Skip navigation
dj_as
Currently Being Moderated

Book module / Blurb weird colour management issues

Apr 24, 2012 1:38 PM

Tags: #lightroom4 #book_module

I created a book using LR4 and today I received the finished item from Blurb... with a weird issue regarding the colour of the spine.

Both the spine and typography on the front cover are supposed to be the same shade of blue (R=0, G=0, B=255). This would match a previous book I'd created with booksmart.

Today I received the book and the spine and cover typography are different shades. The cover is correct, but the colour on the spine is not.

In Lightroom, the colour of the spine is displayed correctly. If I export a PDF from Lightroom, the spine and cover are the same shade (the shade is correct if viewed in a colour managed app), so it would appear that Lightroom can render the PDF correctly.

For some reason, the printed book has an incorrectly coloured spine. Its almost as if somewhere along the chain, the colour management of the spine has broken down and the incorrect shade of blue has been printed.

Here is a screenshot of the colour of the spine and cover as the identical shade of blue when exported as a PDF: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreas-sakka/7110287043/in/photostream

Here is a photo of the cover of the delivered book - somehow the spine and cover are now different shades: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andreas-sakka/6964213960/

Weird or what? From what I've been reading online, when LR sends the book to Blurb, it actually renders a PDF and then uploads that. If this is the case, how the h*ck can the colour management fail on a small part of the PDF?!

I've sent a message to customer support so lets see what they say.

Theories anyone?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 5:05 PM   in reply to dj_as

How did you put all that graphics into the book module?

Where did you enter the blue rgb value of 0,0,255?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2012 7:08 AM   in reply to dj_as

What color space was the image in Photoshop when you entered 0,0,255 into the color picker? I assume ProPhoto.

Can you recheck if you set 0.0.255 as page background in the Book module. Did you sample the color with the eye dropper from the photo, by any chance?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points