Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Lightroom oversaturating blues in TIFFs

Apr 24, 2012 10:20 AM

Tags: #cs5 #color #blue #lr3 #saturation #lightroom3.6 #lr4 #lightroom4

Recently I have had a problem with Lightroom over saturating the blues in the skys of my photos.  I start with a RAW file from my Canon 1Ds Mark 3.  I start processing it in Lightroom and then send it to Photoshop CS5 as a TIFF to do more editing.  The file is saved as a TIFF and appears in the lightroom catalog.  In lightroom the skys are now highly saturated, much more than in CS5.  I can view the Tiff file in the Windows Preview window and it looks the same as in CS5.  If I use lightroom to export to a JPG, the JPG is saturated just like the TIFF appears in Lightroom.  Windows Preview shows the JPG highly saturated just like it looks in Lightroom.  This problem started in Lightroom 3.6 and has continuted in Lightroom 4.  I first noticed it in February 2012.  I am using the ProRGB color space when opening it if CS5 and as the workspace in Photoshop CS5.  It makes no difference if I save the files in 16 bit color or 8 bit color.  Color Management Policies in CS5 are set to Preserve Embeded Profiles.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both LR4 and CS5, but that had no effect.

These 2 screen captures show how the blues became more saturated in Lightroom after being edited in Photoshop.  Since I do not have Camera RAW 7, I tell Lightroom 4 to render in Lightroom and send a TIFF to CS5.  Can anyone tell me what is causing the shiff in the blues?

ScreenFS.jpgScreenLR.JPG

System

Lightroom version: 4.0 [814577]

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0.4 (12.0.4x20110407 [20110407.r.1265 2011/04/07:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x64

Operating system: Windows 7 Business Edition

Version: 6.1 [7601]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Physical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 8190.5 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8190.5 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 784.5 MB (9.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 762.4 MB

Memory cache size: 31.7 MB

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce8800 GTX

Video Memory : 731 MB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 3:11 PM   in reply to Blue Baron II

Develop defaults for Tiffs got messed up. Check your HSL panel to see if all the sliders are at zero.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 4:53 PM   in reply to Blue Baron II

Like I said, the Develop defaults for Tiff files have been modified. Whether you did it on purpouse or by mistake, or something got corrupted — I don't know.

To restore, select a Tiff file, go to Develop module and click Develop>Set Develop Default>Restore Adobe defaults. From now on, all new Tiffs should look right.

You may need to reset HSL sliders for the older Tiffs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points