Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Does anything work on Lightroom 4?!

Apr 24, 2012 6:32 AM

As the title says! There seems to be masses of problems with it. I've just received my copy of Lightroom 4 upgrade disk and, after looking at this forum, I'm really unsure about actually loading it in to my iMac. I'm happy with Lightroom 3 and don't want to get into problems as I'm not savvy on such matters. Will my existing Lightroom 3 catalogue complete with edits, keywords, etc remain intact and accessible to me in 2010 format when running Lightroom 4? I don't want to have to re-edit thousands of images to look ok in 2012. What do I have to look out for when installing it? Will I be asked anything that make it important that I make the right response for my needs? Do I need to create a new catalogue just for the images that will be imported into Lightroom 4?

Incidentally my iMac meets the system requirements for the software.

I'll be grateful for any help and advice that you knowledgeable people out there can give. Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 6:36 AM   in reply to Altea FR

Download 4.1 Release Candidate

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to Altea FR

When you install it, LR4 will make a copy of your LR3 catalog and convert that copy to LR4 format.

The images that are already imported into LR3 and converted to LR4 will remain Process Version 2010 (the LR3 adjustments) unless you change the PV, yourself, but new images you import into LR4 will start out at PV2012.

I’d say try it and see if it works ok for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to Altea FR

I wouldn't even bother to installing from the disk first.  Just install the 4.1  RC and run it until 4.1 final is released.  Install it from a download.  It will run as a trial version, and all you have to do is indicate that you have a serial number.  You will then be able to enter that serial number and everything will be normal.  I have never installed from the DVD.  The only thing I have needed out of the box is that serial number.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Altea FR

I claim no expertise, but I think great care should be taken when simply recommending someone start using 4.1RC, it may need some serious qualifying especially if they are on LR3.

You may inadvertently do them more harm than good.

For example they may be an existing LR3 & Flickr user and 4.1RC might cause great difficulty for them ...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4331870#4331870

Altea ... I appreciate you have already been looking around at the problems, but if you use Flickr I would investigate the possible 4.1RC problems before using it.
    It may be worth checking out some other problematic areas there may be migrating from LR3 - curves anyone?

Anyone who wholesale recommends diving into to LR4.1RC from LR3 should at least mention some of the known biggies some of which may be difficult to repair.

Perhaps someone younger and wiser than me could write a top 5 known shortlist.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:01 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

But installing Lightroom 4.1 RC doesn't replace Lightroom 3, and doesn't render Lightroom 3 useless.  You still have both versions that you can work with.  It's not a choice of either/or.  You can keep Lightroom 3 on the computer for as long as you think it is necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:11 AM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

But installing Lightroom 4.1 RC doesn't replace Lightroom 3, and doesn't render Lightroom 3 useless.  You still have both versions that you can work with.  It's not a choice of either/or.  You can keep Lightroom 3 on the computer for as long as you think it is necessary.

Jim

I'm sure you know more about it than me ... but is there not a danger that some migration errors (for example the problem with curves) may go unnoticed in a moderate size catalogue for quite some time. In this situation the user could feel confident enough to move on and drop LR3 or do real work in LR4RC - I know users should not use an RC for "real" work ... but I suspect many amateurs might,

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

AlanUniqueName wrote:

Jim

I'm sure you know more about it than me ... but is there not a danger that some migration errors (for example the problem with curves) may go unnoticed in a moderate size catalogue for quite some time. In this situation the user could feel confident enough to move on and drop LR3 or do real work in LR4RC - I know users should not use an RC for "real" work ... but I suspect many amateurs might,

I thought LR 4.1RC fixed the problem with curves.

Regarding users feeling confident enought to drop LR3, Jim did say "You can keep Lightroom 3 on the computer for as long as you think it is necessary." And even if you uninstall LR3, you could always re-install it if you needed to.

I just don't see your concern here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Altea FR

Alan, are you saying that I should keep clear of 4.1 RC now that I've installed LR 4?

Can't speak for Alan, but I think it is almost a no-brainer to install LR4.1RC in your situation. I see no downside at all to doing so.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to Altea FR

Altea - No I'm not saying "Keep clear" ... you must use your own judgement.

But be aware that if you publish to Flickr there are potential problems you should be aware of.

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

AlanUniqueName wrote:

Jim

Alan.

