• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DE refuses to transfer my books to my Kobo - can anyone help?

Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have successfully downloaded books into DE, and it recognises my Kobo, showing it as a bookshelf that I can view.

Both DE and my Kobo are authorised with the same Adobe ID.

However, DE always refuses to transfer books onto my Kobo, saying it is not permitted.

I've tried the usual sort of thing: uninstalling & reinstalling DE.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Cheers,

johnb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2012 Apr 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reinstalling the software doesn't change anything, because the message

relates to the digital rights of the ebooks you downloaded. The publisher

or distributor has assigned digital rights that permit you to download the

ebook to your computer, but not to transfer it to another device. They do

this to try to prohibit copyright violations as they see them. You may

disagree, but, short of breaking the law, there's nothing you can do.

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that answer doesn't make sense. I have the same problem. I bought and borrowed several ebooks and I can read them on my computer but not on myKobo Lookbook. There I get only an empty box and the message that "The content you are trying to view is locked. Please use your Adobe ID to authorize your ereader to view content protected with Adobe Mobile Ereader Technology"

I reauthorized my ereader several times and am still getting the message. If the publisher permits "not to transfer it to another device," what is the point of buying an expensive ereader?

Especially since I bought my books from the Kobo site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem can be corrected with a little help from our friends...

The following page, although about registering a Nook, worked for me with my Kobo.

http://help.overdrive.com/article/2012/04/04/0047/What-to-do-if-your-NOOK-is-not-detected-by-Adobe-D...

The steps are:

-Delete the .adobe-digital-editions folder from your Kobo. This can be done using the Windows Explorer when the Kobo is connected via USB.

-Cleanly disconnect the Kobo from the PC and ensure Adobe Digital Editions is shut down on the PC.

-Power down and up the Kobo.

-Reconnect Kobo to PC, THEN start Adobe Digital Editions, and start the ADE authorization process for your Kobo from the beginning.

I had to fiddle a bit in the middle to get both the PC and the Kobo to fully forget each other, but after that it all went cleanly and I can now read the books that I purchased and borrowed with ADE DRM on them.

I hope it helps.

jcb54

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.... Publishers don't think in terms of ereaders, only in terms of

copy protection. I think that's a flaw in their thinking, but that's the

way it is. Not all ematerial is copy-pprotected, and you always have the

option to go back to a publisher that's locked the ebook up and ask for

them to unlock it. I don't know if that works, but you could try.

Another thought: did you go to the ereader's website and register it with

them using your Adobe ID?

==============

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found the following on the Kobo site and downloaded it, and to my surprise, it works. The book showed up on my lap top and also on my Lookbook, under Currently Reading:

http://www.kobobooks.com/desktop

Ironically, after all that trouble, I don't even like the book, at least so far. I'll keep reading, but I may be the only living human who doesn't like The Hunger Games.

Anyway, thank you all for your help, and I will refer back to your suggestions in case the new software causes me problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines