Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I feel taken advantage of by Adobe!

Apr 24, 2012 1:30 AM

I purchased a CS5 upgrade in late November because I was afraid to wait any longer due to the fear caused by Adobe's announcement of the change in upgrade policies.  Adobe caused me to be afraid to wait, and now, the ones that waited are being rewarded with a complimentary upgrade.  The customer service chat person "Junaid" has told me that the contact information of the proper person for me to express my opinion to is not available.  Adobe does not have email support.   I must pay Adobe for the privilege of speaking with them on the telephone.  I am very disappointed.  I feel like I have been taken advantage of.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to Bryan Conner

Thousands of other users agree with you, but in these user-to-user forums, what do you expect your fellow users to do about it?  You're not addressing Adobe here, even though some Adobe staff members do contribute as volunteers to the forums on their own time.

Countless other users are in the same situation you find yourself right now unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to Bryan Conner

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Bryan Conner

We can hope that Adobe has some Social Media listening system in place to capture the mood of their customers.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:09 AM   in reply to acresofgreen

That social media listening system is simply paying attention to the press. Adobe's 1-version-back upgrade policy was covered heavily (and negatively) in the trade media. Adobe relies on that trade media to hype new features and sell new versions. That is the Achilles' heel.  In addition to contacting Adobe directly, be sure to raise your voice on graphics trade web sites and whatever social media service that can offer large scale polling.

Most of Adobe's customers work in the sales/marketing/advertising market. We are the tastemakers. Surely we users should be able to market our concerns better than any other politcal action group.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 8:07 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

I'm in the same boat. I purchased my copy of CS5 the last week in Dec. 2011. I waited hoping Adobe would change it's policy. It didn't, not until the deadline passed. I had been waiting for CS6. Now I'm stuck with buying two upgrades. And others who waited until after the deadline only have to buy one. Not Fair, I cry Foul!!

If Adobe was going to change the policy, do it before the deadline, or give a free upgrade to those who purchased just before you (Adobe) changed your policy, and came out with the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:39 AM   in reply to Bryan Conner

You may have received bogus information (which is typical from a third party call center in a cheap country). The only reason why Adobe would charge for a call is to provide technical support. It does not sound like this is technical support. This is strictly a customer service/sales issue. There should be no charge to call.

See this discussion:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/01/new-upgrade-options-for-cs3-and-c s4-customers.html

Adobe Support and Customer Service

800-833-6687
    Monday–Friday, 5am–7pm PST

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to Bryan Conner

Adobe has become monolithic and arrogant, their recent disastrous attempt at strong-arming everyone into upgrading to CS5/5.5 should make that clear.

I work in IT Sales and the feedback I hear regarding Adobe and how they deal with their user-base is overwhelmingly negative.

As a Photoshop CS5 user I'm not seeing anything in CS6 that is a must have for me on a day-to-day basis, YMMV; perhaps I'll wait for the CS6/7 Grace Period!  

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:11 AM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Marian Driscoll wrote:

Most of Adobe's customers work in the sales/marketing/advertising market. We are the tastemakers. Surely we users should be able to market our concerns better than any other politcal action group.

You'd think we'd have a head-start on this, wouldn't you? Unfortunately Adobe has spent the last 10yrs decimating the opposition so that we really only have one option left at the Professional, and even Prosumer, level. I mean, what else is out there as an alternative to full-on Photoshop... GIMP?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to pf22

pf22 wrote:

...what else is out there as an alternative to full-on Photoshop...?

You've already mentioned it.

pf22 wrote:

...As a Photoshop CS5 user I'm not seeing anything in CS6 that is a must have...

The alternative is what we already have.

Adobe needs to be a stronger competitor to itself by offering more valuable features in new software... or it has to turn stagnant software from a product into a service.

