Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Display the image size of an open file

Mar 9, 2012 2:39 PM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to Community Help

I can't figure out how to resize my image for a 16x20 image. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to flotida

To change your image size, go to Image > Resize > Image Size

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2012 5:59 PM   in reply to Community Help

I can't figure out how to resize my image to 600 px wide

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2012 4:47 AM   in reply to Art Shotwell

Art Shotwell wrote:

I can't figure out how to resize my image to 600 px wide

In the Image Size window check the Resample and Constrain Proportions boxes.

Enter the 600 pixel width. The Height will change accordingly.

resize.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Mark Sand

I went to resize an image but the size options include cms, inches etc ... but not pixels. How do I resize to pixels, it's the most standard measurement?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to LDHLondon

As can be seen in the screen shot above, you set the pixel dimensions in the "Pixel Dimensions" section at the top. The "Document Size" section doesn't have the same list of options for size. To make changes to the Pixel Dimensions section, you have to make sure the "Resample Image" option at the very bottom is checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 7:24 AM   in reply to Brett N

I'm having the same problem. I have all the boxes checked, pixels does not appear in the size box.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to smallpawsscotland

Pixels are not an option in the Size box. The Document Size section is for how large the image will be when you create a document out of it, that is to say, when you print it. Printers don't use pixels, thus pixels is not going to be an option. If you want to change the number of pixels in your image, you have to use the Pixel Dimensions section at the top, which can only be changed when Resample Image is enabled.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to Brett N

I see that pixels aren't an option. I resize images for Web sites. Knowing their print size is not relevant. Only knowing pixel size is important.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:16 PM   in reply to Art Shotwell

Exactly my point Art. When you look at the Resize dialog box, everything that is listed in the Document Size section has nothing to do with how the image will display on a web page. These settings only determine how the image will print. That is why you have to look at the top section, the Pixel Dimensions:

resize.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to Brett N

ooooh, light dawns! Didn't realise you could change those top figures Duh!

Thanks muchly.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to flotida

HOW to change dpi?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to parile

Assuming you mean ppi, leave resample image turned off, then change the number in the resolution box.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to parile

parile wrote:

HOW to change dpi?

Assuming you mean ppi, don't waste your time. It is a meaningless number. If your image is 3000x2000 pixels at 72 ppi, and you change the ppi to 300, your image remains the same ... not a single pixel is changed.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:22 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I resize a file from 8.78 MB down to 4 MB?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 8:25 AM   in reply to Community Help

How do I resize a photo from 8.78 MB down to 4 MB ?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 9:35 AM   in reply to GPierce on Blackberry

You can't resize in megabytes. You can only resize by changing the number of pixels, and as a result you will have different number of megabytes when the file is saved.

Of course, the idea that you need a particular file size in megabytes never makes sense, so perhaps you could tell us more about what you are doing and why you want this. Thanks.

PS: Yes, you can save (not resize) a file that results in fewer megabytes, but still this is an unusual requirement. Can you tell us more about why you want this?

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 1:37 PM   in reply to dj_paige

I am new to this. I have some pictures I want to enter in a photo contest, and the request is to receive photos no larger than 4 MB. The pictures I took range in mega bites from 7.28 to over 8 MB. What do I do(if anything) in order to get these pictures entered?  HELP!!

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 1:53 PM   in reply to GPierce on Blackberry

See Brett's explanation above, and pay attention to the "Pixel Dimensions" readout at the top of the dialog window as you change the image size.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2012 2:37 PM   in reply to GPierce on Blackberry

GPierce on Blackberry wrote:

I am new to this. I have some pictures I want to enter in a photo contest, and the request is to receive photos no larger than 4 MB. The pictures I took range in mega bites from 7.28 to over 8 MB. What do I do(if anything) in order to get these pictures entered?  HELP!!

No reflection on you GPierce; but whoever decided on this rule sure came up with a stupid, meaningless rule.

