Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Justifying text with line breaks. Oldest bug in Illustrator?

Apr 22, 2012 9:28 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #text #bug #line_breaks #cs5.1 #old #justification #justify

left.png

centre.png

right.png

justified.png

Apparently this bug has been around for ages! What the hell?

http://objectmix.com/adobe-illustrator/774851-justified-text-when-forc ing-linebreak-textabove-break-doesnt-justify.html

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2233023

I'm using Illustrator CS 5.1, but they mention CS2 ! Are you fricken kidding me??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to DSpider

Illie is just doing what she is supposed to do. It is your text that is the problem.

Why have you got all those returns at line ends? They shouldn't be there.

Delete them and things will behave as you expect them to.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 9:57 PM   in reply to DSpider

Yup old bug. I've reported it a few times. AI just will not honor full justification if there's a soft return.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 10:09 PM   in reply to [scott w]

I'm with Scott and the OP can't get anyone on the team to respond to this issue.

I don't know how many times I reported it but ery since I can remeber it has been there except maybe in v.8 but I can be wrong about that as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 10:13 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

steve fairbairn wrote:

Illie is just doing what she is supposed to do. It is your text that is the problem.

Why have you got all those returns at line ends? They shouldn't be there.

Delete them and things will behave as you expect them to.

The Op is trying to set the text to a preferred way the lines should break to the next line. there is no reason that the soft returns line breaks should not be honored.

That ios what line breaks are for to be able to choose the way you want the text to flow.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:25 AM   in reply to DSpider

D, others,

There may be a bug in the CS versions (there seems to be no soft line break up to 10), but it should be possible to get Illy to behave if you set the Word spacing in the Paragraph flyout and the Hyphenation options for the troublesome words.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:02 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

You are correct Jacob soft returns were Introduced in I believe CS 2 and the justification and hyphenation should not be part of the equation if you do not desire hyphenation for instance.

It is an old bug since the inception of the soft return.

Perhaps it is fixed in CS 6 we will find out soon I already have my license on order.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 7:10 AM   in reply to DSpider

But what happens if you just use the Word spacing in the Paragraph flyout, setting it to 75%, 50%, or whatever it takes?

That in itself ought to tame the 4th justified sample in the OP.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 7:21 AM   in reply to Jacob Bugge

It's a problem Jacob There are many instances where adjusting spacing will alter lines which were previously fine. Basically it's a catch 22.... you get bad lines... fix spacing to correct the bad lines... you get other bad lines. What is needed is the ability to add a soft return (a la Indesign) and maintain the justification.

The current workaround is to add a hard return and then adjust any paragraph spacing and/or line spacing for the line above the hard return. It's WAY more trouble than it should be.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to DSpider

I see, Scott and Wade. I may be too inclined to use hyphens to (have come across it often enough to) remember a really bad case.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:07 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

there is no reason that the soft returns line breaks should not be honored.

Soft returns only work when the lines with hyphenated words exceed the available with of the text box.

In the OP's example the boxes are too wide for the hyphenation to function.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:29 PM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

Take two minutes and go to InDesign if you want to understand how Spider wants it to work, Steve.

AI does not do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to DSpider

Not a bug by my definition  but a poor feature or I won't be surprised if it is deliberately limited because they use it in the same way in Photoshop. If you copy text with non-paragraph breaks (soft returns) from Illustrator and paste it in inDesign the hidden characters show that Illustrator uses another kind of character that has nothing to do with soft return.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:39 PM   in reply to emil emil

Trust Scott and me on the emil emil this is an acknowledged bug it is not supposed to work this way

We know this as a fact it is not suuposed to work this way it is supposed to work as the OP expects it to work. It is a short coming of the type engine but also because it is not implemented properly.

Doug Katz pointed out the there was n soft returns in Illustrator and so I made the feature request and when the soft returns where supported he immediately pointout the bug as i recall right heere on the forum and i filed the bug immediately after it was acknowledged after several other users confirmed the bug and it was never corrected.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Note. This is not fixed in CS6.

But several other things are

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

If it is acknowledged by Adobe as a bug, then it is a bug. Did Adobe respond to someone with such confirmation?

What makes me think that it may not be a bug is the fact that Photoshop also has the same bug - in its paragraph panel it has the same text justifying options and lines with soft returns are treated the same. I'm also with the OP on this expecting the normal behavior to be the same as inDesign but I've seen crippled features made by design. I'll be happy to be wrong because if it is officially acknowledged as a bug then there is a chance they may eventually fix it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Kurt Gold

Take two minutes and go to InDesign if you want to understand how Spider wants it to work

I know all about that. InDesign has the infuriating habit of disarranging text that one has maybe spent a long time arranging.

If you insert an optional hyphen at some point, the lines previous to it it may suddenly be completely messed up although there was nothing wrong with them before.

It sometimes takes some considerable effort to hyphenate a paragraph satisfactorily and InDesign's automation of the hyphenation process frequently works against you.

If you take pride in your work a more manual approach is often more satisfactory.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to emil emil

You never seem to read this correctly I clearly wrote that they have acknowledge it do you really think I am making this up?

Trust me I had communications with Adobe about this in what form I cannot tell you but this is a bug. Like it or not and you might think what you wish it will not change anything and unless they have address this issue in CS 6 then it is a bug that is still there.

It's a bug!

There are beta testers that comne this forum regularly if it were not a bug trust me they would have jumped in by now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

OK, my bad then, I missed  to read that or didn't understand it  is officially acknowledged by Adobe. I guess they are using the same code in Photoshop too - may be the same team is writing that part for multiple programs.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:06 AM   in reply to DSpider

InDesign does not use the same Type engine as far as I know and I think that Photoshop and ID type engines are more related toeach other than Illustrator's type engine.

Which is one of the problems.

But I am pretty certain, though only guessing, that this will all come togehter in CS 7. And perhaps this bug might be fixed in a point release.

It would make illustrator so much more apealing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:08 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

I know at AI10 the type engine was taken from Indesign. I don't know how similar they are anymore.

One thing that has been fixed on the Mac is the ability to use the arrow keys to walk through the font list. Finally Mac users can use that feature in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to [scott w]

As I recall it, AI didn't get the ID text engine code, what it got was most of the features of the ID engine coded into the AI engine, the main feature being every-line composition.

Yours

Vern

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:41 PM   in reply to DSpider

They wrrote it but that does not mean the implemented it coreectly.

Does not matter this is a bug in AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 1:49 PM   in reply to DSpider

Same methods doesn't mean the same code. More than one way to skin a cat.

Yours

Vern

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to DSpider

This problem doesn't exist in ID, so yes different code. Even aside from this problem, identical text doesn't justify the same in AI vs ID. Might not be noticable in a single paragraph, but set a couple of thousand words in both programs and compare and you'll find plenty of different line breaks.

Yours

Vern

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points