Skip navigation
AMH22
Currently Being Moderated

File sizes smaller after import

Apr 22, 2012 12:37 PM

Tags: #lightroom #file #size #4 #importation

I am working on bringing files into Lightroom 4, most DNG files from a Canon 5D and DNG and TIFF files from a Nikon scanner.  The problem I'm having is that after importing the files into the Folder in which they will all be for the catalogue, they are significantly smaller.  For instance, a DNG file from a 6x9 film scan is 600MB in the original folder, then is 420MB in the new folder after being renamed and imported into Lightoom.  Similarly, a 20MB DNG file from my Canon 5D is 8MB after importantion.  Also, the backup of the original that is made upon importantion, remains at its larger size on my external drive.  I do not believe that I have anything set in Lightroom to do this, the only setting I've touched in the import process are renaming the file, placing a backup, and adding tags.  I am not doing anything in the development dialogue box.  Is there a reason that these files are so much smaller? I'm worried because 30% decline in the case of scans is a lot of data, as if the 70% decline in my Canon 5D file.  Any ideas?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 1:31 PM   in reply to AMH22

Your 5D doesn't produce DNG files.  You are converting the CR2 files to DNG on import.  There are now many options for doing that, so you should check what options you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:54 PM   in reply to AMH22

In the Import menu you can choose to leave the files in your native camera format. In the top center of the screen are your choices.  I won't convert unless I need the additional disk space or Nikon and Cannon agree to use that format (how about never?)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:25 PM   in reply to AMH22

If you import in the .CR2 format, you don't need ACR for anything; Lightroom will do the import for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to AMH22

No. In the import menu just choose "Copy" on the top line and "Copy to new location and add to catalog" on the line below before you select "Import" and your CR2s will show up where you want them without further processing. You can covert them later to DNG from within LR if you want that format. Remember to also choose the file names,  folder and drive location you want on import as well.

David Gluckman

811 22nd St.

Pt. Townsend, WA 98368

360 379-0360

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers