Each time I try to convert the PSE 9 catalog using PSE10 I get an unspecified error.
I had problems after initially loading the programs and probably didn't choose the correct option to convert the catalog when first prompted. (I loaded Photoshop Elements and Photoshop Premiere 10). I currently have PSE 9.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programs. When I tried to convert the catalog, the program acted it was going to work, but then the conversion stopped part way through and gave me the error.
After a couple of tries more unsuccessful tries at converting the catalog, I logged out of the program. The next time I opened the PSE10 Organizer, it showed a message that said it was updating and seemed to get stuck in a loop. I stopped the program and restarted it with the same result. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the programs again so that I could get past this step.
Before I tried to convert again from PSE 10, I first tried to repair and optimize the catalog from PSE 9. That did not seem to help and I got the same unspecified error part way through the conversion.
Thanks, I will try that, but it will take some time. I closed PSE 10 normally after the last time I tried the conversion. When I tried to start PSE 10 organizer again, it got caught in an update loop and organizer got stuck (not responding). I ended up closing the program. Not sure how to get past that. Do I have to go through an uninstall/reinstall again? Or is there some other way to get organizer to start without getting stuck in the update loop . I found the PSE10DB file, would it help to delete that?
308 GB I checked this as you instructed below
I also checked properties on my hard drive. About 293 GB is used and 330 GB is available.
I really appreciate your help - I am very frustruated with this problem. I use Photoshop quite a bit and I really use the organizer. I need both elements and Premiere to work on two photo/video projects that I need in a month. I am sort of stuck until I can get this situation figured out. Any further suggestions you have are greatly appreciated. I am on the east coast and my available hours don't match up well with the time that the on-line help is available.
Following what I think was your logic, I have an external hard drive with 500GB of free space. I made that my scratch disk and tried the conversion. It failed in the same spot. I would presume that I would not need more scratch disk space than what I am already using in real space on my hard drive.
I did take all the video files out of the catalog. Is there another type of file that it would hang up on?
Nope, the video files are the usually the culprit.
In both Organizers, make sure you've turned off all Media Analysis, Watch Folders and Backup/Sync options.
See if these two Adobe troubleshooting documents will help:
I wanted to thank you for your help and tell you how the problem got resolved.
I sat down last night to implement some of your suggestions below and the Adobe chat window popped up. I decided to give that a try.
My previous attempts at conversion of the catalog from PSE9 to PSE 10 seemed to stop at about 35% complete and then I got an unspecified error message. After a few false starts, t he technician had me find a temporary file that was created in that process. In my case the program added temp 1 to the catalog folder name, so it was in a folder called My catalog 1 temp 1. Surprisingly, choosing that catalog in the catalog manager window resulted in what appeared to be a complete catalog/set of thumbnails in the PSE 10 organizer. The technician then had me restore my PSE9 backup in PSE10 (I did a PSE 9 backup before I installed the 10 software) . The restore took some time so I haven't had the opportunity to put it to the test but everything seems to be there, incuding videos and face recognition and I confirmed that I have access to the organizer from Premiere 10 also. I hope this helps you help someone else.
I hope Adobe developers read these forums and use that information to improve their programs this was an awful experience.