Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Multiple .mts files - which one to choose?

Apr 23, 2012 11:31 AM

I am using a Panasonic HDC-TM900 for basically the first time with Adobe Premiere Elements.

On Saturday, the camera ran for two hours.  I only recorded one session/video for that two hours.  However, I have four files which have different exif type data (date/time/length) but all seem to appear to be the same file in Adobe Premiere after I import them.

Question is, which one to use, or is there a difference?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 11:59 AM   in reply to HMH462

If you use Premiere Elements' Get Media tool, it should be easy to locate the files you want.

With your camcorder connected via USB, go to Premiere Elements' Get Media/From Flip AVCHD and Hard Disk Camera. This will open the Video Importer, from which you can preview and choose which video files you want to import from your cam.

BTW, the TM900 records in both 60i at 1080p. I highly recommend that you don't try to edit 1080p video in Premiere Elements. It will lead to sluggish and sometimes buggy behavior.

Make sure any video you want to edit is shot in 60i mode and then, for your project settings, select Full AVCHD 1920x1080 and you should get excellent results!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 12:37 PM   in reply to HMH462

Yes, the project will look bad in Premiere Elements because it was shot in 60p, which Premiere Elements can not edit.

It may be possible for you to work with this video, but you will need to render (press Enter) whenever red lines appear above the clips on your timeline. (Assuming you've at least got the project set up as I recommended above.)

Meantime, in the future, you should shoot in 60i unless you plan to edit with a professional editor, like Premiere Pro CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 25, 2012 5:02 AM   in reply to HMH462

I still would not presume that I was shooting  in 60i unless I KNEW I was shooting in 60i. You also need to determine if your video was shot in stereo or 5.1 audio.

But, that said, my free 8-part Basic Training tutorials will show you the basics of how to properly set up and edit a project.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685

And, if you need more details, my books give you step-by-step instructions.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

Meantime, you do know that DVDs are less than 1/4 the resolution of AVCHD video, right? So your final video won't be nearly as sharp and detailed as your original footage. However, it should still look terrific when you play it on your TV and disc player.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points