Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 Launch April 23

Apr 20, 2012 1:22 AM

Apparently Adobe is launching CS6 on April 23, shipping date early May. (Did I overlook a related announcement in the forum here?)  See one report here: http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cs6-launch-date-event.html

This means that for those who want to upgrade from an earlier version to CS5.5 now in order to get the CS6 product for free after launch, time is running short.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2012 3:15 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

There's definitely a Creative Cloud based announcement on the 23rd, but nothing has been confirmed regarding details. We may or may not hear a shipping date. Of course, it's better to upgrade earlier rather than later.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 20, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

So get ready for another 1.7Gb download.  I wonder what the upgrade cost is going to be outside of America.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 6:15 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Perhaps I'm missing something and it will suddenly hit me like a bolt of lightning but so far I'm almost completely indifferent to Photoshop CS6. In fact I keep going back to CS5.1. Sure there are a few new features that I really don't need and yet if I don't buy CS6 I won't be eligable for a CS7 upgrade from what I've understood, which just feels all wrong. It's also contrary to what I was reading at the time when I bought CS5.1.

I upgraded from LR3 to LR4 recently because it made sense to me and I could see a genuine improvement in processing quality, however I doubt if this new upgrade policy on Photoshop will generate much enthusiasm among existing customers unless they slash the price like Apple has done for their OS upgrades. Somehow I doubt that is going to happen.

I've spoken to a few other photographers I know recently and two of them said they saw no reason to upgrade from CS3 for their work. The new crop tool is nice and I'm glad they have finally caught up with Lightroom but I can't shake the feeling that various new features look far better in the web demos than they actually work in practice. The content-aware move tool springs to mind as a quick example. Everybody is different and I accept that some will see CS6 as a must have upgrade but it shouldn't feel like a "forced" must have upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Have you heard any chatter about Adobe keeping the same pricing structure now that you have to upgrade each time a new version comes out to qualify for an "upgrade" price?

Logically, since you can not skip 3 versions anymore, the update price should be less.  But logic rarely rules in the business world.

Adobe could really score big if they came out with a new version every 6 months!  Now that is business logic.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

I was under the impression that, due to a campaign by Scott Kelby, Adobe had announced that owners of CS4 (and maybe CS3?) were eligible to purchase CS6 for the upgrade price without purchasing an interim CS5.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:49 AM   in reply to ckc48

You are correct, ckc48. Although pricing has not been announced yet, Adobe has stated that they will be offering users of CS3 and CS4 a chance to upgrade. Please see the link below for more information:

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/faq/upgrade-policy.html?PI D=4165004

|
    Mark as:

That offer is good until the end of this year.  Then it goes go upgrade pricing for only next version.

|
    Mark as:

No you are correct, but going forward we will all have to be on CS6, then CS7 and so forth. There is no option to skip a version and then rejoin with an upgrade price later on.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

This isn't just about money for everybody either because there are clearly people out there who can afford to upgrade with every version and yet many simply don't want or need to upgrade, so even for those people this move manages to provoke a negative reaction. Whichever way I try to look at this it isn't a customer friendly move.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to ashleykaryl

ashleykaryl wrote:

This isn't just about money for everybody either because there are clearly people out there who can afford to upgrade with every version and yet many simply don't want or need to upgrade, so even for those people this move manages to provoke a negative reaction. Whichever way I try to look at this it isn't a customer friendly move.

I agree.  And it is probably harder for business decisions.  They are slow to change as they have to upgrade eveyone to keep them the same.  So therefore they are slow to move to new technology unless they can be convinced it will increase profits.

If they miss one upgrade the price will then become unreasonable and believe they will look for alternatives.  If there is a demand someone eles may develp a product to satisify thier needs.  Will that be Adobe or some other company?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 1:49 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

So get ready for another 1.7Gb download…

Personally, I want the box with a DVD in it.  One thing is to download a beta and another to upgrade to a GM version via download.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 1:51 AM   in reply to ashleykaryl

ashleykaryl wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something and it will suddenly hit me like a bolt of lightning but so far I'm almost completely indifferent to Photoshop CS6…

ACR 7.x is worth the upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:06 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

acresofgreen wrote:

…This means that for those who want to upgrade from an earlier version to CS5.5 now in order to get the CS6 product for free after launch, time is running short.

