• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can InDesign CS6 handle pattern swatches?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2012 Apr 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I layout catalogs and production materials for a pajama company, and I use pattern swatches extensively to depict our pajama prints on illustrated garment blanks.  I'm currently using CS3 (and trying to convince my boss to upgrade), and I have to do all my layout in Illlustrator because InDesign can't do anything with the pattern swatches.  I know I can import objects that have a pattern swatch applied, and, while it looks pixellated, prints correctly.  But where I can't alter them or re-apply the swatch or anything, it's too much of a hassle in going back and forth between the programs.  So much so, that I haven't been using InDesign at all. 

I'm fine with creating the swatches in Illustrator, but I need to be able to create a pattern swatch pallette for InDesign or something. Anything.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afraid not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pending this new feature for InDesign CS7 (or perhaps 8), have you ever tried Teacup's PatternMaker?

http://www.teacupsoftware.com/products/patternmaker1_0.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ [Jongware]

I haven't heard of the Teacup software- I'll definitely look in to it.

@ Steve Werner

It was seeing the improved pattern swatch stuff in CS6 that got me looking in to this issue again.  I think the fact that CS6 is now available in 64 bit will be enough to convince my boss to upgrade, but the more I can improve my workflow the better.

Thanks for the replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6 is still 32 bit. Illy has moved the 64.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

poop.  I had seen that Illustrator would have better pattern swatch creation tools (which is what re-ignited my interest in this subject). Then I saw that it would come in 64 bit, and I assumed InDesign would, too.

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

what will happen the pattern i created with pattern maker at the end of the trial period ? does it stay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ask the developer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are definitely some things which Illustrator is better at doing. Pattern swatches is one of them. In fact, Illustrator CS6 has a much improved method for creating pattern swatches.

See this Adobe TV video:

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-design-center/adobe-illustrator-cs6-sneak-peek-pattern-creation/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2014 Aug 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lame sauce   shame on u adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ATTN ADOBE: This is definitely a highly desirable feature, please consider it for a future upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines