Skip navigation
nofb1
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader freezes after opening a document

Feb 19, 2012 6:15 AM

It's a recurrent problem with Adobe Reader.

Shortly after opening a document, Reader freezes for several seconds. Who knows why, it probably accesses the network, or tries to do something smart, which results in the user being unable to read the document for a while.

I have tried to disable as many "smart" options as I could, but without success. Could anyone work around this endless Adobe Reader bug?

I must admit I'm tired of this monster of a program, why can't Adobe keep the Reader a light application, instead of throwing all those unnecessary functions, ads and other uglinesses ... ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to nofb1

Adobe Reader does not display any AD of any sort. Are you sure that you are using Adobe Reader and not any other program?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 17, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to nofb1

I have the same problem!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2012 4:58 AM   in reply to Kefayati

Hi Kefayati,

What version of Reader are you using?

Also does the issue exist with some specific PDF's or all PDF's?

Does the problem occur while opening the PDF in browser or Reader itself?

Please try opening the following PDF:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

I have the same problem.  The document if opened locally (i.e. through the adobe application or direct from a pdf file saved on the computer) opens but after a few seconds the screen freezes the stops responding.  I can close adobe down but cannot do anything else.  When opening through the brower (I tried with the file in your message above) the file does not open, also a tab appears in the applications taskbar at the bottom of the screen which has a windows icon but no description.

Any help in resolving this issue appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:09 AM   in reply to MB_UK

Hi MB_UK,

Please update your Reader to latest version, i.e.10.1.3

Also does the problem exist with a specific PDF's or with each PDF. Please try to open the following PDF:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/dam/help/attachments/Acrobat_Reader_Rel easeNote_10.1.3.pdf

What browser and version are you using?

If the problem still exists please uninstall Adobe Reader and install it again from:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:31 PM   in reply to nofb1

I am having the same problem as other have experienced in this forum.  I've uninstalled/reinstalled the latest version - Reader 10.1.3 - several times without the problem getting resolved.  I'm using Windows 7 home on a new desktop computer with McAfee protection.  Every time I attempt to open a .pdf it opens for a few seconds, freezes, and windows closes the program.  I'm getting frustrated because I don't want to pay $39 for personalized support, and so much these days requires use of Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 11:55 AM   in reply to Nikhil.Gupta

It happens for the file you provided too...

Nikhil.Gupta wrote:

Hi Kefayati,

What version of Reader are you using?

Also does the issue exist with some specific PDF's or all PDF's?

Does the problem occur while opening the PDF in browser or Reader itself?

Please try opening the following PDF:

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 25, 2012 7:20 PM   in reply to Kefayati

I have the same program with the latest version of Adobe Acrobat X Pro.  I am guessing Adobe is forcing itself to connect online, meanwhile happily has you wait 5-10 seconds or so, then decides all is well (or not... who knows what it is really doing) only then you can use the document as you intended.  I wish there was a solution to this. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 10:50 PM   in reply to ppedersen_8008

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 1:49 AM   in reply to nofb1

I only experienced this *very frustrating* issue with Adobe Reader XI on Windows 7 (64-bit).

The solution for me was to disable Protected mode at startup:

Edit -> Preferences -> Security (Enhanced)

then remove the tick from "Enable Protected Mode at startup"

I don't know what this feature does, so you had better check with Adobe before disabling it yourselves.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points