Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe CS6 is out! new DPS features?

Apr 23, 2012 2:52 PM

Adobe CS6 is out! Will that bring new features to DPS or viceversa?

Thank you,

al3nai

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to al3nai_

I am so excited CS6 is finally out

There's one big feature that should interest DPS folks: alternate layouts. In InDesign CS6 you can now have one InDesign file that contains layouts for multiple orientations and/or devices.

Here's one easy example of where that's helpful: no more "_H" and "_V" files littering your machine. Just one InDesign document that has both H and V inside. Here's another example: one file that has your iPad and your Kindle Fire layouts in it.

The best part about this is the text is linked between the layouts, so if you have to make a text change somewhere you can do it once, the links panel will indicate the other layouts are out-of-date, and you can update the link to make the change ripple across the other layouts in the file. Typo correction is now far less painful.

You can also use the new page rules feature to define ways for InDesign to automatically create layouts for you. For example, you can start with an iPad layout, apply some page rules, and generate the Kindle Fire layout.

One small feature to look forward to: you can directly paste HTML snippets into your file and automatically get a web overlay with that HTML.

Note that to actually produce folios using the above you'll need the next release of DPS. The current release (v19) does not support CS6.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:04 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Thanks for the rundown, Neil. I haven't had time to check out all that's new with CS6 yet, but the list you provided has me very excited.

-Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

@Neil – I understand all your excitement.

To make that alternate layout feature perfect one should be able to alter the baseline grid on a per page basis.
    Is that possible now?

Or defining  margins and gutters on a per percent basis relative to the width and/or height of the page.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I cannot see that there are changes in that field:

http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/features._sl_id-contentfilter_s l_featuredisplaytypes_sl_new.html

Maybe I should rethink all that and undertake a paradigm shift, never using the "global" baseline grid and instead working with text frame baseline grids? Will they be taken into account with "alternate" or "liquid" layouts?

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 11:48 PM   in reply to Laubender

Uwe,

I understand your problem.

Using text frame baseline grids are a good idea.

They can kept in sync / inherited with object styles.

—Johannes

(mobil gesendet)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:11 AM   in reply to Johannes Eckert

@Johannes – a wide field for scripting …

Especially if you have to turn a print based layout that never was intended for tablet usage into a full-fledged app.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:46 AM   in reply to al3nai_

will the introduction of liquid layout reduce overall folio size?

I've found that exporting a Vertical seperately to a Horizontal decreases the folio size dramatically, yet they are not linked so it's a moot point

but presumably with the addition of liquid layout, as both orientations will be in the source doc, the output will be smaller?

Tim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:50 AM   in reply to tim.hughes

currently, the output stays the same, even when everything is in one

indesign document.

—Johannes

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 4:30 AM   in reply to al3nai_

I very excited too.

I would like to read more about the new Folio Builder Panel with CS6 that brings new features like liquid and static layouts.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to Felipe - dualpixel

The liquid and alternate layouts have nothing to do with the folio builder panel.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:22 AM   in reply to al3nai_

For that you have to wait a few weeks for v.20 of DPS.

Uwe

|
    Mark as:
  • Mark0
    31 posts
    Feb 14, 2012
    Apr 24, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to al3nai_

Is there anywhere to look up what's to come in future DPS updates? Like what features/fixes are coming up in v20? I'd be more excited about fixes to current problems than the addition of new buggy features.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 24, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to Mark0

We don't post the proposed features for upcoming releases on any site. When the new release comes out, new features are posted here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-2 1ba9a4512e5e5e0b8d-8000.html

Bug fixes are posted here:

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/release-note/dps-bug-f ix-release-notes.html

History of new features are posted here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-6 abcbe621311f4e52df-8000.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob It would be sooooooo useful if these links were posted as a permanent announcement on this forum otherwise they soon drift off the top and are nowhere to be found!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to Graham Davis

The links are always available on our Developer Center page, which is a great resource. http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishingsuite.html. Look in the What's New list.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 1:04 PM   in reply to Neil Enns - Adobe

Great Neil but why not flag that page up (permanently) on this forum?

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,644 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Apr 24, 2012 1:36 PM   in reply to Graham Davis

Graham - I created a new post and marked it as a featured discussion. Thanks for the suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:04 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Thanks Bob.

Regarding what Neil said, any limitations using Cloud-based Single Edition with CS6's and the upcoming version of the Builder panel / DPS? I seem to recall reading somewhere here that Renditions (for example) were only available to Pro users. Am I mixing that up with something else?

Basically, Renditions are different versions (orientation or resolution or both) of a single folio file, right? IOW same content, different way to view it? Hoping all of the tools CS6 and DPS offer (via cloud) put no content restrictions on Single Edition users for customizing iPad content.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 6:11 AM   in reply to VanGrenade

Renditions are targeted at devices so you'd have renditions for iPad 1/2, iPad3, XOOM, etc.

The renditions are downloaded by the viewer and that's the reason why single edtion doesn't support them. Single edition is a self contained app, no downloads, no in app purchases.

That's why they can only be used by Pro and Enterprise level customers.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:09 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Hi Bob

How would my client get a DPS SE self contained app without going through the app store? I have no experience with the DPS SE.

Is it kind of like sideloading? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Good point Bob, I am sure that confuses a lot of people

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to ncone1

ncone1,

Yes, you would build the app and distribute it either via sideloading, testflight, or your own mobile device management system. You would need to build it with an enterprise certificate if you didn't want to record devices UDIDs and bake them into the app (how they're allowed to install the app if you don't build with an enterprise cert.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 8:48 AM   in reply to Casey Jensen

Thanks Casey,

Is there any pdf's with this process laid out? Or could you explain the  process/user experience of getting apps on ipads without the enterprise certificate.

|
    Mark as:
  • Casey Jensen
    293 posts
    May 4, 2011
    Apr 25, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to ncone1

Without an enterprise cert, it's a painful process, initially. You will need to collect the UDIDs for every device the app is going to be loaded onto. (And you're limited to 100/year)

How you load the app is up to you (I would probably recommend testflight if you don't have anything in place.)

As far as building the single-issue app building process and certificate creation, this is outlined in the Publishing Companion Guide. You can download this by logging in with an account to http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com and clicking on the link at the bottom-right of the dashboard.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:05 AM   in reply to ncone1

There's no way short of enterpise level accounts to do that.

Bob

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points