Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Omega in Special Symbols

Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone worked out a way of having Omega (Ohm symbol) in the Special Symbol drop down list? I have followed previous posts where you have it appear as the letter W and then change the font set to Symbol, but was wondering if anyone knew how to eliminate the changing of the font. I use it a lot and am trying to make it more straightforward.

Thanks in anticipation.

Stu

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using a version of FM that supports Unicode fonts, then omega (Ω) is within any well-constructed, complete Unicode font (it being part of the Greek alphabet).

So... you could copy it from the Character Map (or this post!) and then Paste Special it as "Text".

Or better still, paste it into a Variable, and then you can place it easily with Alt+S, V, Enter or Esc, S, V, Enter (assuming that it was the last variable that you placed); or press Ctrl+0 (zero) and then type the variable name until it appears in the lower left corner of the status bar, then press Enter. Try to choose a variable name that will be unique by its first letter or two, to speed up this process further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David,

Thanks for this answer, this is certainly easier using a variable. The problem with pasting it from the Character map is that straight pasting it means it has an extra space and has to be formatted, while paste special turns it into a question mark. I was still hoping to find a way to use the drop down though. Hard to believe that Adobe thinks this character isn't used enough to warrant its own code.

Thanks again

Stu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stuart, I've not seen what you describe (in FM8, Win7) with either Character Map or Paste Special. But I'll speculate:

* Extra space: If you double-clicked to get the omega in the Characters to copy field, it might be that there was already a space there, which is picked up by the Copy button.

* Question mark: Almost certainly, that means the font in your style isn't a complete Unicode font. Can you find omega in that font in the Character Map? (I just grabbed it from Tahoma, at random, to paste it into the post above and to test in FM.)

Should you continue to experience what you describe, I'd become suspicious of the font, Windows language or code page settings, or something similarly esoteric. It doesn't sound like an FM issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Stu,

Have you tried and search for omega under File-->Utilities-->Character Palette?

Regards,

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines