Skip navigation
dls1956
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 settings are not carried over to Photoshop CS5

Apr 22, 2012 8:38 AM

When opening a raw and unedited file using the 'Edit in Photoshop' menu selection in Lightroom 4 the image opens as expected in Photoshop CS5. The images seem to look identical to me. If I then exit from PS without doing anything to the photo I am prompted to save the file. I do so and return to LR4. Comparing the original raw file and the tif created by PS they appear to be identical.

http://4scotts.smugmug.com/photos/i-VpkGKTd/0/L/i-VpkGKTd-L.png

Next, I make some whitebalance, exposure, and cropping changes to the raw image in LR4. 'Edit in Photoshop' opens the image in PS CS5 but the image appears different. Cropping is there but other adjustements seem to me to be lost. Again clost the image without any editing in PS CS5 and am prompted to save the file. I do so and the saved tif appears in LR4 just as it looked in PS CS5. However they are different.

http://4scotts.smugmug.com/photos/i-24Vn2HR/0/L/i-24Vn2HR-L.png

http://4scotts.smugmug.com/photos/i-nrWXpM6/0/L/i-nrWXpM6-L.png

I'm using a Windows 7 64  bit computer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 9:57 AM   in reply to dls1956

What version of ACR do you have?  Unless it's 6.7 Release Candidate (or the release version when it appears) then it's not compatible, so you should get a warning dialogue offering the choices "Render using Lightroom" or "Open anyway".  You should choose "Render using Lightroom" for compatibility.  That should carry over all edits and work fine, but the disadvantage is that it creates a TIF or PSD (depending on your "External Editing" preferences) before running CS5, rather than only when you save in CS5.

If you don't get the warning, go to "Edit menu", "Preferences" and in general tab hit "Reset all warning dialogs" and try again. 

Lots of previous posts on this if you want more info.

If that's not your problem, ask again with more details.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 10:51 AM   in reply to dls1956

ACR 6.6 is the latest released version for CS5, so it won't offer you any updates yet.  If you do Edit Menu, Preferences, Camera Raw then it will tell you (top bar) what version you have installed.  The latest released version is 6.6; 6.7 is in "Release Candidate" stage, and will probably be released in the next few weeks. 

But LR4 effectively requires Photoshop CS6 (which willl include ACR 7.0) for full compatibility, though 6.7 will apparently be compatible, when it's released.  I understand that until you get 6.7, you should chooce "Render using Lightroom". 

PS - the message you showed says LR needs Camera raw 7.0.  When LR4.1 is released (also soon) it will say you need 6.7 (or more). 

Confusing, isn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 11:16 PM   in reply to dls1956

HI everyone, I am having the same problems.  I was excited to finally find this post after searching and searching for answers.  However, I am running CS4, not CS5.  I tried downloading the 6.7 upgrade, but I dont think it is compatable with CS4, because nothing has changed. 

This is very frustrating b/c it is advertised the LR4 is compatable with CS4 which should mean that there is a way to fix this problem in CS4.

Thoughts??

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to jamielarson

See my post from 22nd April.  You have to choose "Render using Lightroom". 

Edit: just to be clear, Lightroom 4 has built-in the same raw convertor as Photoshop CS6 (i.e. ACR 7).  If Photoshop is to edit a raw file from LR, then either it has to have a compatible version of ACR, or you have to render the raw file in Lightroom (if you don't get given that the option then in Lightroom go to Edit menu, preferences, General tab and click "Reset all warning dialogs"). 

Adobe has a clear policy for support of previous versions of software: no support at all.  As a "consession", they've released ACR 6.7 which gives partial support of LR4 in Photoshop CS5.  They had to do that, as Photoshop CS5 was the current version of Photoshop when LR4 was launched.  But that won't work in CS4. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:06 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

Thank you Simon for the quick response. I was ready to pull my hair out.  I did end up doing the render  using LR, although it seems to take longer and creates a psd which is really annoying.  I just feel like the shift from LR4 is so much clunckier than LR3

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 2:25 PM   in reply to jamielarson

You're right, it takes a bit longer, and as you say, it creates the PSD or TIF before Photoshop is run.  So, if you decide not to save the file in Photoshop (e.g. you use part of the image in another image) then back in LR, there's a PSD or TIF you have to delete.  But at least it works.  You don't have to upgrade CS as well as LR.  I used to upgrade CS every 2 or 3 releases, which of course you can't do any more (you can only upgrate the immediately previous version of CS now).  That means I'll probably not upgrade at all, as I can't afford (or at  least, can't justify) the full price of CS again. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

I am also noticing that when I save changes in PS and rename it, it does not always go back into LR like it used to.  I am wondering though, if I upgrated to the latest elements would I be able to move through LR and PS more flawlessly?