Well, that shows exactly what I am, a complete amateur because I am doing "real" work in Lightroom 4.1 RC.  Everyone does things differently, and if you want to be afraid of the release candidate that is your choice.  My Lightroom 3 catalog was converted, but I haven't switched very many of my old images to the new process.  If there is a problem with the curves, I haven't seen it.  In Lightroom 4 I'm running two catalogs (I know, not a best practice according to many), one for my digital images from my cameras and another for the images I'm scanning.  I'm not going to get into a debate about separate catalogs because I like the way I'm doing things and nobody is going to change me.  I'm having no problems with Lightroom 4 in my workflow.  Basically, I am using it on new images leaving everything I did previously alone.  If I decide there are images in the old version that I want to work on I have been copying those images to a new folder and starting over with them.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:38 AM   in reply to JimHess

I am also doing real work in LR4.1 RC, despite the advice to not do real work in a release candidate.

Furthermore, people did real work in LR4.0, which was production level software, not a release candidate, and (so I have read) lost work in the book module.

As Jim said, if you want to be afraid, that's your choice. Many people are not having problems, and I am not aware of reports of people actually losing work in LR4.1 RC (although there are other bugs).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:39 AM   in reply to Altea FR

Your LR3 catalog is unchanged and unaltered when you upgrade to LR4. You can always go back to LR3.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to dj_paige

For completeness and as stated in another thread ,,,

I do not claim expertise and am happy to be corrected... but I'm not sure that your "you can always go back to LR3" view necessarily holds.

It is my understanding that for some Flickr users the change in the Flickr publish service in 4.1RC to cope with the upcomming change in the Flickr Security model has caused problems for some.

It is acknoledged as a bug and the workround is to create a new publish service. There is some concern that this has the capacity to mess up the photos that have already been published and for some it has.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4331870#4331870

If true, this is not simply a backtrack on your upgrade situation.

I don't think I would feel comfortable simply telling people to upgrade without pointing out some of the biggies, and the experts in here know far better than me what some of the big ones are - at least point them out or suggest features not to use when sugesting with such confidence they they upgrade.      As for using an RC for "real work" ... personal choice.

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:03 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

Your entire message is "be scared, be very scared". (But other than one example, you aren't going to tell us what we should be scared of ... you leave that to someone else)

Your example: a change made to Flickr, and how Lightroom interfaces with it.

Of course you can go back to your LR3 catalog. It will open in LR3 and work properly. The interface with Flickr might be a problem but everything else works as it did before in LR3. And there is an obvious work-around, export the photo from LR3 and then upload to Flickr using Flickr tools. So of course, users should "be scared, be very scared".

We don't have the obligation to report every single glitch, or even the "top 5", that might arise every time we make a recommendation. Perhaps in your world, when you give advice, you will do so. Although I note you haven't done so, you have not provided information on every single problem that might arise, you haven't provided information on the "top 5", you have brought up one minor issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to dj_paige

Let's just do a cool risk assessment:

Google for the top x bugs which still exist in LR4.1RC or are newly introduced into it.

Then Altea FR needs to decide how many may possibly affect her/him.

• Obviously as no Flickr user this bug cannot hurt, so we can discount that from the list.
    • The tone curve problem: should be solved with 4.1RC - but it had bitten only people who used it in point curve mode - parametric curve edits have never been affected.
      I can vouchsafe that the pre-released script did solve it - I have not upgraded to LR4.1RC yet, because my bugs in 4.0 have been adressed, so I feel no need to hurry.
    • Not sure if the book bug is still present in 4.1RC: it bites if you copy text from one book into another: you'll loose all layout.
      So don't create books yet, or none with much text or just finish one before you start another.

And look from the other side: what would be the worst thing that must not happen to you, but still has some likelihood? What mitigation routes could you possibly think of (or ask here in the forum)?  Loosing LR3-PV2010-develop results has been answered already, tick for "safe".

Another approach: do a cautious test: export your most critical images from your LR3-catalog as a trial catalog. Include any images you suspect they might be affected.

Then let LR4.1RC just convert this trial catalog and see how it arrives.

If everything is spick & span, you could convert your entire LR3-catalog.*

Or: start using LR4.1RC for new images, and leave the LR3-catalog out of it for a while (e.g. until 4.1 final is released). Then you need to live with 2 catalogs.

If on a Mac you could even have both LR-versions open at the same time. If on Windows you need to close one first and then open the other, so the usual situation for having 2 catalogs.

(* Do not switch process version - other than for individual images where you had been dissatisfied with your LR3-achievements, in a 1 by 1 basis expecting full re-edit.)

I wish you good success, Altea FR.

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points