Skip navigation
snp1111
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Reader X - Typewriter

Apr 23, 2012 6:22 PM

I have Adobe Reader X on my computer. Before today, I was able to use a typewriter tool to add text to pdfs. The tool icon looked like a notepad with pen. For some reason this tool does not appear on my Adober Reader today and I do not know why. Many forums have stated this is because of the security functions of the document. However, the documents I am trying to edit are ones that I have edited before. In fact, I am still able to edit text that I added before today, but I am not able to add any additional text to these documents. Does anyone have a solution on how to enable that same tool that I had previously? This is really frustrating and costing me a lot of time. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 1:07 AM   in reply to snp1111

Which tool are you talking about? Typewriter tool doesnt look like a notepad with pen. Can you post a screenshot?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:03 AM   in reply to snp1111

I'm having the same issue where the "Add Text or Signature" button was on the toolbar in 10.1.2 but now is gone in 10.1.3.

Reader10.1.3.JPG

And when I right click on the toolbar and go to File, the button isn't listed there either.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to dconcharter

dconcharter:

In your case, it appears that all acrobat.com servcies have been tuned out which is why you do not see Tools and Sign panes. Refer to http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/disable-acrobat-services-acrobat-rea der.html. How have you installed Reader? Has your IT department rolled out the latest version 10.1.3? They might have blocked all acrobat.com services using the customization wizard.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to snp1111

Which tool are you using from the Comment pane?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 5:43 AM   in reply to snp1111

You're correct, we disable the Acrobat.com features using the Customization Wizard. But we've always had the "Add Text or Signature" button on the toolbar and the Sign pane next to Comment, up until the 10.1.3 patch being applied.

Here is 10.1.2 before applying the 10.1.3 patch.

Reader10.1.2.JPG

This is the toolbar after applying the 10.1.3 patch.

Reader10.1.3.JPG

The Acrobat.com features have always been disabled in the pacakge we deploy to our users. I work in the IT dept. that does the software deployments, we modify the installs using the customization wizard then roll it out using Microsoft SCCM.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points