• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

High Res Icon - iPad3 ( not supported yet ? )

Engaged ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to include the following to my app XML to allow for the x2 icon for iPad3

<icon>

<image144x144>assets/icon72@2x.png</image144x144

<image72x72>assets/icon72.png</image72x72>

<image48x48>assets/icon48.png</image48x48>

</icon>

I get the following error.

application.icon.image144x144 is an unexpected element/attribute

Do I have the node name wrong ?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support for high resolution icons(144x144)  does not exist with AIR 3.2. However, it will definetly be supported in the next release of AIR.

You can learn more about the next AIR mobile and desktop features by applying for our private prerelease program. By doing so, you'll get to know the features of the upcoming release in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no workaround or cheat to accomplish this ? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know where (moreless, I don't mean in detail) a public RC will be released?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That cannot be revealed right now. But you can join in the pre-release program to get hands on experience of the newer version well before public RC is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Varun Bhatia,

if we join the program, can we also compile with 3.3? Or will the executable have the "beta / demo / alpha" connotation, which Apple refuses to publish?

thanks!

Dear Applauz78,

have you tried uploading a reportedly iPad 3-compatible app to the store? Did it complain you didn't have the high definition icon?

thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once you join the pre-release program, you get the sdk and compile with that sdk. However, you are not allowed to submit the apps using the pre-release sdk. It does not has connotation but there might be some known issues/bugs in the pre-release build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Riccardo Moschetti

I have an app that was approved by Apple and is currently on the App Store that supports the new iPad retina display, but I did not include the 144px icon (as AIR doesn't support it). I included the 144x icon in my resources (just to be safe), but didn't add it to the -app.xml file.

So you can upload your ipa that way and in my case it was also approved by Apple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you included it in your resources .. does it then show on the iPad ?  or do you have an app with retina interface.. but non retina icon ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My app does now have specific iPad retina interface that works and looks great.

The included 144 icon resource doesn't get used, but one of the other icons that is similar is size gets used instead (either 114 or 125 don't remember which). The resulting icon image in my case looked almost exactly like a high res icon (rather than an ugly scaled up image), so I was pleased with the results.

I included the 144 icon image mainly for my own piece of mind. I didn't want Apple to look in the ipa, see there was no 144px icon and reject the update because the icon was missing (as the update was specifically to add support for the iPad retina display). You may not need to include the icon at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2012 Apr 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

- Rename your IPA to zip

- Add the files Icon-72.png (72 pixels) and Icon-72@2x.png (144 pixels) to the app folder

- Edit the Info.plist and add references to these 2 icons (where the others are referenced).

It should work, but I don't have an iPad 3 to try.

Note: If it doesn't work, try with Icon-Large@2x.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The method you described of extracting the Info.plist and editing it wont work without codesigning you app again! You yourself can try this out and let us know if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that AIR3.3 supports the 144x144 icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 25, 2012 Apr 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But 3.3 is still beta2...

in the meantime, I submitted two apps without any trace of 144x144 icon, it went fine (I believe the 72x was quadrupled automatically).

However, I think the compiler should allow us to go on and create any icons we need, so we don't have to wait in the future for a new release of AIR if we need icons for devices that are not known when AIR is issued...

Or maybe just give a warning... stopping the compilation because an icon size was not foreseen, in the mobile world, doesn't look to me as a good idea, as in the future we will have more and more devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Make sure to update the SDK release in the namespace url after updating the SDK (lost some time on it!) :S

Wouldn't it be nice if adt would recognize that such feature wasn't available with that specific namespace? Dream world...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines