Skip navigation
ripcurlksm
Currently Being Moderated

Allow PDF for one user and expire after 1 year?

Apr 23, 2012 11:53 AM

My company produces ~300 page medical reports that we deliver in PDF form. We feel we are losing money because some companys purchase one report under a single license (instead of a corporate/multiuser license) to save money and share it with their entire company anyway.

Is it possible to have both of these features:

1) Have a PDF be locked to whatever computer opens the file for the first time, so it can not be opened from another computer?

2) Have the PDF expire after one year so it can not be opened?

I currently own Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional and Adobe Acrobat 9 Professional. If there is additonal software/addons that can be purchased to acheive both these features I will pay for it. Please advise!

Kind Regards,

Kevin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 23, 2012 12:42 PM   in reply to ripcurlksm

What you're asking for goes beyond what a document-based feature can deliver. Items like audit trails, document expiration, etc. usually require a server in the workflow. LiveCycle provides those features.

As far as document locking goes, in order to lock it you need to provide the end user with a key. You still need to end up trusting the end user  with that key whether it's a certificate (for sig workflows), passwords (for encryption workflows), and so on.

I'm not up to date on what Adobe is offering in the Cloud, but perhaps there's a way to store the doc online behind a password and with no download capability but with a set expiration date. Still, if your clients are not trustworthy, then . . .

Ben

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 25, 2012 5:59 AM   in reply to brogers_1

Not possible, as there's no concept of streaming for PDF - if the file isn't downloaded to the local machine it cannot be opened at all.

Adobe doesn't have any DRM features for PDF available via the Cloud at this time - users must purchase a copy of LCRMS. There was an online model for LCRMS provided to end users by Adobe in the past, but it was pulled.

brogers_1 wrote:

I'm not up to date on what Adobe is offering in the Cloud, but perhaps there's a way to store the doc online behind a password and with no download capability but with a set expiration date. Still, if your clients are not trustworthy, then . . .

Ben

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points