Skip navigation
Nerdio
Currently Being Moderated

How to delete an unwanted catalogue

Apr 23, 2012 12:03 AM

Tags: #catalog #export #4

Hi,

I have slipped up, not badly, but annoyingly with my catalogue for LR4.

This is what I have done....

I installed LR4 Beta, and imported some photos from my LR3 installation. Probably not the wisest approach I now realise.

Now that I have purchased LR4 (upgrade), and installed it including RC4.1 I realise that I have a catalogue that only contains the images I imported with the Beta version. I still have the original images, and sidecar files in my LR3 catalogue. What I want to do is remove the LR4 catalogue that I currenly have, and then export my catalogue from LR3 and import into LR4. I think I am OK with the Export / Import bit (I have Martin Evening's excellent book). What I don't know how to do is remove the catalogue, or contents thereof from LR4. I could of course just remove all the images from the catalogue by deleting them but I want to be careful here, as I got into this situation by doing things the wrong way in the first place.

Can anyone offer any assistance, or advice I would be very grateful?

Thanks in anticipation.

System

Windows 7 64-Bit

LR4.1 and LR3.6

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to Nerdio

You can simply delete the catalog file and the associated preview folder.

To find its location select Help / System Info while having the catalog open. You will see a line similar to this:

Library Path: C:\Users\xxxxx\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom 4 Catalog.lrcat

and this is the name of the the current catalog as well as its location.

More information on file locations:

http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/preference-file-locations-lightroo m-4.html

Forgot:

You don't need to export the catalog from LR3. Simply open it from LR4 and LR4 will convert it to a copy to work with.

Message was edited by: F. McLion

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points