Skip navigation
Alan B Baker
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 10 Operating Problems

Apr 23, 2012 4:13 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10

I have just installed Photoshop Elements 10 & Premiere Elements 10 on my computer running Windows XP Pro - SP3, with 4 GB of memory.

I am using a MS Optical Mouse which is working fine. I have the latest graphics driver installed as well as Microsoft DirectX - V9.0c.

Photoshop Elements 10 seems to be working ok. However, Premiere Elements 10 has exhibited a number of problems. The most serious is the jerky and sometimes uncontrollable mouse movements which makes the program extremely difficult to use. The mouse inevitably locks up which requires that I reboot the system.

Other than with PE10, the mouse works fine, even with PE V4 which is co-resident on the machine.

Other symptoms (compared to the operation of PE – V4) are:

● When using the “Play” Option in the Monitor Section, the Current Time Indicator moves unevenly instead of smoothly, and

● Titles on title screens and titles under photographs appear very blurry during playback in the Monitor Section.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I just want the program to work as well as PE-V4.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Alan B Baker

Much depends on what kind of video you're editing and how your project is set up.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which project settings did you select? If you selected the ideal project settings, you will NOT see red lines above the clips when you add them to your timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Version 10 is actually much more powerful than version 4. However, until you set up your projects for certain video formats, some components and codecs are not installed. Once they are installed, version 10 should run at least as well as version 4 when editing the same format of video.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:38 AM   in reply to Alan B Baker

Where are you getting the black video?

Have you ensured your photo is no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size?

What happens after you render the timeline? (Press Enter -- the red lines above the clips turn green.)

And please do check the Project Properties, under the Edit menu, and report them here.

The more details you can offer, the more likely we can help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Alan B Baker

Once you've rendered your timeline and the lines above the clips turn green, are your playback issues resolved?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to Alan B Baker

I would look over this ARTICLE, which starts as a checklist to get Premiere Elements working best, then moves onto tuning up your system and your OS, and then offers many links for troubleshooting crashes and hangs.

For mouse response issues, the first two things that come to my mind are the mouse driver utilized, and then resource issues with the OS and system.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points