• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why won't my clickbox execute advanced actions more than once?

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2012 Apr 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I could use some help troubleshooting one of my projects. I'm using a couple of clickboxes that execute separate advanced actions -- clicking one plays audio, shows some text, displays an image or two, and then clicking the other shows different text, different images, etc.

It all works magically upon a first run through. Clicking box 1 does what I expect, and clicking box 2 does what I expect. The problem is that clicking again does nothing.

Things I've tried...

- infinite attempts

- everything on the slide stays til end of slide

- used system variable to ensure everything's happening on the same frame

Any thoughts? Any help at all is appreciated.

Thanks,

- Kevin

P.S. - this whole complex setup is just to start/stop some audio using my custom images for start/stop. Anybody have a widget that can do this so I can avoid this mess to begin with? Or, how difficult would it be for me to make this widget myself? Am I overlooking some really simple ways to play audio clips on-demand with Captivate?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Ah, finally got it: discovered that you can't have CBs on top of each other even if you're hiding/showing them at different times. Am I correct in that? So I will have to figure out an alternate way to play/pause. Lilybiri, I'm reading your blog posts on this subject right now. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

I think the main issue here is that you don't understand exactly how Captivate's buttons work.  They will only do what you've specified as their On Success action while ever the play head is still in the active part of their timeline duration.  As soon as the playhead moves past their pause point shown on the timeline, they become inactive.

You can probably fix this quite easily just by using some advanced actions and variable magic to rewind the slide back into the Active portion of the timeline each time one of the buttons is clicked.

Check on Lilybiri's blog for her posts about how to set up micro navigation: http://lilybiri.posterous.com/micro-navigation-in-adobe-captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply! However, I believe clickboxes and buttons work differently, right? That is, I don't see any way -- unlike for buttons -- to adjust inactive vs active on my clickboxes. And, as mentioned, I shouldn't have to rewind at all: the system variable confirmed that I'm on the same frame for all that I'm trying to do, so it's not advancing at all.

Thanks for the blog link, too; I will check it out tomorrow. Let me know if you have further thoughts and I apologize if I misunderstood your post, I just want to ensure we're both talking about clickboxes and not buttons.

- Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Feeling I can pop in, since Rod pointed already to my blog. Click boxes have no way to time the active/inactive portions, the pausing point because they always have their pausing point at the end (couple of frames before) of their timeline. To adjust that pausing point you'll have to move or extend/shrink the click box's timeline. But the behavior is then the same as for buttons: once the user clicks on the CB, the playhead is released and will continue.

How to avoid that? You are talking about advanced actions: are those standard or conditional actions? I'm asking this because:

• for standard actions the normal behavior is that the playhead will not continue, it will stay blocked unless you add the statement Continue
  • for conditional actions the behavior (both for THEN/ELSE) statements is that the playhead will continue, even though you do not add Continue

Bit complex, not? Micro-navigation will help you to rewind the playhead. The most simple statement you can add is :

Assign rdcmndGotoFrame with rdinfoCurrentFrame

This will put the playhead in the same frame as before the click: the frame just before the pausing point, for a click box at the end of its timeline

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lilybiri,

Thank you for your input. However, I cannot re-click even while the clickbox is active -- meaning, rewinding or jumping back to earlier frames still does not execute the advanced action after clicking. These are for standard actions, by the way -- so I tried adding, then removing, 'Continue' but to no avail. So I'm still baffled why an active (not at the end of its timeline), visible CB won't re-execute an AA it already previously executed. Further ideas or thoughts on this?

- Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, finally got it: discovered that you can't have CBs on top of each other even if you're hiding/showing them at different times. Am I correct in that? So I will have to figure out an alternate way to play/pause. Lilybiri, I'm reading your blog posts on this subject right now. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Indeed, I have been explaining that in several threads in this forum, and more specifically in this blog post:

Custom Play/pause button

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources