Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Selected DPS content blocked in mainland China?

Apr 23, 2012 6:10 PM

This is in relation to our question yesterday re: Is DPS content being blocked in mainland China? (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4354992#4354992)

Our app was made available in App Store recently. It was a multi-issue mag app created using DPS Pro. It works fine except when colleagues in mainland China alerted us that they can install the app but CANNOT DOWNLOAD the magazine issue. A salesperson there who initally could not open the magazine with the local 3G connection but managed when he used VPN.

In the discussion, Bob replied that while the app can be downloaded anywhere, the mainland China government restricts users from downloading eternal content such as folios at this time.

However, just learned from mainland China colleagues that they are able to download the Martha Stewart Living and Wired apps and their issues, which we believe were created using Adobe DPS.

Does anybody know if mainland China has some sort of a "wait list" before releasing an app content in its country/territory?

Is Adobe workng on systems to allow distribution into mainland China?

An immediate response is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 7:05 PM   in reply to iceman07_jr

Are they using 3g or wi fi?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:11 PM   in reply to iceman07_jr

Adobe does not have a license to distribute content to mainland China. We are working on resolving this through several possible methods. Until we can legally distribute content into mainland China apps can be downloaded from the app stores but content delivery will not work. If it's working for MS LIving and Wired, it will soon be turned off.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 8:27 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

Is there any chance that the license will be achieved soon?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 24, 2012 10:10 AM   in reply to Isabell Gemmer

Some DPS customers with a registered GAP license can legally distribute content into mainland China. Please see your reseller or sales rep for a list of the requirements.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to John J Metzger

I've only become aware today that I can't publish apps in China without a GAPP licence. I've also discovered that getting a GAPP licence can be a very slow process (6-8 months). I spoke to an Adobe rep through Gold support and she said that DPS users that publish to China are usually the likes of Conde Naste etc - i.e. - big, global players. Would any of the Adobe guys here agree with that?

And from what you know, is the Chinese iTunes store a totally different climate to a western app store - i.e. - it's not just DPS apps that are affected, but all manner of other apps don;t get approved for publication in China?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points