Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Color in Grayscale Mode

Apr 23, 2012 9:45 AM

Tags: #file #cs5 #color #cmyk #rgb #size #mode #mac #layer #grayscale #cs6 #comics #comic

I imagine this isn't possible, but...

I draw comics digitally in photoshop, working in Grayscale mode to reduce file size (I work very high-res).  Is it possible to make photoshop display certain layers in color, without switching to either CMYK or RGB mode? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

No, that's the whole purpose of grayscale (only shades of black).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

Perhaps this is what you are looking for.

When the "Grayscale" and "Black & White" options are used to convert an image, the color information is discarded in the conversion.  Creating a B&W layer above an image preserves the original color information.

Since the original colored image is still unaffected below the B&W layer, parts of the B&W can be erased to reveal the color below. The steps are as follows:

1. Visit the article: Adobe Photoshop CS3: Creating a Black and White Layer to learn how to create a Black and White Layer.
    2. Open the desired image containing the B&W layer to be accented.
    3. In the lower left hand corner, locate the black and white color swatches.  Press X on the keyboard to toggle between the two swatches.
    4. Select the Brush tool.

Note: If the Tools window is not open, click Windows tab on the menu bar and click Tools.

1. Paint the sections of the image where color is desired. Note: While painting with the black swatch selected, color will be revealed.  While painting with the white swatch selected, color will be replaced, once again, with B&W.
    2. When completed, color accenting should make the color objects truly stand out in the picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:43 AM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

How large of a file size are you talking about? I certainly wouldn't let file size be the determining factor versus ease of use.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:47 AM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

Are you talking about being able to color a layer in Photoshop and not the actual pixel content in the layer?

Layer/Layer Properties - choose a color?

Is this what you are talking about?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:15 AM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

I don't know - you have a weird workflow (Photoshop + 900 dpi). If you are drawing comics, why aren't you just using Illustrator and maybe a tablet?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

Dave_Marquez wrote:

...I work at around 900 dpi, with a document around 11"x17"...

Why? Who asked you to do that?

The publishing standard 300 ppi gives a very good detail form a reading viewing distance for published materials. For anything with larger size the resolution (ppi) only goes down - the larger the size and viewing distance the smaller the ppi down to 10 ppi for billboard sizes.

you have images with 9900 X 15300 pixels per side. This can print a billboard with about 20 x 30 meters that will look sharp and clear from the distance needed to see the whole image comfortably.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 2:33 PM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

Dave_Marquez wrote:

Perhaps a better description:  can you color-code layers, without being in a color mode?

Sorry to seem negative, but the answer you seem unwilling to hear is:  No.

So why not just work in RGB, and see whatever colors you want by using things like clipping on adjustment layers to colorize the layer you're working on?

If your computer can't handle the data size you're using in the way you want to work, get a bigger/better computer.  Certainly there are systems that can handle 1 gigabyte files.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I think the first thing needing worked on is the reasoning for 900 dpi

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 4:52 PM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

While other software may allow for the type of color-coding functionality I describe (MangaStudio as one example),

If MangaStudio seems to fit your purpose better, then why don't you go buy it? It certainly appears to be cheaper than Photoshop. Why try and stretch a program beyond its intended purpose when the ultimate solution is much cheaper?

I'd still like to hear your reasoning behind 900 dpi. If you are getting projects that require such LARGE output canvas sizes, then I would imagine you would be using the appropriate software. Since everything stems from "file size", I think you are only shooting yourself in the foot by limiting yourself in the beginning. Whether you know it or not, maybe there is a better workflow than what you are using which would allow you to use color modes, etc... That's why this was asked so many times (about the 900 dpi). The fact you are skirting that answer makes me think there is something you don't want to reveal.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:19 PM   in reply to Dave_Marquez

Well, not certain layers, per se, but you could go to the *Channels* panel menu, and "Add new spot channel". Specific layers could be drawn in only one particular channel. Or two or three, if you wanted to blend colors, say, with a gradient.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points