Indeed:

Ps_CS6_offer.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 22, 2012 5:10 AM   in reply to station_one

station_one wrote:

ashleykaryl wrote:

Perhaps I'm missing something and it will suddenly hit me like a bolt of lightning but so far I'm almost completely indifferent to Photoshop CS6…

Well it might have been if you could not get PV2012 with Lightroom 4 for just US$149

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 22, 2012 5:18 AM   in reply to station_one
    station_one wrote:

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

So get ready for another 1.7Gb download…

Personally, I want the box with a DVD in it.  One thing is to download a beta and another to upgrade to a GM version via download.

Using the DL means you have immediate access (well depending on your connection speed), and you never have to worry about losing your DVD.  It's like Cloud storage, which means we all get the same download from the same place…

So why do people outside of America have to pay nearly TWICE as much?

Seriously.  Will somebody answer this?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 7:31 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Re: So why do people outside of America have to pay nearly TWICE as much?

I doubt there's an easy answer to that question when one has to consider export/import fees, legal restrictions, taxes, currency valuation, et al.

I don't like having to pay what I consider an excessive price for European-sourced software due to currency exchange rates either, but I do it anyway because the software is going to save me a lot of time.

Like Photoshop in America, there is some great software produced by software engineers in other countries. I value their skills and want them to be compensated appropriately. Their software is making my efforts so much easier and allowing me to do better work, quicker.

When people complain about the cost of software in person to me, I usually tell them, "Well, write your own. In about ten years when your version has caught to to current levels, maybe you'll appreciate it more."

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

station_one wrote:

ashleykaryl wrote:

Well it might have been if you could not get PV2012 with Lightroom 4 for just US$149

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html

Yes and if you've already purchased the cheaper upgrade to Lightroom as I have done CS6 becomes even less interesting.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 7:39 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

So why do people outside of America have to pay nearly TWICE as much?

maybe adobe is a racist company, who knows..  : DDD

no explanation/answers exist to serious questions on this site. just like this one with a critical bug for several years now - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4352040#4352040

it's just.. the way it works around here I guess. I'm here for a short time to find it our (till my beta expires)

(...)

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 22, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to PAUZAK

George, myself, and other mystified offshore customers, are using the relevant exchange rates to work out the difference in price between the US and our own particular countries.   I can order other goods from overseas and pay with my NZ Mastercard, and I obviously use my NZ Mastercard while overseas myself.  What I see in my account is the amount with that day’s exchange rate taken into account.  In fact, to order Adobe products online, I have to use the Australian Adobe store, which charges my NZ Mastercard in Oz dollars according to the exchange rate.

It is not rocket science, and it works in an obvious and predictable way.

I wonder how US State tax is worked out for online orders?  If a UK customer took VAT and import duty into account, it still wouldn’t come close to the price they actually pay, and it is same here with our GST.

AFAICT it is pure profiteering from a company that has a market monopoly because nothing else comes close to Photoshop, and it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth.  Especially as no Adobe representative will even try to justify it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:51 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

...Well it might have been if you could not get PV2012 with Lightroom 4 for just US$149

I'd rather chew on ground glass than use Lightroom. 

But LR fans will appreciate your kind thought.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 2:57 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

....Using the DL means you have immediate access (well depending on your connection speed), and you never have to worry about losing your DVD...

Never lost a CD or DVD, but I've seen HDs fail. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:07 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Hi Trevor:

Adobe does charge state sales tax on everything, but that certainly doesn't equal a doubling in price or anywhere close. In my case it is 8.25%.

Have you checked into whether or not there are import/export fees involved? I haven't but my curiosity is aroused now and I, like you and others, want to know more.

BTW, my comment wasn't aimed at you; just want you to know that.   :-)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:30 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor, I Googled the issue and there are quite a few hits on the subject. It is not just a NZ issue, but everywhere overseas.

