy would be sufficient.

Are these images a mixture of only black and white pixels, as from a FAX machine or printer halftone or simulated engraving?  The reduced size of that sort of image is very sensitive to resizing-artifacts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 21, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to oslavens

To reiterate:  We really, REALLY need to see what you're seeing at 100% original size.

Another question worth asking:  Are you working with Photoshop in full screen mode?

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 22, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to oslavens

I have already mentioned how to do that.  Please see post 9.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to oslavens

If you have uploaded an image to YouSendIt, then provide your own e-mail address as where to send the download link, then when you receive that e-mail, copy-and-paste the link from that e-mail to new message on this forum message-thread the same way you’ve been typing all the other messages.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to oslavens

I have zoned out of this thread for a bit, but have you still not accepted that to assess the influence of Adjustment Layers reliably you need to view at Actual Pixels (even though with many combinations of images, adjustment layers, masks it will not make a significant difference)?

Edit: noiseAdjustmentsActualPixelsScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:41 AM   in reply to oslavens

I've considered re-installing Photoshop

That won’t change perfectly normal and expected behaviour (and that is what I assume this is).

But that's a moot point, just because the loss of contrast is not apparent at 100% does not mean it isn't doesn't exist.

The contrast you see in the smaller magnification is in all propability basically a »display error« due to a noisy image – it is not really there, only what you can see at Actual Pixels magnification is really there.

If you were to downsample the layered file to the pixel dimensions at which you are displaying the image you might approximate the result – albeit at the cost of the resolution naturally.

If you need credentials try this thread, where Mr.Cox talks about the issue:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4184908#4184908

My Photoshop Goddess in NYC is laughing at me because she uses Macs in her studio and she blames it all on my PC.

As far as I can tell so far she is wrong in assuming this is a Mac/PC issue.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 23, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to oslavens

FYI, you formatted the link badly in the above post, but I managed to download your files.  I'm kind of surprised you didn't think to crop the files to just the parts showing the problem in order to reduce their sizes, but it's no matter, I have a fast connection.

It is EXACTLY as Christoph has said above - you're working with images that are substantially black and white (mostly grain/dots, not grayscale), and are expecting Levels operations to affect the downsized previews, which are necessarily resampled, in exactly the same ways they affect the black and white dots.  They don't - it's as simple as that.

Do you really NEED these tremendously grainy images to be that way?  If not, blur them some then you will find the flattened images match the previews much better.

By the way, from everything I have seen, PCs can actually run Photoshop as well or better than Macs.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 8:26 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Which means post 1 had hit the spot …

Another thing, Charles, your Layers/Layer Masks could maybe be more efficiently structured.

It seems you have two Masks that are negatives of each other and both of them on two Layers.

By clipping masking the Adjustment to the Layer and moving that Group up you might be able to save yourself three Masks (though maybe there are reasons for the structure I’m missing).

masks.jpg

This might save very little in disk space but make editing a bit easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:10 PM   in reply to oslavens

Quite frankly I tire of what seems to be your reluctance or inability to accept or understand what has been explained again and again (and again …).

If the issue did not arise with other images then those images were (obviously) different; the one image I downloaded seems to have been shot with very little light wherefore it is extremely grainy.

But as Noel has pointed out you could alleviate that (see screenshot) …

contrastTestScr2.jpg

Also I think you should log in to the Forum and assign Noel’s post 1 the correct answer tag.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:02 AM   in reply to oslavens

Just come to learn the skills, thanks for your post.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)