Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Manual Lens Correction in Lightroom 4

Mar 26, 2012 8:24 AM

Tags: #lightroom #settings #bug #4 #upgrade #manual #stretch #lens #corrections #distort #keystoning

The Manual Lens Correction sliders in Lightroom 4 seem completely useless. They aren't working the same as they do in Lightroom 3. Instead of being able to fix keystoning of images, now the horizontal and vertical sliders just stretch or distort photos. Is this a bug? If not, is it possible to go back to the functionality from LR3? If this isn't possible, I'm probably going to switch back to Lightroom 3, since this is one of the program's most useful features.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 26, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Bruceeeeeeee

I don't think that functionality has changed at all.

Are you, perhaps, using a system that isn't properly reporting focal length?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

I believe I'm right in saying that once you've upgraded to POV12, you can't go back.
    I too am seriously disappointed witht he entire performance of LR4, but after converting half of my catalog I can't now go back to LR 3.

Pretty poor situation to be in right now tbh

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 9:18 AM   in reply to howmanypigginnamesdoitry

Once you have upgraded to POV12 ... your LR3 catalog is completely unchanged and untouched. Of course you can go back to using LR3, and your photos will look exactly as they did the last time you launched LR3 (but you can't keep your LR4 adjustments).

But I agree with Lee Jay, the lens correction slider functionality hasn't changed, as far as I know, and I see no difference in my own use of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 26, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Bruceeeeeeee

I was misinformed then. IN that case I am extremely happy, I'm going back to LR 3.6 tonight. Happy days!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 3:45 PM   in reply to Bruceeeeeeee

I have to agree with the original post.  LR4 broke the vertical and horizontal perspective control in lens correction.

The horizontal and vertical sliders just stretch or distort photos. The image gets stretched beyond the boundaries of the viewing area.

For example, if you want to correct for vertical perspective, moving the vertical slider should cause top or the image to get wider than the bottom of the image (or the other way around depending on the direction you move the slider).  But now, when moving the vertical slider, the image gets taller and starts cropping at the top and bottom. Totally useless.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:52 PM   in reply to david4976

david4976 wrote:

I have to agree with the original post.  LR4 broke the vertical and horizontal perspective control in lens correction.

The horizontal and vertical sliders just stretch or distort photos. The image gets stretched beyond the boundaries of the viewing area.

For example, if you want to correct for vertical perspective, moving the vertical slider should cause top or the image to get wider than the bottom of the image (or the other way around depending on the direction you move the slider).  But now, when moving the vertical slider, the image gets taller and starts cropping at the top and bottom. Totally useless.

Same question the OP failed to answer - are you using a lens system that doesn't report focal length?  This functionality hasn't changed at all for me - it works exactly as before.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:02 AM   in reply to Lee Jay

Lee Jay wrote:

... This functionality hasn't changed at all for me - it works exactly as before.

I think so, too.

See my example in the feedback forum demonstrating the different effect of the manual transformation sliders depending on the angle of view: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/i_would_love_aut omation_in_the_lens_correction_manual_panel : There is an automatic aspect ratio correction, and for photos taken with a rather small angle of view, this is mostly a stretch/distort. Which is totally correct IMHO (and hasn't changed since LR3).

P.S. I don't know which angle of view LR assumes for photos w/o information about focal length and sensor size (probably 50mm focal length and 35 mm film format ("full format") sensor.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:28 PM   in reply to Lee Jay

I am using a lens system that reports focal length and sensor size. I get identical results for my Canon 5D (full frame) with L series lenses and my GH2 ("half" frame) with Panasonic lenses.

Now, maybe my memory is faulty and this has always been a problem in LR! Either way, it's useless for perspective correction. Looking at LRuser42's link, he is right that LR needs a keystone correction feature. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points