Skip navigation
tralmek
Currently Being Moderated

Upgrading CS5 to CS6 and switching operating systems

Apr 22, 2012 11:20 PM

Tags: #cs5 #mac #windows #upgrade

Currently I own the CS5 Production Premium Student Edition for PC, and I am considering upgrading to CS6 (commercial) when it releases.  I now work predominately on a Mac, and am tired of dual-booting to use my Adobe products, so I'm wondering if there are going to be any issues with upgrading and switching the OS choice from PC to Mac at the same time.  I've seen some older threads regarding these issues individually, but they applied to much earlier CS editions.  Any help, thoughts, or suggestions are very welcome! 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 4:07 AM   in reply to tralmek

No problem , You can place the Order for CS6 on a different platform..

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 4:31 AM   in reply to tralmek

NO. You can't do that with a simple order.

But you can do it. You'll need to contact Adobe directly to do so. Ask about a crossplatform upgrade.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 4:44 AM   in reply to tralmek

Hi Tralmek,

There shouldn't be any problem while upgrading and switching the OS.

If you want to upgrade from CS5 Win to CS5.5 or CS6 MAC, you can do that. Its called Cross Platform Upgrade.

But as Bob mentioned, you need to contact adobe for that. It cannot be done online from adobe website.

For the best assistance, I recommend our chat support at http://adobe.ly/yxj0t6. Our chat representatives can provide a personalized experience to resolve the issue you have described.

Regards

Arpit

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:44 PM   in reply to tralmek

Is Adobe still making people jump through these hoops? I have to confess that I find this completely ridiculous. In terms of licensing, it shouldn't matter to Adobe whether or not you install the software on a Mac or on Windows. Lightroom installs on Mac and Windows with the same license key. There is absolutely no good reason why this shouldn't be true for CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2012 5:06 AM   in reply to mwgrice

For perpetual licensing you get one platform. With Creative Cloud you get the same two install/activation stipulation in the EULA but you can have Mac and Windows.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:28 PM   in reply to tralmek

I'm currently working on Mac but will probably switch to Windows PC in the near future (at least for the Adobe suite).  My experience with Premiere Pro CS5.5 on the Mac hasn't been what I expected. Hopefully

CS6 is  more stable and responsive. With Avid Media Composer (which I also own) you don't have to worry which OS version to buy. They provide you with both, Mac OS and Windows licenses in the same

package. Of course you can only use one at a time, but if you have a Mac and a Window PC computers at the shop you can have them both installed on each computer and then simply activate and deactivate

the software whenever you want it.  I know that now with the Adobe Creative Cloud, switching platforms is easy, but the same flexibility should be included in the boxed version. That is what the competition

(Avid) has been doing for a long time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points