Skip navigation
djpopey
Currently Being Moderated

Can Business Catalyst host videos as well as photo galleries?

Apr 25, 2012 1:56 AM

Tags: #videos #business_catalyst

Many companies now block YouTube with their firewalls.  To circumvent this and to offer clients an alternative route to see the videos on our YouTube I am thinking of using Business Catalyst as a minisite for this purpose. However, I see no mention of video hosting on the functionalities list.  Does anyone know if you can host videos on a BC site instead of just embedding them?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 2:32 AM   in reply to djpopey

Hi,

BC is not well suited for hosting videos - because of the sheer size of the files, even if you'll be able to upload them to BC, you might experience poor HTTP streaming performance and potential disconnects...

I would suggest you to use a Video specific service like Vimeo

Alexandru

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,690 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Apr 25, 2012 4:12 AM   in reply to djpopey

blocked by many firewalls? I do not think that is the case. We use vimeo for lots of clients because it has a good player and good IOS fallback etc. Not one of our clients has had anyone tell them the videos are blocked.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to Liam Dilley

Liam with Vimeo is it possible to use rich snippet markup do you know? And what is the best method of hosting the vid?

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,690 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Aug 17, 2012 7:53 AM   in reply to matt_no7

Your not hosting the video if your using Vimeo Matt, Vimeo do that. There is a few variations of how you can use the videos, depends on the implementation. Done a few of them into web apps in varius ways be it link or code snippts and web app tags. Not really had any issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,690 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Aug 17, 2012 7:57 AM   in reply to Alexandru Costin

Alexandru, Forgot to ask.

You guys looked much into hooking up to amazon S3 accounts?

So that you could input that and choose what things would go there instead of the BC server?

- Option for media downloads to have file there,

- eProducts coming from there..

Etc.

I think such a sollution rather then trying to get a massive increase in BC storage sollution over the 100mb, this coupled with a small boost if possible to 200,300mb would be nice?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to Liam Dilley

Hi Liam,

We have looked at AWS and S3, but it's a way longer project than we hoped, that would be another infrastructure project and will not help us deliver the features and fixes you guys crave for.

So, while it's on the roadmap, it's probably 2-3 years ahead, we'll focus in the next year to improve BC on the current infrastructure, bringing in new features, deeper integration and building the new platform.

Sincerely,

Alexandru

|
    Mark as:
  • Liam Dilley
    6,690 posts
    Feb 28, 2012
    Aug 17, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to alexandru_costin

That is cool but in terms of an online business 100mb is the dark ages.

I have implemented S3 stuff on wordpress on my own in a couple of evenings but I guess this platform has complexities to make that something thats 3 years down the line.
    So, what can be done to increase the size limits throughout the system?

That are still really silly small limits throughout the whole system like 1024kb limits when it should be more etc as well.

After all the infustructure and hardware updates over the last 2-2.5 years we been waiting on to be done so we can finally get some updates to BC, was nothing done to actually allow more storage limits?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 3:54 PM   in reply to djpopey

http://snacktools.com

this is a paid solution that is very useful with decent video player templates, but they do not host they only provide a video player from whatever server your video is playing from.

http://www.freevideocoding.com/

This site is a free embedding option but no tempates for video players or anything fancy just video on the site.

These are my main 2 options to not use youtube or vimeo.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points