Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

LR4.1 release date?

Apr 23, 2012 11:03 PM

Am desperately waiting for the LR4.1 update. Can anybody tell me when this is likely to happen? I am having huge problems with slowness issues in LR4 which is why I have downgraded back to LR3.6 for now. Anybody?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 2:43 AM   in reply to NBoucry

Nobody who knows is going to say anything here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:02 AM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

when it´s done... © john carmack 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 3:04 AM   in reply to NBoucry

Download the 4.1 release candidate.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:56 AM   in reply to NBoucry

Have you updated the driver for your graphics card? That one thing helped my speed on LR4 greatly. I am also in the process of putting in a larger/faster graphics card to help more.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to photo printer

Updating a driver for your graphics card may help speed.

Larger/faster graphics card will not help with LR, as it does not use the graphics card. (Of course, you may have other programs that can make use of an enhanced graphics card ... )

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:04 AM   in reply to john beardsworth

johnbeardy wrote:

Download the 4.1 release candidate.

Sorry John, ... but I'll repeat what I said in another thread ...

I claim no expertise, but I think great care should be taken when simply recommending someone start using 4.1RC, it may need some serious qualifying especially if they are on LR3.

You may inadvertently do them more harm than good.

Anyone who wholesale recommends diving into to LR4.1RC from LR3 or LR4 should at least mention some of the known biggies some of which may be difficult to repair.

Perhaps someone younger and wiser than me could write a top 5 known shortlist.

Just my view

Alan.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:21 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

I claim no expertise, but I think great care should be taken when simply recommending someone start using 4.1RC, it may need some serious qualifying especially if they are on LR3.

Anyone who wholesale recommends diving into to LR4.1RC from LR3 or LR4 should at least mention some of the known biggies some of which may be difficult to repair.

Just my view

Too bad you don't give specifics. Too bad you state "I claim no expertise" and then go ahead and try to argue for a certain position, it's not a particularly good way to get your message across.

While there are bugs in LR4, there are fewer bugs in LR4.1RC as far as I can tell from my own experience and from reading. And many people find both LR4 and LR4.1RC usable and a huge improvement over LR3 in some areas. There are two sides to this, Alan, and I would recommend anyone go right ahead and give LR4 and LR4.1RC a try if you want to. But the bottom line is that you aren't going to hurt anything by upgrading your catalog to LR4 and using LR4 or LR4.1RC, you can certainly go back to LR3 at any time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to dj_paige

dj_paige wrote:

Just my view

Too bad you don't give specifics. Too bad you state "I claim no expertise" and then go ahead and try to argue for a certain position, it's not a particularly good way to get your message across.

While there are bugs in LR4, there are fewer bugs in LR4.1RC as far as I can tell from my own experience and from reading. And many people find both LR4 and LR4.1RC usable and a huge improvement over LR3 in some areas. There are two sides to this, Alan, and I would recommend anyone go right ahead and give LR4 and LR4.1RC a try if you want to. But the bottom line is that you aren't going to hurt anything by upgrading your catalog to LR4 and using LR4 or LR4.1RC, you can certainly go back to LR3 at any time.

"Too bad you don't give specifics. Too bad you state "I claim no expertise" and then go ahead and try to argue for a certain position" - agreed, but the note was for John regarding another thread where I do give an example.

I do not claim expertise and am happy to be corrected... but I'm not sure that your "you can always go back to LR3" view necessarily holds.

It is my understanding that for some Flickr users the change in the Flickr publish service in 4.1RC to cope with the upcomming change in the Flickr Security model has caused problems for some.

It is acknoledged as a bug and the workround is to create a new publish service.   There is some concern that this has the capacity to mess up the photos that have already been published and for some it has.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4331870#4331870

If true, this is not simply a backtrack on your upgrade situation.

I don't think I would feel comfortable simply telling people to upgrade without pointing out some of the biggies, and the experts in here know far better than me what some of the big ones are,

Alan

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

There is another, very simple workaround.  Don't use that feature in Lightroom until the final is released.  Export copies, close Lightroom, go to Flickr and upload.  I never said that the release candidate has no problems.  It does, I have reported one.  But as far as basic work is concerned, everything seems to be fine.  The Flickr problem isn't a big one for me.  I would much rather have the new process than worry about whether or not I could post to Flickr.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:03 AM   in reply to JimHess

JimHess wrote:

There is another, very simple workaround.  Don't use that feature in Lightroom until the final is released.  Export copies, close Lightroom, go to Flickr and upload.  I never said that the release candidate has no problems.  It does, I have reported one.  But as far as basic work is concerned, everything seems to be fine.  The Flickr problem isn't a big one for me.  I would much rather have the new process than worry about whether or not I could post to Flickr.

Agreed ...  but I'll restate my original post ...a little more care should be taken than simply telling someone to upgrade and telling them not to use certain features would be prudent. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

If someone is "desperately waiting" to know when 4.1 will be available,  downloading the release candidate is the appropriate answer. One could always take a wild guess at which LR features the OP might be using and then weigh down any advice with a long list of caveats, but a release candidate is wholly different from a beta.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

AlanUniqueName wrote:

Agreed ...  but I'll restate my original post ...a little more care should be taken than simply telling someone to upgrade and telling them not to use certain features would be prudent. 

In my opinion, you have killed the horse on this one.  I'm going to stop e-mail notifications on this thread and will ignore it.  I don't believe it is our job to baby sit anyone here.  This is a user to user forum, and we make comments based on our own experience.  My experience is different than yours, but everyone has to learn for themselves.  If they aren't willing/able to do that then they are simply asking for trouble regardless of what they might try to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:16 AM   in reply to AlanUniqueName

AlanUniqueName wrote:

I think you're inferring far more from what John wrote than was actually said: it's perfectly reasonable to suggest trying 4.1 RC, given the tenor of the original post.

John was hardly ramming it down the OP's throat as a sure solution to his problem, simply implying that - you never know - maybe the RC might help.

There was certainly no telling anyone to upgrade...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points