Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Noob Alert: How Do I Draw A Symmetric Arc/Curve?

Apr 23, 2012 9:18 PM

Maybe this is a total noob question, but how does one draw really nice McDonalds arches? I always struggle with simple stuff like this that I -know- y'all ninjas can do it in like 3 moves. So... what's the trick?

I was told about XPath... and the demo looks -great- but with everything in Illustrator, it -can't- require a $150 plug just to do something like this, right?

TIA,

---JC

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 9:28 PM   in reply to Suntower

Easiest way that I can think of, especially for beginner's is draw out a circle, split the sides and delete 1/2 of the circle. If you want 2 arches, copy/paste the 1/2 of the circle and move it into place and merge the two points.

It can take a bit of practice to do the same with the pen tool, and draw the arches, but it can be done. Just try, try, try...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:04 PM   in reply to Suntower

there are many ways of doing it, for beginner's it may be easy to start with straight lines, then convert corner anchors to smooth.

grab the Pen Tool (P) and click-release 5 times as shown

macD1.PNG

then grab the Convert Anchor Point Tool (Shift+C), and click and drag Anchor Point 2 (top of first arch) to the right until curve looks right

macD2.PNG

then grab the Direct Selection Tool (A), and click-drag the left handle to the left until the curve looks just right

macD3.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:48 AM   in reply to Suntower

Also you may want to look into

Effect > Distort & Transform > Transform

illustratorTransformScr.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:26 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

As c.pfaffenbichler is also pointing out he is usin a single stroke and using the width tool to adjust the thinkness of the stroke rather than trying to create a closed path.

Screen Shot 2012-04-24 at 9.24.02 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Suntower

Just draw one half of the arch and use the Reflect tool (letter o shortcut) to duplicate it on the vertical axis.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points