Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Any Audio Effects Plugins for CS5.5

Apr 23, 2012 12:40 PM

Looking at VST plugins, need audio effects for cartoon characters, anyone know of any compatible plugins?

Will the plugin have to be 64-bit for AE?  Will Premier Pro accept a 32-bit plugin?

Any ideas or workarounds?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 12:50 PM   in reply to dan_f

When it comes to audio, AE is a real lightweight.  I have never, ever heard of audio plugins for AE, which is first and foremost a VIDEO application; typically, audio is used just for reference to help timing. 

Could you explain your workflow and why you feel such plugins are necessary for your AE work?  We might be able to offer viable alternatives.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 2:18 PM   in reply to dan_f

Here's a thought:  if you have Production Premium, you have Audition, and a quick inquiry on Adobe's Audition forum would reveal if it supports VST plugins.  I recommend a visit to it, and I have a feeling using Audition would be faster than the Pro Tools route.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:04 PM   in reply to dan_f

Audition/ Soundbooth do support Dynamic link, meaning you can import AE compositions without rendering them. How practical that is, is anotehr question...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to Mylenium

As the others suggest, you should be doing nothing with audio in After Effects. That's what Audition and Premiere Pro are for. After Effects is terrible at audio. As a motion graphics and compositing application, it supports audio only so that you can use it as a reference for your visuals.

See this:

"After Effects integration with Audition"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:04 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Todd_Kopriva wrote:

As a motion graphics and compositing application, it supports audio only so that you can use it as a reference for your visuals.

Well, sir, both you and I said that, but to be totally fair I need to talk up one AE audio effect I REALLY like: Reverb. 

I find it highly intuitive, and getting just the sound I want is fast and easy.  I prefer using it over all the other audio-only applications where I've tried the reverb.

It's a little cumbersome to go into & out of AE just for that one audio trick, so you need to make sure you get it right the first time.

And to think it's been in AE almost since the beginning, too....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 5:21 PM   in reply to dan_f

And my own little defence of AE audio:  Stereo Mixer.  I have an ongoing job that I've done for some years, which generates about 50 different graphics pieces per week, 20 weeks of the year. It's primarily a graphics job, but I need to provide the final output with voice over in the left channel and music in the right.  Stereo Mixer allows me to do this simple task within AE, removing the need to double handle all those files.  Very simple, but a huge timesaver for me.

But I echo the ststements of everyone here:  generally speaking, any audio processing that's even slightly complex or specific should be done in a more appropriate tool.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points