Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Audition CS6 Product Launch - Upgrades, Subscriptions, Purchase and Pre-Order Info

Apr 22, 2012 11:30 PM

I just was notified the Adobe.com website has gone live with the CS6, here's a quick overview for those asking previously on when to order, pricing, etc. We don't normally dig in to pricing, etc on the forums, but we on the team wanted to make sure you all got the same information and figured I could save some questions...

Tomorrow @10am PST, there will be a press conference officially launching the Creative Cloud and Subscriptions. Before you dismiss, I would encourage you to check it out namely because it, at the heart, is a different method of using Adobe's software. For some it will make perfect sense and be the right fit for how you work, what you can afford, etc. For others, perpetual license (like how we've always sold Audition and other products) is just fine and then you can stick with that.

It's important to be crystal clear on this "cloud" stuff: getting Audition (or any other Adobe application) via subscription/Creative Cloud does not mean it's running OVER the Internet or is web browser based, it means you get a subscription authorization using your Adobe ID login and just download your software from our site ( as if you bought it per normal) and then the install process will authorize your login against your subscription. It's that simple. There has been some confusion and concern where folks were thinking you're running the application "in the cloud" (i.e. connected at all times to the web) and that's not the case.

Availability and "Try before Buy":

Pre-orders have started, but I do not have an official ship date or date when trials will be available (typically the same as ship date). Stay tuned for this part...

If you have doubts about Audition CS6...PLEASE *TRY BEFORE YOU BUY*, we have 30-day trial versions available as always from the product website on Adobe.com. Please download (when it becomes availible) and try it first before clicking buy if you have any doubts in your mind. Getting a refund is a pain and we just want you to be a happy user. We have been trying to get out as much info as early as we can on this forum, our blog, twitter, etc. about what is in the release and what's not.

If you read the blog or some of our posts such as this one: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/988645 and you're good to go, then by all means pre-order away!

Creative Cloud Membership:

• Get ALL Adobe's desktop products including Audition CS6 and a few other interesting things like online storage, etc for $49.95/mo (yes, that's basically Master Collection + more for $50/mo). And I believe there's an introductory price of $30/mo (for the life of the account) good until end of Auguest For some this is huge, if you use nothing but Audition, we get it, go ahead and head to the next item, but if you want to do other things like use Premiere Pro, After Effects and/or Photoshop Extended too, this is worth looking at...
  • Go here for more info: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Audition CS6 Perpetual:

• Full = $349.00 USD
  • Upgrade Audition CS5.5 to Audition CS6 = $75.00 USD
  • Upgrade Audition 1.5, 2.0, 3.0 to Audition CS6 = $149.00 USD
  • Upgrade Soundbooth CS3, CS4, CS5 to Audition CS6 = $149.00 USD

Audition CS6 Only Subscription (i.e. not Createive Cloud or Suite):

• Month to Month Audition CS6 = $29.95/mo USD
  • Yearly Audition CS6 = $19.95/mo USD

Students/Education:

• Some of you noticed Audition's educational pricing went away this past year (along with that pricing on many other products), Well there will be a Creative Cloud Subscription plan for you which will give basically EVERYTHING we make. Check out the Creative Cloud link below...I think it's like almost 1/2 the price of normal Creative Cloud subscription.

IMPORTANT CHANGES IN UPGRADE POLICY YOU SHOULD KNOW:

Adobe's new policy (announced last year sometime, I don't have a link handy) is to only allow perpetual upgrades from 1 WHOLE version back and one 1/2 version back instead of the "3 version back rule". While the product team does not set any pricing or upgrade policy (thats done by corporate so please don't yell at us ;-), we can certainly make a case for our customers and in this case we noticed the 3 version back upgrade policy was off the table for Audition (i.e. the proposal we saw was to only allow upgrade from CS5.5 and 3.0). We know and respect that many folks did not take this upgrade in CS5.5 who are still on version 1.5 or 2.0, so we on the product team fought hard to get a special exception for Audition. There is a caveat...Next release, we have to give up the exception, so be aware if you're on v1.5 and you want to upgrade, do it this release. If you absolutely love v1.5 or v3.0 (or Soundbooth) and will never change no matter what we do going forward...then we're fine with that too (really, we on the team know some of you just love 1.5) but we wanted to be clear the upgrade window is closing for you this release.

Reference Links:

More info on Creative Cloud Here: http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud.html

Audition Product Page: http://www.adobe.com/products/audition

**** NOTE: I have to say this to avoid setting any wrong expectations...but any pricing I put above is subject to change and it's based on what I grabbed from the store price sheets on 4/22/2012, please verify for yourself at adobe.com or via your retailer.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 23, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to _colin_

Colin - rather than copy this wholesale, I've put a link to this page on AudioMasters.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 3:56 AM   in reply to _colin_

Thanks Colin!

I had a browse of the Audition page and noticed a couple of interesting things.

First, they are "estimating" availability from 7 May.  I guess this isn't confirmed but I'd have to guess that marketing must be aiming for that date for them to go into print at all.

