Skip navigation
alexpio
Currently Being Moderated

What setting is stopping me from entering text on a layer?

Apr 22, 2012 5:33 PM

I've been adding text to layers for a few months with no problem.  Now every time I use the text tool all I get is a 'dot' with a line that extends as I type.  It does create a layer and the layer is named by whatever I typed but there isn't anything there.  I've tried the 'find' and it didn't find anything.  I've gotten the outline to show, but it's empty.  I also found a similar question and the response was that the font size might be too small to see.  I have a 25 inch background and set the font to 72 but still nothing.   Since I haven't had this problem until now it seems like something is just set wrong -- but what?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 22, 2012 6:02 PM   in reply to alexpio

I'd try resetting the Type Tool by right clicking on the big T and choosing Reset Tool.

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to alexpio

Make sure the type is not the same color as the background.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2012 7:33 PM   in reply to alexpio

Also, make sure the resolution of your image isn't ridiculously low.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:10 AM   in reply to alexpio

Good advice already, but maybe posting a screenshot with the relevant Panels and the Options Bar visible might help?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to alexpio

What resolution?

Is the foreground color black?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to alexpio

To post a screenshot:  Make a screen save (if Win7 use Sniping tool in Accessory) then save to a location.

Then when posting click the camera icon and browse to you file location.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to Curt Y

A 25 INCH background using 72 (px I'm assuming) font?

Your solution has already been suggested above (by several people). This HAS to do with your document dimensions.

Start a new document FILE/NEW

Just use the presets drop down menu - choose WEB, choose any size in the next drop down menu, your resolution probably reads "72" - I've adjusted mine to read "100" so I have the proper relative screen zoom (for my particular screen resolution). Click OK. Select TYPE tool, use 72 for the size. Now, if you are still having issues with not seeing the text, then a screen shot is definitely needed.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:49 PM   in reply to alexpio

Forgive me for asking such a stupid question, but is there any chance your font is the same color as the background?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 5:31 PM   in reply to Gary Politzer

> Forgive me for asking such a stupid question, but is there any chance your font is the same color as the background?

Nobody ever reads response no. 2 [Old forum joke].

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:00 AM   in reply to alexpio

A re-install rarely solves the problem.

I suggest you restet the preferenes to factory defalults.  Start Photosop then IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + shift keys.  You should get a reset window.

It is a little tricky so if you get the splash screen you are too late in pressing the keys.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Don't re-install Photoshop until you have exhausted ALL other troubleshooting. You may just be wasting a good hour of install time.

http://www.shan-dysigns.com/userForums/photoshop/font.psd

Download this .psd and see if you can add text to it. There is a layer with paragraph text. Double-click the TEXT (T) icon on the layer panel and see if you can add/edit/replace the text.

A screen shot is SO easy and can maybe help. While in Photoshop, make sure your character panel is visible. Just click the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. Come back to reply, paste the image here by clicking "Ctrl + V". If that doesn't do it, try again. If that doesn't work, look online for alternate directions.

This has to be a simple problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Semaphoric

Semaphoric wrote:

Nobody ever reads response no. 2 [Old forum joke].

Or response no. 9 apparently.  The OP still hasn't confirmed that he is not typing with the same color as the layer below.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:07 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

It can be very frustrating when one takes the time to try and help someone, then for that person (the OP) to not really wait and try ALL the suggestions from others. Another thing to make sure is you are NOT in Quick Mask mode. Look at your CHANNELS panel and make sure you ONLY have 4 layers. Some times the Quick Mask mode can "stick" between documents.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 9:07 AM   in reply to alexpio

So... what did you do that solved it?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 9:40 AM   in reply to Shan-Dysigns

It was the air conditioner that did it.  They tend to get mischievous and chew on things when you leave them alone too long.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 10:06 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

It was the air conditioner that did it.

I would have voted for the fact he went on vacation and the weather.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to alexpio

Not only that, but reinstalling doesn't actually reset Photoshop to the factory defaults.  If you'd gone through that you'd have found all your defaults intact.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 7:40 PM   in reply to alexpio

I would go ahead and learn how to make a screen shot. Those really do come in handy when asking for help.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points