Skip navigation
Shashikalsha
Currently Being Moderated

FLV embedded in a SWF file, does not play in HTML file.

Apr 24, 2012 7:40 AM

Hi,

I embedded a FLV file into flash movie clip, which on publish plays well on SWF file, but when the same is embedded in HTML, it does not play.

What is it i'm missing ..

Kindly help.

Regards

Shashi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Shashikalsha

When you say you embedded the FLV, how did you do it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:02 AM   in reply to Shashikalsha

If everything is self contained inside one single .swf file... no external video files, there should not be any difference between playing directly in Flash player or playing on an HTML Web page.

The same cannot be said if the .swf uses any external files or other Flash assets.

My first guess (since you didn't post a link to the actual page) is that some file is missing or a path to some Flash content is wrong on the Web page.

Post a link to the actual online page and we will take a look.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

I have the same problem. I think its something to do with the base URL, I have been reading blogs and doing tutorials for hours. none work

SWF plays external video file, as soon as I embed SWF in HTML, it no longer playes the external video file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to thundern8

First, clarify this... are you embedding the .flv into the time line, as in:

The .FLV file is imported on the  timeline of a movie clip.

I embedded the .flv file,

If you are in fact embedding the video, then there is no external video file... it's embedded into the timeline.

If you are using the FLVPlayback component and an external vid file to display the video and the .swf when testing plays the video just fine but not on the HTML Web page:

SWF plays external video file, as soon as I embed SWF in HTML, it no longer playes the external video file.

then it's most likely a pathing problem.

If you are placing the .swf on a Web page and the .swf and/or the .flv file are not both in the same folder as the Web page.... then the .swf should NOT work when you test it directly! That's because it should be pathed to play from the Web page and not the location of the .swf.

For your review:

Almost always when it works on the local machine and not the server, it's a pathing problem.
    You can put your Flash related files in whatever folders you want, they do NOT have to be in the root, they do NOT all have to be in the same folder. But if you have a problem and if sticking them all in the root folder works, then you know that the issue was a pathing problem.
    Just remember that paths used in the .swf become relative to the Web page on which the .swf is placed, NOT it’s physical location.  So for example, if your .swf is in the flash/data folder and you use that .swf on a Web page in the root folder, you are in effect, removing that .swf from flash/data and putting it in root. So if the .swf is loading any related files (xml, images, video, etc), the path used inside the .swf to load the .xml file has to be relative to it's new location in root and then back down into flash/data. This is true even though when testing the .swf by itself, it can be inside flash/data and work just fine, since relative to it's location, the path is just fine, they are in the same folder. But if that same path is used when the .swf is placed on a page two folder levels up, the relative path has changed, the old "same folder" path will not work.

In fact if you are placing the .swf on a web page in a different folder than the .swf is stored in, and that .swf calls external assets, then direct clicking and opening of the .swf in it’s folder should NOT work! That’s because the paths to the external assets should be relative to the Web page and not the physical location of the .swf.
    So just be sure that you use addresses relative to the final Web page locations (not physical file locations) and you can put the Flash related files in what ever folders you want.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Best of luck,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 8:24 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

Thanks for the reply.

So  if I understand correctly.

The swf file, html, file and video file are in the root.

I use the videoplayback component and browse to the video

I publish an html and swf.

The html wont play, but if I upload it, it will?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to thundern8

If all Flash related files are in the same folder as the Web page, then testing the .swf by itself should play the video.

If, on the other hand, the .swf and/or the .flv file are in some folder other than the folder that the Web page is in, then testing the .swf file directly should not play the video... since the .swf is pathed to work on the Web page (which is in a different folder) and not from the physical location of the .swf.

If you correctly understand and implement this principle and the video still does not play, then you have some other issue.... which is best diagnosed by posting a link to the actual Web page.

Pathing is not the only possible issue... just the most likely one.

Best wishes,

Lynn

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to adninjastrator

Hi there.

This is a link to the site.

http://n8digital.co.za/hazard2/

the swf loads, but the videos don’t ?

maybe I should mock up a light weight file and send that?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2012 8:32 AM   in reply to thundern8

I've review the site at the link above and it looks like the video does load... eventually... after a very long time!

My first impression was that the video must be an mp4 file with a MOOV ATOM problem.

So I waited till the video downloaded completely and sure enough... it's an mp4 file.

They symptoms suggest the MOOV ATOM issue.

More on that here:

http://renaun.com/blog/code/qtindexswapper/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c8oqNX4b3k

You can also use Quicktime Pro to reset the index file to the front. Open the video in QT Pro and do a "Save As", renaming the file.

With the long wait at the beginning just to get the preloader finished, people won't want to wait another minute or two for the video to download. Resetting the MOOV ATOM will allow the video file to progressive download.

Now I didn't interact with the video so I don't know if you expect the viewer to skip around in the video file... or does it just play from beginning to end?

If the viewer can skip around in the video file... skip ahead so to speak, then you'll need to download the entire video first, since the viewer cannot skip ahead to a section that has not yet been downloaded.

To really advise further, you'll need to describe in detail the purpose of the Web page.

Best of luck on your project,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points