Second, I pushed it as far as I could without ordering (I don't buy things without trying!) and it looked like they would be willing to sell to me (in Australia for the US $149 price.  If this is so, they may have solved a major objection I had.  For CS5.5, although the upgrade was advertised as $99 US, they wanted to charge me in Australian dollars at a rate that would have made the cost almost double (nearly $180) when converted back to US money.

I won't get my hopes up yet, but....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 9:17 AM   in reply to _colin_

Just to clarify... Upgrade pricing based on Soundbooth only applies to retail licenses, correct? OEM licenses would not qualify?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to _colin_

That is encouraging... Off to find my license folder...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 5:49 AM   in reply to _colin_

Thanks for the info Colin. I'm excited that we're getting close to upgrading our organization.

Personally though, I'm not enthused about the cloud pricing for Audition alone.  I imagine the idea is to push as many people as possible towards the suite, which does seem like a pretty good deal if your thing is to play with video and or photos, But it sucks for an audio-only guy like me. Why would someone pay $240 a year for Audition when they could upgrade (assuming they can upgrade) for $149 (or $75)? I know you can't answer this question as it's a corporate thing, but I wonder if this is an omen for drastically increased upgrade prices starting next year.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

Thanks Colin!

First, they are "estimating" availability from 7 May.  I guess this isn't confirmed but I'd have to guess that marketing must be aiming for that date for them to go into print at all.

Second, I pushed it as far as I could without ordering (I don't buy things without trying!) and it looked like they would be willing to sell to me (in Australia for the US $149 price.  If this is so, they may have solved a major objection I had.  For CS5.5, although the upgrade was advertised as $99 US, they wanted to charge me in Australian dollars at a rate that would have made the cost almost double (nearly $180) when converted back to US money.

I hope you're right about this Bob!

I did the same as you but at the point where I needed to sign in to my Adobe account the site wouldn't let me do so because I'm in the UK.  It seems that page is only for US customers.  I've already seen Amazon offering the Upgrade (disc version) for about £87 (about $140), considerably more than the download on the US page.  Hope those of us outside the US aren't going to be treated "unfairly" (to put it mildly) again.  And yes, I do have Audition CS5.5 so do qualify for the lowest upgrade price.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:25 AM   in reply to _colin_

Colin, really appreciate all the good work here in communicating everything we (presumably!) could possibly want to know, including how to register a complaint.  I'm really looking forward to the new release and all of its improvements. The loss of the student discount comes at an unfortunate time for me, as I may be teaching college audio soon, and want to be able to entice my students with Audition.  A subscription requires a "relationship" by virtue of the ongoing nature of it.  Few of these students will already be using any Adobe products.  So, I anticipate that selling a subscription is going to be significantly harder than selling a student license because it requires "commitment" to an organization/product that is new to them, and obviously selling a full price seat will be impossible to interest most students in.  And I understand most college guys are afraid of commitment!     So, we'll see how this all develops!  Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to _colin_

I'm running 3.0.1, will upgrading to CS6 overwrite 3.0.1? Or will the two programs co-exist on my PC? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 24, 2012 10:53 AM   in reply to Tom Macomber

Tom Macomber wrote:

I'm running 3.0.1, will upgrading to CS6 overwrite 3.0.1? Or will the two programs co-exist on my PC? Thanks.

They can co-exist quite happily, along with 1.5 and 2.0 if you want - they are designed not to interact, and nothing gets overwritten at all.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:01 AM   in reply to _colin_

_colin_ wrote:

emmrecs wrote:

Bob Howes wrote:

Thanks Colin!

I hope you're right about this Bob!

I did the same as you but at the point where I needed to sign in to my Adobe account the site wouldn't let me do so because I'm in the UK.  It seems that page is only for US customers.  I've already seen Amazon offering the Upgrade (disc version) for about £87 (about $140), considerably more than the download on the US page.  Hope those of us outside the US aren't going to be treated "unfairly" (to put it mildly) again.  And yes, I do have Audition CS5.5 so do qualify for the lowest upgrade price.

Jeff

I mentioned this to Bob in a pm, but will echo it here. Many of the teams have complained bitterly about this internally (I was loud about it myself) and this past year we were told that it was under closer review. The "default" answer I'm supposed to give is silly, so I don't bother you with it or embarass myself. That said, I want to stress the product teams do NOT set the pricing, especially for the international and I'll be honest, I don't expect a huge change from last release from what I can tell.

My Advice if you feel really strongly...please complain to: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html - there's a "phone numbers" drop down that will give the customer support #.

I know that's like asking you to sit in traffic on a sunny Saturday, BUT the call volumes are tracked and top issues are reported so it will be more "real" for certain groups internally if there's grumbling through that number and it's counted. Email is less effective as are forum posts in this case because it's harder to report/measure. I hear the phone support is slammed right now with all the launch stuff, so waits will be long for the next couple weeks, as a result maybe hold off until later on.