GIMP could be a much stronger competitor if we donated money or time to its development. For working with only donations and grants, open source graphics developers have done quite well. Take a peek at Darktable, RawTherapee, GIMP, Inkscape, Scribus, Blender, MyPaint, Synfig, and Phatch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,950 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 24, 2012 2:03 PM   in reply to Marian Driscoll

Having used CS6 exclussively for a month now, I'd miss ACR7, but other than that, I can't think of anything I can't do without.  I feels kind of strange that the one version upgrade policy should come at the same time as a non-essential new version.   CS6 is definitely not worth the NZ$750 it will cost me to upgrade, but I am trapped by the single version upgrade thing.   If there were an alternative that came even close, I would DEFINITELY be switching to it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Seems to me that this kind of end user conclusion for perpetual licenses has been inevitable since one-version-back was announced.

In effect, a sunset policy has been introduced for perpetual licenses.

There is no longer any incentive for any killer new features in any future upgrade. And the 14 product simultaneous upgrade cycle every 24 months is unsustainable and spikes Adobe's revenue in a drawn out, volatile way. 24 months is a long time between drinks.

The big new innovation in CS6 (for those who are tempted) is Creative Cloud and the promised drip-fed updates. Everything else is incremental.

The onus is now on perpetual license users to keep themselves eligible for upgrades (by upgrading) rather than Adobe to innovate. Perpetual licenses clearly don't interest Adobe any more. CS5's nascent experiment with subscriptions has evolved into a seemingly workable business model.

Subscribing to the Cloud (monthly or annually) may be the only remaining option when perpetual licenses are eventually discontinued.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 24, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to John Waller

John Waller wrote:

Subscribing to the Cloud (monthly or annually) may be the only remaining option when perpetual licenses are eventually discontinued.

Sigh.  Your logic is sound.  I don't look forward to the above.  Monthly/subscription payments are bankrupting the world.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,950 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 24, 2012 6:06 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Surely, at this rate, there will come a time when no one bothers to update.  We all managed fine with CS5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:13 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Didin't we all manage fine before Facebook and Twitter and iPhones?

Somehow they're all essential now.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 6:19 PM   in reply to Bryan Conner

Maybe, when things become completely overcast, there will be no "Versions" anymore, just a continuously updated "Current" edition.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,950 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Apr 24, 2012 7:02 PM   in reply to Semaphoric

WHen you think of all the apps that allow free upgrades forever...

Topaz Adjust and the other Topaz plugins

Photomatix (which will always do better HDR than Photoshop)

iTunes (hey, you did say all gadgets that start with an 'I' are essential.

OziExplorer (once got me out of deep trouble in a whiteout on top of a Scotish mountain)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 11:23 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I don't look forward to the above.

I concur, but marketingwise the Cloud concept would be exactly what makes the whole upgrade and the grace period issues moot.

I guess »Adobe« just does not want to have customers who can refuse to pay them anything for years and years if they see no need to upgrade, but would prefer a continuing revenue stream.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,526 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 25, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

Yes.  I don't have any trouble seeing why they're doing it.  I just hope they don't choose to go exclusively to the subscription model any time soon.  Some of us still prefer to pay once, then not have to worry about it.  If for no other reason, life is too complex already!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 9, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to Bryan Conner

Bryan,

I did the same thing and updated from CS3 to CS5 in late November. I just got off the phone with Adobe customer service and the gave me a full refund for my CS5 purchase. I will now purchase CS6. The CS5 was purchased at a discount back in November so It will cost be an additional $45 for the upgrade. That's better then paying the full $199.

The customer service number is 800 833-6687,2,2,1

hope that helps....

UPDATE: 6/6/2012

Never recieved the promised refund. Talked to 4 different people at Adobe today. Was told they won't issue a refund. I'm mad.

Adobe sucks!

UPDATE 7/9/2012

Adobe doesn't suck so much anymore.

Social Media did the trick.

I compained on Twitter and was promptly contacted by Adobe Customer Care (@Adobe_Care)

They sent me CS6 at no charge. You just have to be persistant I guess.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points