One interesting article from AU that explains it somewhat is at:

http://tinyurl.com/3dk7qrt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 3:33 PM   in reply to George_Thomas

I am pretty sure there would be no import duties on electronic goods. Just for the sake of comparison the Mac App Store seems to charge much the same price for apps sold in the UK as it does in the US. For example Pixelmator costs £20.99 in the UK or $29.99 in the US. At today's exchange rate £20.99 = $33.84, so it currently appears to be cheaper in the UK.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 22, 2012 4:38 PM   in reply to ashleykaryl

George, thanks for the link. Very interesting, but it does not explain anything  —  just confirms the problem.  I can't even try to get round it by sourcing overseas, because my copy of CS5 was bought from the Oz online store, and I would not qualify for the upgrade discount anywhere else.  So people like myself are completely at the mercy of Adobe's rip-off policy.  When you Google the problem, a lot of people use the situation as an excuse to buy pirated versions. I wonder if Adobe took that into account with the reduction in cost for Lightroom 4 — a lot more people will stay legal at US$149, and Adobe might even come out ahead.

When you add Adobe's new single version upgrade policy to their offshore price hikes, it looks more and more like Adobe's marketing team and Board have a cynical disregard for their customers.  Shame on them!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

"more and more like Adobe's marketing team and Board have a cynical disregard for their customers"'

well I don't know..seems a bit disingenuous to single out Adobe here..what do you think Apple will

charge for Mountain Lion later on this year now that most everyone is immersed in their cloud?

Software monopolies have been around for ages...simply drop their products if they do not

enhance your life or the lives of your loved ones or your customers..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 8:38 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Adobe's senior Management really do need to read some of the comments in photographic and design-oriented websites to see the degree of anger and animosity, towards the Corporation as a whole, which is being expressed about the overseas pricing by their European, Australian and South African customers in particular.

No company can afford to ignore something as potentially damaging as the groundswell of adverse comments (and even direct incitement to boycott Adobe) that I am seeing being expressed on the internet at the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:16 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Just received an email from B&H announcing that Photoshop CS 6 is available for pre-ordering for US $ 700 (well, $699) and it will ship on May 7.

I guess that cares of all the irrationally unrealistic hopes some had for a "price reduction". 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:27 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Australian pricing:

Picture 16.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,907 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 23, 2012 5:23 AM   in reply to station_one

CS6 Price.jpg

This the Austrailian online shop, and the price to upgrade from CS5 Extended to CS6 Extended  Oz$606

That comes to NZ$736 which currently equates to US$591 

The same upgrade for people in America is $399 ...so I am paying half as much again.

Anyone in the UK or other non US country care to look up your pricing?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

here in Lithuania, EU (Baltic States) its 2850Lt (basically 3 medium sallaries) = 1036$

awesome! and they added a new feature - video editing!! wow!!!! and the brush strokes are still ugly as in previous several versions! wooow!

incredible!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

Here is the press release:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201204/042312A dobePhotoshopCS6.html

Pricing and Availability
    Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, Adobe Creative Suite 6 editions and Adobe Creative Cloud are scheduled to be available within 30 days and can be pre-ordered now. Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended will also be available through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales; estimated street price for Photoshop CS6 is US$699 and US$999 for Photoshop CS6 Extended. Upgrade pricing is also available to eligible customers. Subscription pricing for Photoshop CS6 is US$19.99 per month for an annual contract and US$29.99 for a month-to-month contract. For more detailed information about features, OS support, system requirements, upgrade policies and pricing, please visitwww.adobe.com/photoshop.

Adobe Creative Cloud membership for individuals is US$49.99 per month based on annual membership and US$74.99 per month based on month-to-month membership and includes access to Photoshop CS6 Extended. A special introductory offer of US$29.99 per month for CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 individual customers is also available. Learn more atwww.adobe.com/go/creativecloud.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:32 PM   in reply to PAUZAK

UK  Photoshop CS6 costs compared to US costs

Version               Bought In US                                             Bought In UK                             £ difference

FULL                  $ 699.00 (=  £ 443.92) + taxes               £ 660.51  (= $ 1,040.04)            £ 216.59

Upgrade           $  199.00 (= £ 126.38)  + taxes              £ 188.19  (= $    296.32)                £ 61.81

Exchange Rate (at 23 Apr 2012)     $1.5746  =£1.0000

The price differnce speaks for itself !

Photoshop CS6 - FULL Versn

CS6-Full-UK-120423.jpg

Photoshop CS6 - UPGRADE Version

CS6-Upg-UK-120423.jpg

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)