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to jamielarson

CSS Simon,

I wanted to tell you that I have CS4 and I went to upgrade, I got the upgrade price.  I thought that was weird so I looked it up, and Adobe decided to let people upgrade from later versions until Dec. 31 2012.  Here is the link to the article.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-new-upgrade-policy-changes-postpon ed-cs3-cs4.html

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2012 10:42 PM   in reply to jamielarson

After reading all the preceding, because I was also getting duplicate created before going to Photoshop CS5, and it was there even if I didn't save the image in PS (so I had to delete it), I checked my version of ACR and it was 6.6. So I upgraded it to 6.7. However, the same thing is still happening; it made no difference.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:09 AM   in reply to jamielarson

jamielarson wrote:

CSS Simon,

I wanted to tell you that I have CS4 and I went to upgrade, I got the upgrade price.  I thought that was weird so I looked it up, and Adobe decided to let people upgrade from later versions until Dec. 31 2012.  Here is the link to the article.

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-new-upgrade-policy-changes-postpon ed-cs3-cs4.html

When they announced the "upgrade only from the immediately previous version" policy there was such a stink that they made a concession that they wouldn't apply it until December 2012, and in the mean time you can upgrade CS3, 4 and 5 I believe. 

That's a good move by Adobe: you shift bad news into the future, that way people aren't so upset now, and by the time it happens they've all got used to it. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to CSS Simon

Derek, that is very disappointing to hear.  Have other people had this issues where PS makes a duplicate befoe going to LR?

J

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to dls1956

I use LR 4 and CS 5.1.  Just this week when I send an image from LR to PS using "edit in" photoshop, the image opens up in PS as a NEF and any modifications I made in LR are absent.  The image looks like it did unedited.  I had not changed any settings in the Preferences.  Can someone help me out on this one?  ThanksScreen Shot 2012-07-27 at 7.28.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2012-07-27 at 7.25.28 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 27, 2012 7:42 PM   in reply to Shoey Sindel

Shoey Sindel wrote:

Can someone help me out on this one?

The answers are already in this very thread in which you posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 28, 2012 1:41 AM   in reply to dls1956

dls1956 wrote:

When opening a raw and unedited file using the 'Edit in Photoshop' menu selection in Lightroom 4 the image opens as expected in Photoshop CS5. The images seem to look identical to me. If I then exit from PS without doing anything to the photo I am prompted to save the file. I do so and return to LR4. Comparing the original raw file and the tif created by PS they appear to be identical.http://4scotts.smugmug.com/photos/i-VpkGKTd/0/L/i-VpkGKTd-L.png

Next, I make some whitebalance, exposure, and cropping changes to the raw image in LR4. 'Edit in Photoshop' opens the image in PS CS5 but the image appears different. Cropping is there but other adjustements seem to me to be lost.

The most significant point is that the first time you go to Photoshop with an image, you start with one image inside LR and you end up with two - the original image, and a brand new edited version. Generally this is "Edit a copy with Lightroom adjustments"; in other words, something that looks the same as the LR starting image currently does, as a starting point for PS alteration.

Subsequent times you take this edited version of the image back to Photoshop, the Edit In.. feature automatically switches to "Edit Original" as default behaviour. This is so that you don't get a whole family of fresh image versions appearing in LR, and a whole cluster of TIFF files on disk. Just the same image progressively changing over time, as PS work is done.

A PS-edited version seen newly in LR, starts out with zero applied LR adjustments - so it appears at first, exactly as PS has just saved it.

Say (to help clarify this ) you make a virtual copy at this point - and apply some more LR adjustments onto that. You can now see three versions: [1] the starting original which did not go to PS; [2] an untouched version of the PS edit, which has so far been left alone by LR; and [3] another version of the same PS edit, this time with some new LR adjustments overlaid.

If you push the image back to PS for some more editing, save that, and return to LR then both versions [2] and [3] are going to update so as to reflect this later editing. That is because both are deriving their underlying content in a live manner from the same file on disk, which has since changed.

While you are editing any file within PS you are always viewing the actual content of that file. This will naturally look the same as the untouched LR version [2] does. But it will not look the same as the adjusted LR version [3] does - because the live LR settings which cause [3] to look different to [2], are not included in the PS file which they share. They are separate from that - they are being nondestructively applied and displayed on-the-fly by Lightroom only, and in this example, only in the case of one of the two derived versions.

RP

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points