The answer was given by Brett earlier in this thread. Reduce the number of pixels until you get something under 4MB.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Community Help

This is a tricky one; the good Mr DJ Paige is certainly right, you need 'Resample Image' checked, but that may not be sufficient (wasn't for me). If, even with Resample Image checked, you can't adjust the pixel sizes i.e. have no boxes in which you can OBVIOUSLY and EASILYchange the pixel dimensions, it may be that you have to delete your preferences file. Do this by holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift down as you restart PSE and agreeing that, yes, you do want to delete the preferences. Voila, pixel adjustment of image size if you have Resample Image checked. Thanks to Barbara B on the Adobe Forum, who fixed this for me. http://forums.adobe.com/message/4194940

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to ultrageoffk

Thanks, but I finally got it. I made adjustments in Photoshop Elements 10.

This is all new to me. Love it!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to Community Help

What pixel size do I enter for an 8X10" photo print, 3750 works for a 20X30" and I tried 3000x1634 which is what it (Elements Defaults to) Whats the magic numbers ?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to RolloH

There are no magic numbers. You can do 3750 for an 8x10 (as either the 8" or the 10" side). Printing takes your pixels, digital information, and turns them into dots, which have a physical dimension. Dot size is variable, as determined by DPI (Dots Per Inch). So if your print setting is 300 dpi (a common setting) that means your dots will be 1/300th of an inch. Which means that 3750 at 300 dpi would make 12.5 inches. To make 10" you'd use 375, for 8" you'd use 468.75 dpi.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 3:35 PM   in reply to Community Help

I have a product image of a ring on a white background. How do I resize the ring so that it is 150x150px? Each time I resize the current version, the resizing also considers the white background.

In paintbrush, I can cut the ring and paste it to upper left corner, then decrease the background manually. Is that what I need to do in PSE and if so how does that work? I've tried and can't seem to adjust background after move the product to the upper left corner.

I'm a web developer trying to learn PSE so be kind.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to Community Help

Do you have Topaz labFX ? if so its really easy, as for the other, Elements, just try un-checking the top box's in restraints and see if that provides you with the result you want. You may have to go back into re-size and use free transform to get the desired image containts that your looking for. Just a shot....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to Brett N

Yes there is and there, 3000 x 2400, with a little adjustment your on the money. Thanks for putting me in the right direction however.....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to bt10988

bt10988, that would take some creative use of tools to be accurate with Photoshop Elements (it would be easier in Photoshop proper) and a little bit of math.

1. Select the Rectangular Marquee tool

2. In the tool options at the top, go to the Mode drop-down and select "Fixed Size"

3. Enter 150 for the Width and the Height

4. Click somewhere in your image near your ring, this will leave a 150x150 pixel square selection.

5. Go to Select > Transform Selection

6. Grow or shrink your selection until it surrounds the ring. DO NOT apply or cancel the transformation (do not click the green checkmark or red no symbol, or press Enter/Return/Esc).

7. Look in the tool options at the top. There will be a transformation amount (a percentage for W (Width) and H (Height)). Note this value. Now you can clear or apply the transformation (Enter/Return or Esc)

8. Go to Image > Resize > Image Size.

9. Under the Pixel Dimensions section, click the drop-down next to Width or Height and choose "Percent" (if you do not see the drop-down, make sure the "Resample Image" option at the very bottom is checked).

10. Might need a calculator here, but divide 100 by the value noted in step 7. For example, if you had to decrease the size of the square in step 6, and the value you get is 35%, divide 100 by 35 (100/35). Move the decimal over two places to the right (turn it into a percentage). Enter this value for either the Width or the Height and click OK.

These steps will resize your entire image so that the ring becomes 150x150 and the background will change proportionality.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2012 5:49 PM   in reply to bt10988

I figured it out. Basically select image, editor, image/resize and change image width to 150px with proportion constrain checked, then image/resize and change canvas to 150 x 150px and the image suddenly becomes 150x150. Then I do a file/save for web and save my smaller sized image as a jpg. Then I close the original file without saving to preserve it for other uses.

It's working for me much better than windows paint now. I really like PSE 10 and will likely buy it at end of the trial period.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2012 12:05 PM   in reply to Community Help

JPEG's need to be 72dpi no larger than 300 kilobytes and measure approximately 7" to 8" across the computer screen. 

I downloaded files from my laptop online.  The image measures 7", but in PSE it's 3.6"?  How come and how can I create a file measuring 7" across when a blank file in PSE is over 600kb?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points