Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 2:52 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie Foxhoven wrote:

Here is the press release:

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201204/042312A dobePhotoshopCS6.html

Pricing and Availability
    Adobe Photoshop CS6, Adobe Photoshop CS6 Extended, Adobe Creative Suite 6 editions and Adobe Creative Cloud are scheduled to be available within 30 days and can be pre-ordered now. Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS6 Extended will also be available through Adobe Authorized Resellers, the Adobe Store and Adobe Direct Sales; estimated street price for Photoshop CS6 is US$699 and US$999 for Photoshop CS6 Extended. Upgrade pricing is also available to eligible customers. Subscription pricing for Photoshop CS6 is US$19.99 per month for an annual contract and US$29.99 for a month-to-month contract. For more detailed information about features, OS support, system requirements, upgrade policies and pricing, please visitwww.adobe.com/photoshop.

Adobe Creative Cloud membership for individuals is US$49.99 per month based on annual membership and US$74.99 per month based on month-to-month membership and includes access to Photoshop CS6 Extended. A special introductory offer of US$29.99 per month for CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS5.5 individual customers is also available. Learn more atwww.adobe.com/go/creativecloud.

Pattie, it is very brave of you to get involved in this discussion.  I suspect your colleagues are keeping their heads down behind the parapet, and have their flack-jackets well buckled up.  But since you are here, and as well as being an Adobe employee, you are no mean user of Photoshop yourself, and therefore one of us, could you make enquiries as to why customers outside America have to pay so much more for Adobe products?

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 23, 2012 3:12 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

This is a the link George posted back up the thread.  I have just written to Ed Husic (the Australian MP in the article) and made him aware of the various costs of CS6 in different parts of the world, so let’s hope he makes some waves in the Oz parliament.   I’ll try and find a champion in New Zealand, so if you have a tech savvy MP or consumer watchdog in your country, flick out a few emails.

I love Photoshop, and am grateful to their employees who help us out on these forums, but their offshore marketing strategy  sucks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis

There should be no tax on any country where the people are called Kiwi's and have such a beautiful landscape.

Seriously, there are most likely good reasons for the higher prices of Adobe products outside the USA. Maybe they see a lot e-corruption and they are covering losses, could be different level goods and services have corresponding tariffs, maybe our government found a way to finally put some tooth in our trade policy. The USA has the most leinient import duties and programs for imported goods of all the big countries. That is why we have lost such a large percentage of manufacturing to offshore sources

So in a nutshell, and from my own personal, professional experience with having products built overseas, Adobe probably has good reasons for their pricing structure and since we, as a country, have such a liberal import policy, maybe this is fair.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 3:37 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Hi Trevor-

Not really getting involved here, just posting a link to be helpful.  Pricing is not my department. I'd rather help with technical issues.

Pattie

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 23, 2012 6:47 PM   in reply to Pattie F

Pattie Foxhoven wrote:

Hi Trevor-

Not really getting involved here, just posting a link to be helpful.  Pricing is not my department. I'd rather help with technical issues.

Pattie

Pattie I never expected you to actually get involved, and it was unfair of me to ask.  It is just that the offshore pricing makes a lot of people angry with Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,858 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 23, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Francis, if you Google the offshore pricing situation, you'll find a lot of people who actually justify using the torrent sites because of the huge discrepancies.   I can’t see that changing because the ne'er-do-wells seem able crack any anti-piracy strategy in mere days.  I bet there are groups all over the world competing to be first! 

I chose to stay legal, and I do enough commercial work to easily pay for my software upgrades, but I don’t need an income so I only take on work that interests me.  I know a young website/graphic designer come photographer, who I am quite sure paid for none of the Adobe apps he uses.  He hands digital image files to his clients probably blissfully unaware that those files have information about the particular software he used, embedded in the image files.

This is a view from Opanda EXIF viewer (which is free)

EXIF.jpg

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points