The guy/gal on the other end won't be able to solve your issue of course and probalby will give you a default answer of some type, but tell them you're upset about the international pricing for your country and that you want to make sure that whoever sets that pricing knows that you and many many others aren't happy. Be courteous and civil please. Heck for all I know they might have the power to offer discounts (don't quote me of course...) but if anything lodging the call does mean something as the help desk stuff is rolled up and reported upward.

Colin

Colin,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply about this.  I think we all appreciate that the product teams do not set pricing policy!

I, for one, will be following your advice and "complaining strongly" to the UK Customer Support number in order to "get this matter on the agenda".  I hope other users in the UK and elsewhere who are similarly "disadvantaged" by the current policy will do likewise.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:18 AM   in reply to emmrecs

Colin, I will be holding on to those links and revisiting this when my responsibilities become official.  Great stuff!  For smaller schools and programs, I'm assuming it will be up to the student to purchase their own software, and that's what I'd expected in my case.  So I appreciate the info you've added which opens up a couple of other possibilities.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 12:21 AM   in reply to emmrecs

Just to update--I've looked into the pre-order situation again and Adobe have "fixed" their site so I'm taken to the Australian site--and prices are, like last time, almost exactly double the American pricing.  I'll be following Colin's advice and complaining to the customer support number.  The way exchange rates work now, this is total price gouging, probably just because they can get away with it.

It might be worth pointing out that any of the competitors I know of will let international customers purchase download copies from the American site at American prices.  Obviously I can't speak for every software provider but Adobe is definitely an odd one out on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 1:13 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Hi Bob.

Not quite as "bad" in UK; download price about £70GBP, equivalent to about $115US.  But still, as you say, "total gouging".

I've never before met a software manufacturer/distributor who is, apparently so USA-centric.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 2:01 AM   in reply to emmrecs

I'll have to do the upgrade from AA3 which is listed for me as A$279/US$299 for the DVD and A$229 for a download.  So it's darn near  double the $149 US price.  Ten perscent of that is the GST (our equivalent to VAT)--but, of course, that wouldn't be payable if I was able to buy from the US site.

As for the excuse of "the cost of maintaining an Australian office"....well A) costs here certainly aren't double those in the USA and, B) their Aussie office is no use to me anyway--once you get outside the core graphics products, they're way out of their depth.

Ah well...maybe they're picking on us for being the only industrial economy not to have gone into recession!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Apr 30, 2012 2:51 AM   in reply to Bob Howes

Bob Howes wrote:

Ten perscent of that is the GST (our equivalent to VAT)--but, of course, that wouldn't be payable if I was able to buy from the US site.

Hmmm.... that might work in Oz, but it doesn't in the UK as far as I'm aware, not any more. They changed all the VAT regulations significantly recently - the idea being that they could make far more money out of increasing levels of 'importing' of products like Audition. Yes, they've included download services in it, and if you are a large company, you are more or less obliged to deal with this somehow (although I don't have the details).

Oh, and I like 'Ten Perscent' - the whole thing absolutely stinks! How much? Well as far as I can make out, they'd consider the Cloud rental option as the provision of a service, so it's vattable. Even if they supply help files - which you might think would be zero-rated, like books - they can still charge VAT on this because they say that the zero rating in that case applies to actual goods, and not what they'd call a 'service'. The people behind this are pretty evil.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 4:33 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

That's a pretty negative change since I left the UK then.

Down here in Aus, the threshold level for import duty is $1000 so even the boxed version would be duty free if I could buy it from the USA.  Being honest, I now buy the majority of my hardware like microphones from the US since I'm mean enough that most of mine come in under the threshold if I buy one (or sometimes two) at a time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 7:06 PM   in reply to _colin_

I'll probably be run out of town for asking this, but what are the chances Audition CS6 will be available for purchase on the Mac App store?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to _colin_

That's what I thought.  Thanks for answering. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to _colin_

And just to confirm - I was able to use my Soundbooth CS3 license as a basis for activating my Audition CS6. To Colin's point - my OEM copy of Soundbooth CS3 was on an Adobe disc, with a serial number sticker on the envelope.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Wrldtvlr

Thanks for the verification, Wrldtrvlr.

I wanted to make one update to Colin's original post, and that's that the introductory offer for full Creative Cloud subscriptions is $29.99/mo as an annual subscription for the first year if you are a current registered user of any Creative Suite or CS product between CS3-CS6.  After 12 months, the monthly rate for the annual plan will be $49.99.  I believe this upgrade offer expires sometime between August and the end of the year, but I don't see that noted on the site.

This includes access to every application in the Adobe Master Collection, in addition to several Cloud-only tools, services, and applications.  Some users have noticed that Adobe has pulled several applications, including Audition, from educational pricing.  Instead, they're offering the full Cloud subscription for $29.99/mo on an annual basis. 

I'll be happy to answer anyone's questions about the Creative Cloud service as it's a pretty big shift from the status quo here at Adobe.  There's a lot of speculation and misinformation floating around the net, so anything I can do to dispel or confirm the myths, I'm happy to do.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)