Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Films wont play from the swf file when sent using dropbox?

Apr 24, 2012 3:00 AM

I have created a portfolio in indesign with a range of images and films. I have uploaded it to dropbox so I can send a link for the portfolio in an email. The problem I am having now is that when I send the email and test to see if the file works everything is there apart from the films.

When I open the file after it has exported the films work fine so i wonder if it is a problem with dropbox?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 3:39 AM   in reply to lmcewen30

Zip the file using any utility and then upload the complate package on dropbox.

Also Do not open the file direcdtly from dropbox , download the file and then check.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 5:08 AM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

SWF files exported from InDesign should work just fine in Dropbox....

InDesign export 3 items for you, actual SWF file, html-wrapper file and resources folder (if you have placed videos etc, media clips). Copy those 3 itsems to your Dropbox´s Public folder. Then navigate there and right-click (or ctrl-click in mac) html-wrapper file and choose Copy Public URL to clipboard. Then go to your browser and paste URL to address bar.

Check this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17227987/edocker-online-demo/index.html

There´s a video on page 3

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to lmcewen30

can you throw us a link?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:02 AM   in reply to lmcewen30

Safari says that they are missing (ei löydy means missing):

Kuvankaappaus 2012-4-25 kello 20.57.14.png

Are you sure you have that portfolio1_Resources folder in your dropbox. InDesign does not include your videos to exported SWF. They are external files which will be streamed at runtime. Flash Player assumes that they are stored to that resources folder and it has to be stored to same root with SWF itself. If that´s not the case, Flash Player can not stream&show your videos.

Another problem I see about those videos is naming - never use any other characters than a-z or numbers 0-9 or underscore. So even empty spaces will cause you harm. Most of the names of your videos contains at least empty spaces.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:47 AM   in reply to lmcewen30

When you install dropbox to your computer, installer creates a folder called Dropbox to your harddrive.  Whatever you put into that folder will be synced immediately to Dropbox server. And there´s a subfolder called Public as well. Content of that folder is visible to everyone you share your URLs.

You can copy and move files and folders there just like you did to any folder in your computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 11:48 AM   in reply to lmcewen30

As said in the first post....

put the file in the folder.

Compress the folder using the utility like winzip, winrar or 7zip....

Upload the compressed folder on dropbox and then check

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 12:27 PM   in reply to Manish-Sharma

if you compress the folder, SWF is not possible to read with web-browser... which I think is the case here...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points