Skip navigation
jillianwallsh
Currently Being Moderated

Problems running basic text in aftereffects faster than 19fps... what exactly do I need?

Apr 24, 2012 4:32 PM

OK, so I finaly upgraded my computer into the mild 21st century, and to my disapointment, I cannot seem to run anything as smoothly as I had thought.

These are the specs for my computer...

ASUS m5a99x EVO motherboard

8 gigs ddr3 1600 ram

NVIDIA 9800gt 1 gig ddr3 gpu

AMD Phenom II x4 B50 Processor at 3.2ghz (IE its an AMD athlon II 450 X3 3.2ghz with its fourth core unlocked (of which i have had no problems with thus far, as it seems to be very stable)

150 gig 7200 sata 2 harddrive (OLD)

200 gig 5400 sata 2 hard drive (OLD AS SH*T)

300ghz portable usb2 hd (7200) (2 years old)

Basicly, I cant seem to run even basic text in after effects faster than 19 FPS.

I've tried to change the resolution to half, and even a fourth, and that didnt work at all, infact it made it run about 1 frame worse.

I tried changing the Open gl texture memory, raising and lowering, but to no avail, Ive changed the ram usage in after effects to use 2 gigs per core, then one gig, then turned off multiframe rendering alltogether, and nothing.

I feel like ive tried everything in my power.

Now the Imacs at my school, they run the program smooth as hell... and they arent that much better, spec wise than my computer.

Even my friends Imac can run it smooth, and he only has an I5 cpu at 2.4ghz, which is fine and my understanding of cpus is that those are better proccessors, but its not that much better, and even still, why would that be neccesary just to run text scrolling accross the screen?

Even more so, why would changing the resolution not have any effect?

What exactly do I need to run after effects smoothly for a basic text scroll at say, 720P?

I need to know what to upgrade, soon I plan to get cs6 and I would like to have a computer that can edit basic HD properly.

What I realy dont get is that I know people with laptops that are running AE smoothly and these are much worse than the specs on my machine, some even with only 4 gigs of ram...

Is there something wrong, do I have some sort of frame limiter thats capping at 19 fps? is there some sort of memory leak?

Any help would be much apreciated.

Now the only thing I can think of thats holding me back is the crappy hard drives, every thing else seems like it should at least run text on after effects at 30 fps.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 24, 2012 5:02 PM   in reply to jillianwallsh

Disable OpenGL.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:13 PM   in reply to jillianwallsh

What is your screen setup? Most of these problems relate to sync issues in unusual screen configurations and the graphics card not being able to handel it. Likewise, this could be an audio driver issue (ebven if no audio is used, this matters).

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 7:38 PM   in reply to jillianwallsh

When you say you're getting 19fps, during what process?  Running a RAM preview?  Or just previewing with the space bar?  A common mistake is the expectation that AE just plays previews in real time when you hit the space bar - it doesn't.

When you refer to "basic text", are you referring to an actual text layer, or the obsolete plugin called Basic text?  Don't use the plugin unless absolutely necessary.  If you're using a text layer, make sure it's not too oversized.  Text layers are rasterised on every frame, so if they are scaled very large, or moved very close to a 3D camera etc, they can require large amounts of memory to be rendered.

Do you have a video preview output activated in Preferences?  This can sometimes bog down preview speeds.

Try temporarily removing the Open GL plugin from the AE Plugins folder, restart AE and see if that helps.

Given your 8GB of RAM, turn off multiprocessing until you sort out this issue.

Your drives are quite small and, by your own admission, old.  720p video work takes lots of fast hard drive capacity.  Buy a bigger hard drive as soon as you can afford it, preferably a 7200RPM drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2012 9:28 PM   in reply to jillianwallsh

There are multiple camera tools to reposition the camera. If you can only look around, rather than move around, then you aren't using the right tools.  You can also scrub the XYZ position values of the camera ( and it's POI, if enabled) from the timeline column.  You can push the camera position (when selected) with the arrow keys, or Shift-arrow keys for larger movements.

Pressing the spacebar will almost never generate realtime playback of unrendered content.  RAM Preview is the appropriate tool to do that.

No offense intended, but you seem to be trying to run before you can walk.  You're struggling with terminology and tools that are essential to properly use After Effects.  I strongly recommend you start with the basics - you'll save a lot of time in the long run.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points